Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Do y'all wanna be controlled by a KING who decides everything unilaterally or do you favor the system set up by the Founding Fathers?

Do y'all wanna be controlled by a KING who decides everything unilaterally or do you favor the system set up by the Founding Fathers?

In case you've forgotten what that is allow me to REFRESH YOUR MEMORY!

Three branches, co-equal

EXECUTIVE
JUDICIAL
LEGISLATIVE

The Legislative branch is charged with oversight of the Executive Branch so the "executive" doesn't get away with murder as has been the case since January 2017!

So d'ya like the takeover of the king? Is that what YOU voted to bring to your country? Really?

Posted - May 25, 2019

Responses

His exalted highness, lord trump, believes the judicial and legislative branches are there to serve the executive tree (not branch).  If these branches prove to be detrimental to the king, he will simply lop them off.

trump as a king - ..

He installed his son-in-law (Prince Kushner) as his advisor shortly after assuming the throne.
    He installed Baron Barr as sheriff of his realm.
    He considers any and everything that comes out of his mouth as irrevocable law.
    He believes that he can pardon (and execute?) any and everyone he so desires.
      May 25, 2019 2:39 PM MDT

All Presidents have advisors and Attorney Generals (or wing men as AG Holder put it)

Yes, a President can pardon anyone of a Federal crime he/she desires. 
      May 25, 2019 2:45 PM MDT

Yes, all presidents have advisors but not all presidential advisors are related to him either biologically or by marriage.  That is unethical.  Then again, Trump has no ethics.
      May 25, 2019 7:28 PM MDT

What about RFK being JFK's AG. Was that OK?
      May 25, 2019 7:44 PM MDT

No, it wasn't and subsequent to JFK's term in office, the law was changed.  See my reply below to my2cents.

May 25, 2019 8:18 PM MDT

:):):)
      May 27, 2019 4:34 AM MDT

There is a long history of Presidents appointing family to their administrations. 
    John Adams, James Madison, James Monroe, Andrew Jackson, John Tyler, James Buchanan, Ulysses Grant, F D Roosevelt, Kennedy, Wilson, Bill Clinton and Trump....(26 2/3% of Presidents appointed family members)

Whatever gave you the idea it was not ethical or even rare? This post was edited by my2cents at May 26, 2019 7:05 AM MDT
      May 25, 2019 7:45 PM MDT

"After President John F. Kennedy hired his brother, Robert F. Kennedy, as attorney general, a law was passed prohibiting public officials from hiring family members (including son-in-laws) to an agency or office over which he has authority. But like any law, there is gray area. Kushner apparently consulted with a lawyer who believes that by forgoing a salary and putting his investments in a blind trust, he could get around the federal nepotism rules. Sounds like a good theory. However, LawNewz.com reached out to several experts in the field who aren’t buying into it. They told us this legal assessment is just flat out troubling, and if Trump were to appoint Kushner, it would very likely be illegal."

May 25, 2019 8:12 PM MDT

If you read the law, the only penalty mentioned is that the family member would have to return any wages/salary paid. So yes, by Kushner refusing pay that law does not apply. 

In a1993 ruling, Judge Laurence Silberman of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit  ruled not to apply to the White House or Executive Office of the President.  (Also forgot to list Bill Clinton in my list above) 
    (So more than 20% of US Presidents appointed family)

Association of American Physicians and Surgeons, Inc. v. Clinton, Silberman wrote,

“ Although [the statute] defines agency as 'an executive agency,' we doubt that Congress intended to include the White House or the Executive Office of the President. So, for example, a President would be barred from appointing his brother as Attorney General, but perhaps not as a White House special assistant.
    This post was edited by my2cents at May 25, 2019 8:33 PM MDT
      May 25, 2019 8:20 PM MDT

There have been 454 presidents of which 18 of them hired family and clearly, after JFK, it was thought to be unethical.
      May 25, 2019 8:43 PM MDT

454 Presidents??? No. There have been 45 administrations. 44 men have been President (Cleveland served nonconductive terms, he was the 22nd and 24th President)

If you mean worldwide...I do not care. That is not the topic. Topic is US policy about legality of hiring family.

