Active Now

Malizz
Shuhak
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Mt. Everest climbers stranded in death zone I mean, didn't they plan for that? Can't you fly up there, throw down a rope ladder?

Mt. Everest climbers stranded in death zone I mean, didn't they plan for that? Can't you fly up there, throw down a rope ladder?

Seriously, they died from carbon dioxide poisoning.  WHO KNEW?   Well, they SHOULD have.  

Posted - May 27, 2019

Responses

Kind of on par with folks who go swimming in the ocean and get eaten by sharks. I mean, how many warnings do people need?
      May 27, 2019 11:19 AM MDT

That was my first reaction.  The one we get when we hear about clueless hikers getting stranded or people swimming in dangerous waters.  Idiots should have known better.  But this is a special kind of idiocy.  I mean these guys had money and scientific wherewithal and a team of experts and they didn't KNOW they could be exposed to dangerous levels of carbon dioxide?  

I think they should have understood all the dangers they could be faced with.  I mean who can reach them up there for godsakes??   I know my Sprint service does not reach up there.   This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at May 27, 2019 1:25 PM MDT
      May 27, 2019 11:25 AM MDT

All in all, I'd rather be on AM. Much safer.
      May 27, 2019 11:44 AM MDT

I massaged an adrenaline freak this weekend.  He loves pain.  He will, I predict, be dead before he realizes that this is not a joke.  He thinks it's okay to hurt.  He misses it when he is not in pain.  Gets tattoos because it hurts.  Likes to get hit in the face, says its a rush.  He has that mentality like that show Jackass.  The guy who lit himself on fire for fun and things like that?   This guy loves that idea.  

People like that?  They are mentally insane.   People like that are out of control.  People like that could never do Answer Mug.   And yes, I know, that "its" needs an apostrophe'. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at May 27, 2019 1:25 PM MDT
      May 27, 2019 11:47 AM MDT

OK so purely in the interests of debate and devil's advocacy... I will say, that the thing is.. so many people can and do and have climbed Everest.. many have died.. I don't get it myself but there seems to be a compulsion to climb it.. I would think that either they didn't know and couldn't have known.. or? But I am just wondering... perhaps this death toll couldn't have been accounted for?
      May 27, 2019 12:19 PM MDT

I guess it would be a REAL good idea for me to watch my video. DUH ME.  I cannot answer you, because I have not seen the story yet.  

My gut reaction was like yours.   You have to have knowledge aplenty just to attempt this feat.  But you stated many have died.  I would like to study, if I were them, the ones, if any, who made it.  I mean I KNOW there are people who made it.  Study what THEY did.  LOL for starters.

See comment below this one too.   This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at May 28, 2019 1:34 PM MDT
      May 27, 2019 12:22 PM MDT

Okay.  I saw the video.  YOU GOTTA BE NUTS TO WANT TO EVEN TRY THIS.  That is my summation.  NUTS.  No sane person would do this.  
      May 27, 2019 12:25 PM MDT

I agree with you.. but thousands and thousands of people do climb it.. and survive.. I wouldn't, you wouldn't..
      May 28, 2019 1:36 PM MDT

1. Carbon dioxide is not poisonous.
    2. They die from hypoxia...a lack of oxygen, which, at the summit, is 1/3 of that at the surface.
    3. They are idiots.
      May 27, 2019 1:29 PM MDT

Carbon MONOXIDE.  I wrote the wrong thing.  MON not DI.  That's what the video said.  Oh and you are right.  The 1/3 part and it makes the cognitive skills go way down the drain.  They are found in a tent, dead.  Really stupid.  Tent closed too.  This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at May 27, 2019 5:12 PM MDT
      May 27, 2019 1:53 PM MDT

Ah, yes. A cooking stove in an enclosed area. Good way to commit suicide.
      May 27, 2019 5:14 PM MDT

Mountain climbers are a type of thrill seeker.  The taller the mountain, the bigger the thrill.  For someone to be able to say, "I climbed Mt. Everest", is a boast few will ever be able to make. 

Everest is the ultimate challenge.  One doesn't simply pop on a backpack and do a day hike to the top.  The climb takes at least 2 months round trip.  It's not cheap either.  Purchasing all the necessary supplies, equipment and hiring guides can cost upwards of $30k.  The air is thin and bitter cold, the ground is covered with snow and ice, winds can be brutally, and the weather can change dramatically in a matter of minutes.  To make matters worse, one has to stop every now and then to climitize themselves to breathing the thin air.  Even so, there are many who will gladly accept this challenge. 
    As with all  "ultimate" thrill seeking ventures, this one also comes with a risk of death (the odds are low and vary with the age and skill of the climber).  Yet, to the true thrill seeker, the odds are well worth the thrill of the adventure and the bragging rights of saying that they've done it. 
    Yes, many of us think people who climb Everest are stupid.  Of course, so are those who skydive, cliff dive, or bungy jump (a lot of "splat" stories there).  Everyone who attempts these feats know the risks involved before they start.  If they didn't think they could beat the odds, they wouldn't do it.    While any death is tragic, these people gambled with their lives and crapped out.  

May 27, 2019 3:09 PM MDT

They know the risks, and they accept the possibility of death.

Helicopters can't be used due to the risk of sudden violent winds, and the sound could trigger avalanches.

Climbers have an agreed code of conduct to rescue if possible and will take extreme risks for one another.

The boy next door when I was a kid, Paul Bayne, loved board-surfing and grew up to become an extreme adventurer.
    He worked in resorts and climbed and skied all over the world.
    Became so good at it that billionaires paid him to scout out new climbs and high-speed ski routes.
    Climbed Everest four times, once with the Australian Bicentennial Team.
    Lost his best friend and nearly died himself on a cliff on Mount Cook in New Zealand.
    Said, "I could never be friends with anyone unless we'd tested our mettle together on a mountain - it's the only way you can know who someone truly is.

His body can no longer handle the demands of climbing or skiing.
    He suffers from sleep apnea due to high altitude damage to his nerves, which makes him tired during the day and has led to obesity.

Now one of Australia's most eminent zoologists in the study of marsupials and still loves his work.

May 27, 2019 8:14 PM MDT

they probably didnt know
      May 29, 2019 4:36 PM MDT