Active Now

Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Diet and Fitness » What are some of the philosophies concerning physical exercise? ~

What are some of the philosophies concerning physical exercise? ~

Posted - May 26, 2019

Responses

Our president believes that a person is born with a finite amount of energy and exercise will deplete your energy unnecessarily. My own brother has a philosophy for years that you should 'never stand when you can sit'. After two very serious heart attacks, he has revised that thinking.
      May 26, 2019 7:57 AM MDT

Chesseburger man is a walking heart-attack.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at May 26, 2019 3:05 PM MDT
      May 26, 2019 8:23 AM MDT

Let me weigh in as a muscle therapist.   

It is good to go for the burn.  NO IT IS NOT good.  There are methods in which to go for the burn.  First stretching and warming up is mandatory.  Second, do not over do it.  A burn to someone can be a slight heat or an injury so profound, you need the emergency room and oxycontin just to get to a massage table.

NO.  Don't just GO FOR THE BURN.  It irritates and heats up the muscle tissue.  The more you lift a weight with a fatigued muscle, the greater the chances of injuring that muscle.  If you burn or tear the fiber, it can repair and grow bigger and stronger.  If you seriously tear the fiber, it is a different ballgame altogether.  

That is where I make the big bucks. From people who do not think before they work out.  Always warm up.  And always cool down.

And YES.  I know I am missing a hyphen.   This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at May 26, 2019 3:06 PM MDT
      May 26, 2019 9:33 AM MDT

I've heard this one philosophy that 'exercise is good for you'.  However, I disagree with this fallacious teaching.  Exercise isn't pleasing to any of the 5 senses.  Seeing someone exercise is gross (just see that sweat pour off them).  Hearing someone exercise makes your skin crawl (all that grunting).  Taste???  All salty and yucky - no thank you!    Who in their right mind wants to touch someone who's all slimy with oily sweat and perspiration?  (get out the gloves).  And smell?  Good lord, exercise makes a person wreak.  If it ain't pleasing to the senses, of what good is it?

How about all those people who dropped dead while on exercising a treadmill. or running around a track?  Exercise certainly wasn't good for them.  Sure, everyone dies sooner or later, but who wants to go out exercising?  Having sex, watching the Super Bowl... maybe, but exercising?  I don't think so.

No, I have concluded that the philosophy of exercising being "good for you" is erroneous.  Pizza and beer? ... now  THAT'S good for you!
      May 26, 2019 10:13 AM MDT

I've heard "The only good workout is the one you do."

:)

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at May 26, 2019 3:07 PM MDT
      May 26, 2019 11:47 AM MDT

That is exactly the philosophy I have when trying to get a client to improve his health.  I'm not going to tell him to join a gym.  I am going to tell him to raise his arms toward the ceiling and point his fingers to try and stretch towards the ceiling when sitting at a desk at work once in a while, because I know that most people will try and do that if they are shown the benefits of stretching to relieve tension.  That might start him on a path towards doing more gradually.  

So, thanks for that idea.   I agree. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at May 26, 2019 7:20 PM MDT
      May 26, 2019 11:58 AM MDT

You're welcome, Sharon! Yeah, that simple phrase has stuck with me.
    :)
      May 26, 2019 7:21 PM MDT

They say "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger." Not lifting weights doesn't kill me, so it makes me stronger.
      May 26, 2019 3:09 PM MDT