Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Discussion » Questions » Animals (Pets/ Domesticated) » How do you make the most of your time with a pet dog who is dying?

How do you make the most of your time with a pet dog who is dying?

Do you start a bucket list for them and give them experiences while they have the energy to enjoy them? Or just sit and snuggle a lot? Or buy them lots of treats? Something else? 

Posted - May 24, 2019

Responses

You just answered your own question. All of those things. And I may add, feed them what they want. Now is not the time to have a good diet.
      May 24, 2019 1:44 PM MDT

I like the last part. lol My black lab has always been chunky, but the last year or so, I've been really mindful of her diet in order to get her to a healthier weight before it impacted her senior years. She's 8. I just found out she has four months or less. I started going through the drive through and buying her cheeseburgers while I'm out. Not all the time... just when she doesn't want to eat. I feel silly doing it, but it gets her to eat and she just lights up. 
      May 24, 2019 2:21 PM MDT

I went through that a couple of years ago it was hard. What I did was a lot of talking to my dog about our glory days together like the time we chased a couple of big bucks out of the gardener and other fun things we did. I'm sure it was harder on me then it was for my dog but what helped me a bit was listen to the song - The Story Of Old King a million times. It's about a guy that couldn't understand how his dog could die on him and the best he could do was remember the qualities of the dog. The song is by a local jug band called Kinfo and I included a link to it. Cheers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWpfKf8TBAg
      May 24, 2019 2:27 PM MDT

On his last day, I took a day off from work and just snuggled with him and gave him some treats and water. I carried him out to the front yard (He could no longer walk.) and waited for his mommy to come home before we took him to the vet. He knew it was his last day.
      May 24, 2019 3:33 PM MDT

All of the above! 

I'm so sorry to hear of your impending loss. Sending positive thoughts and peaceful energy your way. 
      May 26, 2019 12:50 AM MDT