Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » Can you think of any good examples of jump cuts being used in TV or movies (apart from Jean-Luc Godard films)?

Can you think of any good examples of jump cuts being used in TV or movies (apart from Jean-Luc Godard films)?

Posted - May 21, 2019

Responses

What is a jump cut? 
      May 21, 2019 12:55 PM MDT

Here are some jump cuts in "The Royal Tenenbaums." I can't explain them very well but I think this scene has them.
    :)

WARNING! I didn't realize this was such an upsetting scene. Very intense! But before it gets bad, you'll get the idea of jump cuts. And you can stop watching if you want.

From the 1:35 minute mark and on it gets bad for me. I stopped watching.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at May 29, 2019 12:42 PM MDT
      May 21, 2019 5:31 PM MDT

• It is an upsetting scene, but such a great film. Wes Anderson is brilliant. 
      May 21, 2019 5:56 PM MDT

You know, I've not seen this film. I know if it by title and reputation. Yeah, another film I would do well to watch, I bet. I've read about Wes Anderson over recent years and looked up his films just now - - I've not seen any of them. I heard particularly a lot about that Budapest hotel one.
      May 22, 2019 9:07 AM MDT

It means where the film is edited in such a way that the action appears to jump forward in time, either by filming one shot and snipping a short sequence (maybe a second or a fraction of a second) out of it in the middle, or editing two shots together that have the same characters, set, props, and so forth, usually the same camera position, but with something to indicate that the action has moved on in between the shots.
      May 22, 2019 3:00 PM MDT

Who is Jean Luc-Goodard?
      May 21, 2019 12:55 PM MDT

A French New Wave film-maker who was very prominent in the 60s and 70s. His films are not screened very often nowadays, either theatrically or on television, at least not in my country, but he is held in high regard by critics and has been very influential.
      May 22, 2019 3:04 PM MDT

My best guess has to be the CLASSIC murder in the shower in "Psycho".........talk about jump cutting!  it's said there were 50 or 51 cuts, during that scene, but i only ever get to about 48 or 49 cuts....hmmmm wonder what I'm missing?

anyway, it's a true classic......took 7 days to film!!  

September 13, 2019 9:07 AM MDT

I like that movie in all ways.

My favorite scene, for some reason, is that understated quiet conversation 'Marion' and 'Norman' have in the motel parlor. They both come across as real people to me in that scene.

Related image

September 13, 2019 6:49 PM MDT