Discussion » Questions » Travel » Where do YOU want to go? New Zealand OR Tasmania?

Where do YOU want to go? New Zealand OR Tasmania?

Tasmanian devil - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tasmanian_devil
Overview

The Tasmanian devil (Sarcophilus harrisii) is a carnivorous marsupial of the family Dasyuridae. It was once native to mainland Australia and is now found in the wild only on the island state of Tasmania, including tiny east-coast Maria Island where there is a conservation project with disease-free animals.
The size of a small dog, the Tasmanian devil became the largest carnivorous marsupial in the world following the extinction of the thylacine in 1936. It is related to quolls and distantly related to the thylacine. It is characterised by its stocky and muscular build, black fur, pungent odour, extremely loud and disturbing screech, keen sense of smell, and ferocity when feeding. The Tasmanian devil's large head and neck allow it to generate among the strongest bites per unit body mass of any extant mammal land predator, and it hunts prey and scavenges carrion as well as eating household products if humans are living nearby.
Although it is usually solitary, it sometimes eats with other devils and defecates in a communal location. Unlike most other dasyurids, the devil thermoregulates effectively and is active during the middle of the day without overheating. Despite its rotund appearance, the devil is capable of surprising speed and endurance, and can climb trees and swim across rivers.
It is believed that ancient marsupials migrated from what is now South America to Australia tens of millions of years ago during the time of Gondwana, and that they evolved as Australia became more arid. Fossils of species similar to modern devils have been found, but it is not known whether they were ancestors of the contemporary species, or whether the current devils co-existed with these species. The date that the Tasmanian devil became locally extinct from the Australian mainland is unclear; most evidence suggests they had contracted to three relict populations around 3000 years ago. A tooth found in Augusta, Western Australiahas been dated to 430 years ago, but archaeologist Oliver Brown disputes

Posted - May 26, 2019

Responses

Can't I go to both? I have family in NZ and would love to meet them.. But at the same time, Tazzies are pretty cool.. They are becoming endangered as I understand due to habitat destruction/human encroachment and disease. 
      May 26, 2019 9:16 AM MDT

NOT ONLY CAN YOU DO BOTH, YOU ARE THE BEST REPRESENTATIVE FOR A GREAT ANSWER.  You are practically THERE.  

Especially the STARTLING NEWS about Tazmania.  I am freaking out about that one.  We are so screwed, Daydream.  Keep up the coverage on your side of the planet, please.  
      May 26, 2019 9:19 AM MDT

• Yes, both. I've only seen pics, but I am in awe of the landscapes. 
      May 26, 2019 10:09 AM MDT

There is reasons why a lot of the great fantasies are filmed there.  They have crews working just to help with the filming.  It is an industry in New Zealand.  Xena and Hercules were both filmed there.  So was Lord of the Rings and the actor at least from Game of Thrones was both series.  New Zealand looks like Ireland and Wales AND Scotland if they all swallowed peyote.  If those countries ate peyote, they would be New Zealand.

May 26, 2019 11:22 AM MDT

Come on!  Isn't the choice obvious?

May 26, 2019 10:20 AM MDT

Well, it wasn't until I saw your picture.  New Zealand made The Lord of the Rings and I think we have a little Game of Thrones connection too.  

That has to count.  (but I'm with you.  Tazmania sounds so EXOTIC)
      May 26, 2019 10:22 AM MDT

I would love to go to New Zealand!  I watch this cooking show on PBS called "The Free Range Cook" which features Annabel Langbein.
    She and her family have a home in Lake Wanaka in the southern alps.  The views are outstanding!  You have mountains and beaches and beautiful gardens all in one setting.  Amazing! This post was edited by Natz at May 26, 2019 10:58 AM MDT
      May 26, 2019 10:37 AM MDT

• I have been to New Zealand, never to Tasmania. I would like to return to NZ, but Tasmania fascinates me. Half the island is protected park land, including temperate rainforest. I would love to see it. 
      May 27, 2019 11:29 AM MDT

Yes.  It is really a toss-up.  But I think Tasmania is the most exotic by far.  
      May 27, 2019 2:02 PM MDT

Tazmania....it has Plants trees and animals that date back millions of years.....in a way it's the most unique and original place on our planet...
      May 27, 2019 1:58 PM MDT

I hope and pray no one goes there.  They will destroy it.  
      May 27, 2019 2:00 PM MDT