Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Is it ok for Facebook and other social media to doxx a user who posts something as a joke?

Is it ok for Facebook and other social media to doxx a user who posts something as a joke?

Posted - June 4, 2019

Responses

• No, but you are already doxing yourself if you follow the facebook rules and use all its features and such.   That's why I am.against real identity social.media.
      June 4, 2019 7:29 PM MDT

True. But you can post as a business or under another name and set privacy settings. 
      June 5, 2019 6:36 AM MDT

Have no idea what that refers to.  I guess if they have it in their regulations it would be OK.  Whatever it means. 
      June 4, 2019 8:25 PM MDT

To "doxx" someone is to expose someone's true identity usually a name or address.
      June 4, 2019 8:48 PM MDT

Thank you.  Are they allowed to do that?  Many of us are better able to speak our minds and tell our experiences knowing that we will remain anonymous.  I would certainly not want JA publishing my name or address abroad.  Which I don't think she has does she?  No not on this site. Perhaps they have an email  for me. 
      June 4, 2019 9:10 PM MDT

I don't know whether or not they are allowed to do that, but even if they are, they should not.  As for what information JA has, it's whatever you entered when you signed in the first time to the site.  I'm pretty sure they didn't ask for an address.
      June 5, 2019 8:02 AM MDT

No they did not. 
      June 6, 2019 7:56 PM MDT

No worse than what you do
    with some innocent questions
    on here...what ever Doxx means
      June 4, 2019 8:41 PM MDT

???? I do not do anything to anyones questions???

Doxx is to make person private information public usually in hopes that the person is harassed at there home or place of work.  ie. If I disliked something that you posted and and felt others would not as were so I publicly outed your real name and address. (I would not do this and do not even have access to that information) Facebook recently did this giving a users personal name and address to a "news" outlet. 
      June 5, 2019 6:25 AM MDT

No, it is not OK for any social media site to divulge anyone's personal information.
      June 4, 2019 8:49 PM MDT

I agree. The only time would if be if someone posted something illegal then the police should notified and information given to the police only.
      June 5, 2019 6:39 AM MDT

What are the particulars?

How "harmless" is the joke?

Kathy Griffith posted a mask of Donald Trump's head with ketchup on it and said it was a joke but no one laughed and it ended her career.  My point is that just because someone cries WOLF doesn't mean they didn't commit a crime.  

So what if it is a joke. If it broke a rule, it still broke a rule.  
      June 5, 2019 1:08 AM MDT

Yes, a joke. No one posted  Kathy's home address for people to protest at her home.

Facebook did not remove the post so it broke no rule. This post was edited by my2cents at June 5, 2019 6:33 AM MDT
      June 5, 2019 6:32 AM MDT

I don't know what 'doxx' means but I'm guessing it means something like boo, hiss, disapprove or harass.

My first response was, it depends on the joke. Some people's sense of humour is tasteless, boring, unfunny, inappropriate, or nothing more than aggression and hate attempting to mascarade as humour.

But then I realised that booing or its equivalents are just as bad and just as inappropriate.

The right response is to report the off jokes to the site admin.
      June 5, 2019 8:48 PM MDT