Active Now

Element 99
my2cents
Danilo_G
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Is it factually true that lightning never strikes in the same place twice? How could anyone possibly know that?

Is it factually true that lightning never strikes in the same place twice? How could anyone possibly know that?

Posted - May 22, 2019

Responses

Not true Rosie ....There have been people struck more than once by lightning and lived to tell the tale...Lightning takes the easiest path to ground it self ,so it all depends a lot on the lay of the land and maybe certain minerals underneath the ground....
      May 22, 2019 5:27 AM MDT

I'm sure that's true D. Were they struck more than once in the same location? Thank you for your reply and Happy Wednesday to thee! :) ((hugs))
      May 22, 2019 5:46 AM MDT

It was in America or Canada Rosie that particula story...many years ago as well....
    google it and you'll be suprised at how many stories there are about it.....

Its actually  a shocking number of people that are actually hit and live after being hit...:) 
      May 22, 2019 1:40 PM MDT

False!  Lightning rods (on skyscrapers, airplanes, and such) can get hit multiple times - from the same t-storm cell.   I've seen redwood trees with visible evidence of numerous strikes.  There are people walking around today who have been struck by lightning more than once (it doesn't always kill).
    Given the size of the earth,  the number and location of thunderstorms, it is nearly impossible for one place not to have been struck multiple times since the earth formed.
    Consider this -  some lighting is ground to cloud.  That means it doesn't strike the ground but rather originates from the ground.  Does that means every spot of the atmosphere been struck by lightning more than once?

(Have you ever seen ball lightning?  I have... up close.  It was the most amazing and terrifying thing I've ever seen.)
      May 22, 2019 12:46 PM MDT