Active Now

Malizz
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » answerMug Members » If you know someone who lives in a country foreign to your own, would you please invite her/him to join AnswerMug?

If you know someone who lives in a country foreign to your own, would you please invite her/him to join AnswerMug?

We could promote not only more membership, but also more diverse membership too.  Who knows, it might work.

~

Posted - May 25, 2019

Responses

I have already done that but then the first 3 posts they did you showed up and pointed out their mistakes and after that they never came back.
      May 25, 2019 8:12 AM MDT

• I hate that people whose first language isn't English get picked on like that. I recall that happening the last time I was here. There was one day where I made a small typo and two people jumped all over it. So I simply deleted my account that same exact day because it was so ridiculously petty.

Good spelling and grammar are skills that not everyone develops as well as others, for a multitude of different reasons. My mother, who is an extremely intelligent person, is a very poor speller. I also have a niece who was born premature and does not have well-developed written language skills, but loves to spend time on social media. There are many reasons why people don't have grammar skills "on par" with others. But their thoughts and ideas should not be disregarded or discounted because they don't come in a perfectly little written packages. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at May 26, 2019 7:52 AM MDT
      May 25, 2019 8:25 AM MDT

Albert Einstein had poor grammar skills - can you imagine someone going through his theory and pointing out the grammar mistakes instead of seeing the big picture. Anyway the gal I invited here is a real hoot so I think we all lost a little something and I know who is to blame. Cheers and happy weekend!
      May 25, 2019 9:06 AM MDT

• Aww, tell her to come back. If anyone tries to correct her grammar, I'll punch 'em in the donut hole!
      May 25, 2019 9:10 AM MDT

Ya but if I tell her that it would scare her because she is into that peace and love crap. What might work is if I trick her into thinking you know BoreAxe127. Years ago she made a post on a Jamaican Forum saying she wanted a imaginary friend but didn't have the imagination to create one so I offered to help. Over the years we worked on her imaginary friend and now he is in line for the Thrown of Denmark. Cheers and happy weekend!  
      May 25, 2019 9:35 AM MDT

• Yes, tell her I know Boreaxe127. A little manipulation never hurt anyone! 
      May 25, 2019 9:37 AM MDT

I’ve cited that Einstein example myself, Nanoose; I agree with you 100%.  Intelligence isn’t measured by one’s use of grammar, nor does a person’s use of grammar indicate everything there is to know about one’s intelligence.
    ~
      May 25, 2019 10:39 AM MDT

People who have English as a second language should be PROUD.  I learn more from the "foreigners" than Americans as a rule.  I already know what Americans know.  I don't know what is happening around the globe.  It is really great when someone from another country tries this site.  

I am humbled when people care what I say.  If they are from another country, I generally love them.  But it is almost impossible to get anyone to join any site.  They are not me.  They don't have my proclivities and it is just not their interest.  They would rather watch a movie or listen to music or just do something else.  This is not for everyone.  
      May 25, 2019 10:11 AM MDT

I’ve stated more than once that I understand the differences between people for whom English is their native tongue and those for whom it is not. Not everyone makes it known that they are not native speakers, and when they do make it known, I pump the brakes on grammar-related issues,  because being multi-lingual myself, I know that I am neither fluent nor grammatically correct in speaking and writing those languages.  For that matter, I have never intimidated nor suggested that I am perfect in my use of English, and I have never stated that I think others should be perfect in their use of it.
      If people have poked their heads into AnswerMug and decided it’s not to their liking, I accept my part in those instances wherein I have been the catalyst for it, I do not, however, accept that I am or could be the solitary perp.  There are enough negative influences and aspects around here to spread the blame evenly, as is evidenced by numerous comments stating the exact reasons.
    ~
      May 25, 2019 10:33 AM MDT

• We're not just talking about native speakers though. As I mentioned, there may be a number of reasons someone doesn't have a good command of the written language. 

We all do what we do, but there are consequences. 
      May 25, 2019 10:58 AM MDT

Lol, that wasn’t the intent.  Sure, blame me.
      May 25, 2019 10:05 AM MDT

• I blame you, too.
      May 25, 2019 10:21 AM MDT

I know. You’re entitled to.
    ~
      May 25, 2019 10:34 AM MDT

The only ones I know are already here.
      May 25, 2019 8:59 AM MDT

Why.  So they can have their grammar corrected? 
      May 25, 2019 9:37 AM MDT

No, so they can be bombarded with your anti-Trump rants.  Much better fare, wouldn’t you say?
      May 25, 2019 11:24 AM MDT

Obviously I would say, or I would be truly nuts if I didn't think what I say.

I like me better than I like you.  What can I say?   And, by the way?  Most foreigners HATE TRUMP.  Thanks to Trump.  So, I think they don't consider them rants like you do.  You are the base, you hate the rants.  You are the biggest ranter of all, tilde man.  

YOU.   YOU ARE.  SO THERE.  SEW BUTTONS ON YOUR UNDERWEAR. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at May 25, 2019 11:28 AM MDT
      May 25, 2019 11:25 AM MDT

She has been here and she has done that. This post was edited by Zack at May 29, 2019 5:28 PM MDT
      May 25, 2019 9:43 AM MDT

Diversity is overrated.  It's fine when it happens in the natural course of things.  But forced and orchestrated it is a disaster.......and creates havoc and chaos.  
      May 26, 2019 12:47 AM MDT

Is putting out an invitation that may broaden diversity equal to forcing inclusion?
    ~
      May 26, 2019 7:28 AM MDT

What we think of as "diversity" is not necessarily going to be diverse at all.  Could be just more of the same old stuff. And not everyone can be included because that would naturally force some of us out - their making a place for themselves.  Eventually becomes so many people you know longer feel anything you post is significant and you have to go elsewhere.  Like being ignored by lots of people rather than being ignored by just a few people. 
      May 26, 2019 7:58 AM MDT

Diversity can be defined or achieved by inclusion of people from several different places around the globe as opposed to the majority being from or in the US.  It can also mean different ages, backgrounds, life experiences, social levels, ideas, ideals, values, morals, cultures, education levels, etc. The list goes on and on. I don’t see how you fail to connect that. Also, at no point did I state or suggest including “everyone” (your word, not mine).

The only purpose of my suggestion was that I often brainstorm about how membership and participation can be increased here.  I miss the days of AnswerBag where there were new questions at a rate of about twenty per hour, even overnight, largely because we had a global crowd.  Nowadays on AnswerMug, several hours go by with no new content. 
    ~ This post was edited by Randy D at May 29, 2019 5:29 PM MDT
      May 26, 2019 8:15 AM MDT

Diversity and inclusion can't be used interchangeably. 
      May 26, 2019 11:25 PM MDT

To open something up to a wide variety of participants is synonomous with including a wide variety of participants.
    ~
      May 27, 2019 12:29 AM MDT