Active Now

Danilo_G
Element 99
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Food and Drink » What foods do most humans only eat when coated in sugar or salt?

What foods do most humans only eat when coated in sugar or salt?

Someone offered me a fig the other day. I thought, "I like Fig Newtons. I will like this." I think they were trying to kill me. -_- *shudders* I cannot imagine eating those in an unprocessed state. 

Posted - May 24, 2019

Responses

I've never been coated in salt or sugar ......To be honest ,I don't need any sort of coating to get myself relished .....:))))))) This post was edited by Nice Jugs at September 2, 2019 12:04 PM MDT
      May 24, 2019 1:40 PM MDT

Sugar -donuts (icing is sugar too)
    Salty - chips (potato or corn)
      May 24, 2019 1:41 PM MDT

This is the way cockroaches think.  The faker, the tastier.  It is like comparing Chef Boy R Dee to homemade ravioli.  How can anyone like Fig Newtons?  I have tried.  Since I was a child. I cannot get it down.  That "cookie?" crust has the worst taste ever.  

Okay.  Then you denigrate a FIG?  MY FAVORITE FRUIT EVER even better than mango?  I am astonished.  Truly.

The fig needs no garnishment whatsoever.  It is exotic and just luscious.  Because I SAID SO.

A food coated in salt?  A potato chip.  The salt and vinegar ones are especially tasty when the mood strikes.

A food coated in sugar?  A freshly made donut, preferably powdered and filled with a nice custard.  Maybe a cognac drizzle

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at September 2, 2019 12:04 PM MDT
      May 24, 2019 1:44 PM MDT

Gross X 100!

We had fig trees in my yard growing up and as an adult back home.  When we were kids playing house  we would cook figs in discarded vegetable cans using a candle that we would take from the dining room drawer.  ( No one noticed the lack of candles until Thanksgiving.)  I never ate them and still think they are one of God's tricks on us.  The tree in my own yard when I was in my 20s produced the ultimate amount of fruit.  Luckily I had neighbors who would come over and pick every single one to make baked goods and jamser.  They always shared and it always went into the trash.  I have never known anyone who actually could just pick a fig and eat it and like it other than my husband.  He liked them.  
      May 24, 2019 2:30 PM MDT

I can't think of anything I eat that is sugar coated. I like salty snacks, though.
      May 24, 2019 3:23 PM MDT

Plants like rhubarb are so bitter and astringent they cook them with a ton of sugar and then marvel at the results.  Which seems to me - why would they go to all that trouble just to eat something they really don't like anyway?  And some people douse everything with salt.  Regardless. 
      May 24, 2019 8:35 PM MDT

There are some cultural differences in the way we Americans like our foods that are non-existent in other countries. For example, peanuts: in some Asian countries, they’re boiled in their shells and come out as soft as peas, and are eaten that way. I’ve tasted them, and I couldn’t stand them!  No crunch whatsoever, and waterlogged to boot!  My jaded palate just wasn’t accustomed to that, and it still isn’t. 
    ~
      September 2, 2019 6:00 AM MDT

When I lived in Mississippi, boiled peanuts were a favorite snack as well. I really didn't understand it either.
      September 2, 2019 8:59 AM MDT

Wait, my mother was born in Mississippi, she was nine years old when the family moved to Baltimore. You lived in Mississippi at one point in your life. It's our connection!  It means that you and I are supposed to be together!

~
      September 3, 2019 8:45 AM MDT

• Well, I do prefer potatoes when a little salt is added.  They can be rather bland without it.  Salt substitutes are ok as well as various herbs to give seasoning and flavor but salt is usually my go-to when it comes to spuds.

I also generally swallow lies a bit better when they are sugar coated. 
    That's all I got on that one.
      September 2, 2019 6:20 AM MDT

My mother-in-law makes fig jam. I just say it.
    FIGJAM!
    (F**k I'm Good, Just Ask Me)

Pretzels without salt are unthinkable.
      September 2, 2019 6:38 AM MDT

The taste of Fig Newtons is VILE.

It is the grossest thing I have ever tried.  And I remember spitting it OUT when I was a kid. What kind of perverted taste buds does one have to have to think that disgusting cardboard wrapping makes the fig taste better?  What is that stuff?  It is not even edible.

Figs are DEEEE LICIOUS.  Real.  Juicy.  Delicious.  Not covered in wallpaper paste.

Fig Newton This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at September 3, 2019 7:56 AM MDT
      September 2, 2019 9:07 AM MDT