Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » answerMug » Does anyone know the reason for this error message?

Does anyone know the reason for this error message?

While attempting to answer an AM question, I received the following error message:

“Resource Limit is Reached

The website is temporarily unable to service your request as it exceeded resource limit. Please try again.“

Posted - May 21, 2019

Responses

I'm not a tech guru, so I pay a third-party company to host the site. They promise 99% up-time and I believe they've delivered on that. 

I got an error earlier that said the server was down. I would venture to guess that was at roughly the same time you got your error. I refreshed the page a couple times and it was back already. I don't know when they perform maintenance or move things around. Based on the combined errors, I'd venture to guess they were shifting things. 

However, the error you got occurs when something is impacting the site's capabilities or putting a disproportionate load on it. It's actually set up to be able to handle something like ten-times the amount of traffic it gets. Don't quote me on that. I've forgotten the actual number. I just know I set it up to handle way more traffic than it gets. I did that intentionally to minimize bizarre issues and so it could cope if we had a huge influx again, like if another site goes down or something and the people show up here. But, other things that could cause it would be repeat hits by bots- the site is set to block them, but sometimes multiple bots from different places will hit it at once. They may be trying to set up accounts, index our pages (steal content), etc. Huge transfers of data will do it too. Like, if we were to send out tons of emails at once, ran a complete download of the site, or uploaded a massive chunk of the site while it was live. 

Generally speaking, the resource limit error will stop occurring just as suddenly as it began. You might get it once, refresh, and have the site be fine after. Other times, it can take a few minutes before it's back to normal. 
      May 21, 2019 3:52 PM MDT

JA, thank you for the detailed explanation.
      May 22, 2019 8:50 PM MDT

It's happened to me more than several times and the site comes back up within minutes ,after I maybe zip to another site  for a second and back or even just click again to go to another page of answerMug.
    :)
    I'm not technically savvy enough to know the reasons myself about why it happens, Just Asking knows way more about it than I do.
    :)
      May 21, 2019 5:27 PM MDT

I’d never received that message before. If it happens again, I’ll try your suggestions. 
      May 22, 2019 8:52 PM MDT

Bandwidth is exceeded.  Too many people trying to access the server.  Note:  many sites use outside servers, so it's not just those trying to log onto 1 site, but all the ones that server serves. 
      May 21, 2019 6:10 PM MDT

Thanks for replying. 
      May 22, 2019 8:53 PM MDT

No, no. Don't listen to them.  It's JA trying to tell in a polite way that she's reached her limit; she's had enough of your shenanigans!
      May 22, 2019 12:28 AM MDT

But I haven’t shenanigned...yet. :)
      May 22, 2019 8:55 PM MDT

She's angry just knowing that you're capable of shenaniganing.
      May 22, 2019 9:21 PM MDT