Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Do you Christians who feel the need to "spread the word" to others because you supposedly love them believe that this is going too far?

Do you Christians who feel the need to "spread the word" to others because you supposedly love them believe that this is going too far?

https://nypost.com/2019/05/25/couple-accused-of-posing-as-orthodox-jews-to-convert-jews-to-christianity/

Posted - May 26, 2019

Responses

Yes, I believe that threatening them and firing them from their jobs due to their beliefs is going to far. 

On the other hand, I don't understand why anyone that believes that Jesus is the Messiah would want to try to follow the Mosaic Law when the Hebrew scriptures show that sacrifice and offering would cease after the death of the Messiah. The Hebrew scriptures point to 29 C.E. as the timing of the anointing of the Messiah and 3.5 years later as His death. I am not the judge.

I also don't understand why an atheist would want to follow the Mosaic Law when the Hebrew scriptures show that there is a God and the Law was a covenant between Jehovah (Likely Yahweh or Yehowah in Hebrew) God and the Israelites. Hopefully they will not turn on you and threaten you with violence and such for not believing in God. Like I said, I am not the judge.

(Daniel 9:24-27) “There are 70 weeks that have been determined for your people and your holy city, in order to terminate the transgression, to finish off sin, to make atonement for error, to bring in everlasting righteousness, to seal up the vision and the prophecy, and to anoint the Holy of Holies. 25 You should know and understand that from the issuing of the word to restore and to rebuild Jerusalem until Mes·siʹah the Leader, there will be 7 weeks, also 62 weeks. She will be restored and rebuilt, with a public square and moat, but in times of distress. 26 “And after the 62 weeks, Mes·siʹah will be cut off, with nothing for himself. “And the people of a leader who is coming will destroy the city and the holy place. And its end will be by the flood. And until the end there will be war; what is decided upon is desolations. 27 “And he will keep the covenant in force for the many for one week; and at the half of the week, he will cause sacrifice and gift offering to cease. “And on the wing of disgusting things there will be the one causing desolation; and until an extermination, what was decided on will be poured out also on the one lying desolate.”

(Jeremiah 31:27-34) “Look! The days are coming,” declares Jehovah, “when I will sow the house of Israel and the house of Judah with the seed of man and with the seed of livestock.” 28 “And just as I watched over them to uproot, to pull down, to tear down, to destroy, and to do harm, so I will watch over them to build up and to plant,” declares Jehovah. 29 “In those days they will no longer say, ‘The fathers ate sour grapes, but the teeth of the sons were set on edge.’ 30 But then each one will die for his own error. Any man eating sour grapes will have his own teeth set on edge.” 31 “Look! The days are coming,” declares Jehovah, “when I will make with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah a new covenant. 32 It will not be like the covenant that I made with their forefathers on the day I took hold of their hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt, ‘my covenant that they broke, although I was their true master,’ declares Jehovah.” 33 “For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days,” declares Jehovah. “I will put my law within them, and in their heart I will write it. And I will become their God, and they will become my people.” 34 “And they will no longer teach each one his neighbor and each one his brother, saying, ‘Know Jehovah!’ for they will all know me, from the least to the greatest of them,” declares Jehovah. “For I will forgive their error, and I will no longer remember their sin.”

EDIT:
    Have you read the Hebrew scriptures?
    (Psalm 14:1) The foolish one says in his heart: “There is no Jehovah.” Their actions are corrupt, and their dealings are detestable; No one is doing good.
    (Psalm 10:4) In his haughtiness, the wicked man makes no investigation; All his thoughts are: “There is no God.”
    (Psalm 53:1) The foolish one says in his heart: “There is no Jehovah.” Their unrighteous actions are corrupt and detestable; No one is doing good.
    (Isaiah 29:16) How you twist things! Should the potter be regarded the same as the clay? Should what is made say about its maker: “He did not make me”? And does what is formed say about its former: “He shows no understanding”?
    (Zephaniah 1:12) At that time I will carefully search Jerusalem with lamps, And I will call to account the complacent ones, who say in their heart, ‘Jehovah will not do good, and he will not do bad.’ 

(Psalm 26:1-4) Judge me, O Jehovah, for I have walked in my integrity; In Jehovah I have trusted without wavering.  2 Examine me, O Jehovah, and put me to the test; Refine my innermost thoughts and my heart.  3 For your loyal love is always in front of me, And I walk in your truth.  4 I do not associate with deceitful men, And I avoid those who hide what they are*.                    * Or “I do not mingle with hypocrites.”                                                    

This post was edited by texasescimo at May 27, 2019 12:13 PM MDT
      May 27, 2019 6:32 AM MDT

I think it could have been dealt with better. The Jews of the NT covenant were followers of Christ, they didn't consider that this made them any less Jewish. You also have secular Jews in Israel fighting with Orthodox Jews who say that the State Of Israel isn't Torah driven.  It can appear odd that a secular peoples want a state called Israel when Israel was given by God, in whom they do not believe.  Also, some secular Jews are of European descent, have converted to Judaism so I guess the questions are "When is a person classed as a Jew? And what does that mean anymore?"

https://www.myjewishlearning.com/article/secular-judaism-is-an-oxymoron/ This post was edited by kjames at June 11, 2019 12:30 PM MDT
      May 27, 2019 12:29 PM MDT

Is there attacking of a physical nature taking place or a threat to do so?  Then that is not the act of any conscious Christian.  Case closed.  

May 27, 2019 1:51 PM MDT

Q "Do you Christians who feel the need to "spread the word" to others because you supposedly love them believe that this is going too far?"

======================================

1. There are many examples which serve as evidence that Christian evangelists are driven by such an extreme missionary zeal that they even put their very lives at risk, willingly and knowingly. For example, according to https://www.christiantoday.com/article/6-inspiring-christian-missionaries-who-gave-up-everything-for-christ/85936.htm, "In January 1956 .... five [US missionary] men were killed by members of the [Ecuadorian Waodani] tribe as they approached them in person for the first time with the hopes of sharing the gospel." Such missionary zeal has continued unabated. Just last November, John Chau, a 26-year-old American missionary trained by an evangelical organization called All Nations, was killed by the isolated Indian Ocean tribe he was attempting to convert to Christianity.

2. However, I read the article at https://nypost.com/2019/05/25/couple-accused-of-posing-as-orthodox-jews-to-convert-jews-to-christianity/ and it is by no means absolutely clear that the couple are Christian evangelists of the type described above. They claim to be Torah observing Jews who have accepted Jesus as the Messiah and appear to be driven by a zeal to get other Jews to similarly accept Jesus.

3. According to the couple's claims as reported in the article the couple's beliefs appear to coincide with those of Jesus and his early followers who, like Jesus, were all Jews. According to James, as quoted in Acts 21:20-26, thousands of the followers of Jesus were not only mere observers of the Torah law but were "zealous of the law", and as we see later in the same passage they carried on the Jewish tradition of offering sin sacrifices. 

This post was edited by CLURT at June 11, 2019 3:36 PM MDT
      June 11, 2019 2:56 PM MDT