Discussion » Questions » Recreation » Just as with climbing mountains, why do people climb down holes?

Just as with climbing mountains, why do people climb down holes?

Posted - May 27, 2019

Responses

Challenge, adventure, discovery, scientific exploration. This post was edited by inky at May 31, 2019 7:45 PM MDT
      May 27, 2019 7:07 PM MDT

Though I would delete "acquire rare or precious rocks" except, like the species, as carefully recorded samples for genuine scientific study.

Apart from your chances of actually finding anything "rare or precious" in a collection sense being extremely slim anyway, it's bad practice simply to collect or acquire anything gratuitously even if common.  We just don't do it!
      May 31, 2019 3:00 PM MDT

I agree.
    Deleted.
      May 31, 2019 7:22 PM MDT

Oops, Sorry! I should have worded that better, by using "omitted" not "deleted" - if I'd written it.

I didn't mean you to do that because it now leaves a rather odd reply!  

Most caves don't have "rare or precious rocks" for basic geological reasons, but many do have beautiful stalactites and related calcite formations, and though these can be very vulnerable to damage, we try to leave them as intact and clean as possible.

I've been in caves formed in striped marble, and exploring some of these is like being in a giant mint humbug!

I've also visited old metal-ore and building-stone mines, and these sometimes hold interesting relics. One of the latter has some calculations written in pencil on the wall by a quarryman in the 19C. Presumably calculations of stone yield, their method foxed cavers for a long time, but I think someone has now established the technique.  
      June 1, 2019 2:10 AM MDT

some have job(s) to do in the sewers !
      May 28, 2019 1:42 PM MDT

Yes!
    That is me!
    I worked for the city sewer department for several years.
    :)

I often got sent down the 'manholes.'
      May 28, 2019 2:23 PM MDT

LOL...a pun I am sure.
      May 28, 2019 5:16 PM MDT

Actually, I did work for the sewer department and did get sent down the manholes a lot. Don't know if it was because I was the smallest guy on the crew or because I was a seasonal worker.
    I put manholes in quotation marks only because I can't remember if there is a more accurate term for a manhole other than manhole.

I truly did not mean to be funny up there - - but your take on my comment up there is funnier than what I had intended. 
    And now I'm getting all worked up, ha! Yeah, I know, it doesn't take much.
      May 28, 2019 5:33 PM MDT

Politically correct...Storm Drain Access.
      May 28, 2019 5:36 PM MDT

I love exploring storm drain accesses.

(Yes, that time I tried to be funny.)

May 28, 2019 5:39 PM MDT

they enjoy it
      May 29, 2019 4:29 PM MDT

Its not rocket science actually ,as over the years most people have come to the conclusion that it's far easier and safer to climb down rather than taking the quickest route by falling...
    Now someone say all real blondes are dumb ....:)D  
      May 31, 2019 4:58 PM MDT