Active Now

my2cents
Element 99
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Education » When you were a kid did you hate grade school?

When you were a kid did you hate grade school?

Posted - May 26, 2019

Responses

Not really.  I couldn't wait to get out of high school though.  I did have fun, was active in quite a bit, and had a lot of friends but I just wanted to be an adult.  My friends now say things like they would love to go back to childhood or teen years....not me.  Adulthood beats childhood in every category.
      May 27, 2019 12:11 AM MDT

I agree. I was happiest when I was grown.  
      May 27, 2019 12:35 AM MDT

Nope, quite the opposite, in fact. 

~
      May 27, 2019 12:31 AM MDT

I hated it.  Surprised?  LOL  I counted the minutes till I could get out every day.  Hated it.  High School was better.  But grade school was nuns.  Hated it.  
      May 27, 2019 12:35 AM MDT

I never experienced nuns.  Quite the opposite of your experiences, I loved being  in elementary school but I despised high school.

~

May 27, 2019 12:38 AM MDT

I loved grade school for one half year when I moved to Northlake, Illinois when I was 6.  I got to go to a public grade school for first grade.  It was great.  Then I went to Catholic grade school after that. I hated it.  Back then the nuns were very scary.  They had a lot of power over kids and could intimidate the bejesus out of you.  It felt like jail most days.   Then my parents wanted me to go to Catholic High School because my best friend was forced to go.  I came home begging them to let me transfer.  Finally they relented.  I felt like I was free for the first time in my life.   This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at May 27, 2019 5:43 PM MDT
      May 27, 2019 12:41 AM MDT

• I enjoyed it alright. I liked the school aspect of it more than the social aspect. I was always quiet and shy and nerdy and only had a couple close friends, but I actually liked reading and math and most of my memories of school are positive.
      May 27, 2019 10:25 AM MDT

Nevan.  Born to STUDY.  That will be on your tombstone.  
      May 27, 2019 10:27 AM MDT

• It's true :D I'm thinking about going for a PhD...
      May 27, 2019 10:43 AM MDT

I hope you wind up with several before you are done.
      May 27, 2019 10:46 AM MDT

Not hate but extremely bored. The stuff they taught was childish and I already knew much of it from being taught at home. They had no advanced classes at that time. I think I would have enjoyed them. My son was the same way. His sixth grade teacher said she didn't know what to do with him...he knew more than she did.
      May 27, 2019 1:42 PM MDT

I was bored too. I just was not disciplined.  I either liked what the subject was or I turned it off.  The way math was taught bored me.  

May 27, 2019 1:47 PM MDT

Exactly.
      May 28, 2019 6:47 AM MDT

The best part of grade school was kindergarten because kindergarten had nap time but first through eighth grade kind of sucked for me because I went to a private Christian school where I never really fit in.  My parents didn't have enough social standing in church for me to be liked by the teachers even though mom spent every Sunday morning trying really hard to be in the in crowd at church.  I got mostly good grades except for home economics which I failed.  I never really had close friends there because the school was too small for that.

I got my dad sent to the principal's office one time!  In science class the teacher said the universe was only 6000 years old.  When I came home from school dad always asked me what I learned in school so I told him the universe was only 6000 years old.  Anyway, my dad said that was a bunch of horse apples because we can see stars that are a lot farther away than 6000 light years.  I told the teacher what my dad told me so dad got called in for a meeting with the principal and the pastor to straighten him out.  Lol, I got my dad in trouble!    Somehow, they weren't able to change dad's mind even after threatening him with eternal death by being kept alive to be tortured forever.

Anyway, my dad saved me from going to the Christian boarding school where mom wanted to send me.  Umm yeah, that was mom's plan for me.

This post was edited by Livvie at May 28, 2019 8:52 AM MDT
      May 27, 2019 10:55 PM MDT

That was a great slice of your life that you shared, Livvie.  You were a little pistol as a young girl and so was your dad.  You go, girl.
      May 28, 2019 12:19 AM MDT

Wait...do you mean the earth is more than 6,000 years old? I need to research that. LOL. Great job, dad.
      May 28, 2019 6:50 AM MDT

I liked it. I did not have problems with teachers. I had my little group of friends and that was good enough for me.
      May 28, 2019 5:59 AM MDT

When I was a kid growing up, teachers could beat their students and that's the part I hated. At one time or another, I was also getting beat by both parents, baby sitter and an aunt or two.

This post was edited by Zack at May 28, 2019 6:56 AM MDT
      May 28, 2019 6:53 AM MDT