In 1978, Congress passed HR 11003: “A bill to clarify the authority for employment of personnel in the White House Office and the Executive Residence,” which was signed into law by President Jimmy Carter.

The law states, in part, that “the President is authorized to appoint and fix the pay of employees in the White House Office without regard to any other provision of law regulating the employment or compensation of persons in the Government service. Employees so appointed shall perform such official duties as the President may prescribe.”

So Carter passed a law clarifying it was allowed and in 1993 a Fed judge ruled it as legal. 

And 12 of our 45 Presidents have hired family. (26 2/3%) 
      May 26, 2019 7:04 AM MDT

You know that was a typo.  Make a big deal out of it, why don't you?

Hiring Kushner and Ivanka may be legal, but it's unethical and smacks of nepotism.  Neither of them has a whit of experience in government.  But, let's not stand on ceremonies - few of Trump's picks have any experience or knowledge about their assignments.
      May 26, 2019 7:25 AM MDT

I did not know it was a typo. I was trying to make sense of it. Sorry. With numbers it is harder to determine if a typo. 
    Your post says 18 presidents. I could only find 12. If you do not mind my asking who are the other 6? 
      May 26, 2019 7:36 AM MDT

Really?  You know as well as I do that we have had 45 presidents.

Here is a list of presidential children who worked in the White House with their fathers.  A link within the link I cited earlier.

George Adams

John Adams,II

Abraham Van Buren

Martin Van Buren, Jr.

Robert Tyler, Jr.

Richard Taylor

Millard Powers Fillmore

Robert Johnson

Ulsses Grant, Jr.

James “Webb” Hayes

Russel Benjamin Harrison

Anna Roosevelt

John Eisenhower

Jack Ford

Susan Ford

James “Chip” Carter

This post was edited by SpunkySenior at May 26, 2019 8:30 AM MDT
      May 26, 2019 7:41 AM MDT

Thank you.  So we have these Presidents who hired family members:
    1. John Adams
    2. John Q Adams
    3. James Madison
    4. James Monroe
    5. Andrew Jackson
    6. John Tyler
    7. Taylor
    8. James Buchanan
    9. Ulysses Grant
    10. F D Roosevelt
    11. Van Buren
    12. Benjamin Harrison
    13. Hayes
    14. Fillmore
    15. Kennedy
    16. Wilson
    17. Eisenhower
    18. Ford
    19. Carter
    20. Bill Clinton 
    21. Trump

Nearly Half of our Presidents have hired family. And of the ones since JFK: 4 of 10 have hired family. (2 Dems and 2 Reps)
    This post was edited by my2cents at May 26, 2019 1:03 PM MDT
      May 26, 2019 9:09 AM MDT

7. Zachary Taylor
      May 26, 2019 9:13 AM MDT

Yes, his first name was Zachary. He was the only President Taylor we have had. 
      May 26, 2019 9:20 AM MDT

And you mean William Henry Harrison or Benjamin Harrison?
      May 26, 2019 9:43 AM MDT

I know I mean Sharon Marie Therese Veronica Harrison I  QUEEN OF EVERYTHING
      May 26, 2019 9:45 AM MDT

Benjamin.  I will clarify my post above. 
      May 26, 2019 12:21 PM MDT

Thank you for repeating what I've already posted.
      May 26, 2019 10:08 AM MDT

I did not repeat what you posted. You posted the children's names. I posted the complete list Presidents who hired family not just their children.  As your post only mentioned 18. The list is at least 21 now. 
      May 26, 2019 12:16 PM MDT

Goodness you people know a lot about our presidents!
      May 26, 2019 1:04 PM MDT

Google helps a lot.
      May 26, 2019 8:04 PM MDT