Active Now

Thebigd
CosmicWunderkind
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » $17,974.00. The bill we got yesterday from the Kaiser facility for Jim's stroke. We pay $90. The plan covers the rest. Amazing?

$17,974.00. The bill we got yesterday from the Kaiser facility for Jim's stroke. We pay $90. The plan covers the rest. Amazing?

We still haven't received the bill from the Loma Linda Stroke center in Murrieta California where the ambulance took Jim initially. But the ambulance charges of $4K arrived and we owed $0 on that. So without insurance what would we do? I have no idea. Become destitute I suppose. Well my cancer would have insured that in 2008 and I'd have died anyway because we couldn't have afforded to keep me alive without insurance. Of what value is medical insurance? To some it has none apparently. At least insofar as it affects others.

Posted - May 21, 2019

Responses

Yes medical insurance is a good thing to have. Those of us who do not have agree it is good to have. We just cannot afford it.

Glad you and Jim have good coverage. 
      May 21, 2019 6:57 AM MDT

Well if we weren't old m2c we'd be dead! Medicare is the difference. Thank GOD I was 70 when cancer arrived. So as long as the dumba** pols in D.C. keep their friggin' hands off Medicare and Social Security we'll be okay. Being OLD has its advantages. But if they have their way and cut it way back so they can give obscenely wealthy billionaires MORE TAX CUTS what happens then?  SIGH. Thank you for your reply sweetie and Happy Tuesday!  :)
      May 21, 2019 7:41 AM MDT

Medicare only pays 80%. You must have something else covering the other 20%. You may have a Medicare Advantage plan, CA Medicaid, or some other form of coinsurance. IDK. But I do know regular Medicare pays only 80% with no maximum out of pocket. 
      May 21, 2019 10:22 AM MDT

Kaiser Senior Advantage is what we have had since we turned 65. That's why I said I was blessed to get cancer at 70 rather than at 60. If I had we would have never met cuz I wouldn't be here. Thank you for your reply. We don't qualify for Medicaid. :)
      May 22, 2019 5:06 AM MDT

I help a couple of family members with their Medicare each year. And yes, the Medicare Advantage plans are the best. Many here have no extra premiums. But cover so much more. I have tried to show my mother in law but she was not interested. She also gets Medicaid so is not worried about it.
    Glad you are here. This post was edited by my2cents at May 22, 2019 7:18 AM MDT
      May 22, 2019 7:16 AM MDT

• i dont have insurance anymore but i used to. I WISH i could afford it. about five years ago I was inpatient for five days, the  bill we recieved in the mail was a little over 200,000. my parents didnt pay a cent tho. thank God for insurance 
      May 22, 2019 7:31 AM MDT