Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Thebigd
Discussion » Questions » Names » If you've traced your ancestry, what are the ways in which your surname has changed or evolved from its original spelling? ~

If you've traced your ancestry, what are the ways in which your surname has changed or evolved from its original spelling? ~

Posted - June 5, 2019

Responses

My maiden name lost letters. (from 5 to 3) It was changed to spell the way it sounds. It also makes it look oriental which it is not.
    My husbands name is constant but some other lines lost a letter. Supposedly over a family fight. So one side removed a letter. 
      June 5, 2019 6:48 AM MDT

I can only speak for my mother's side.
    My ancestors in Russia/The Ukraine were either Blumenthal or Goldstein. My grandfather changed his name to Davis to avoid discrimination of Jews when he came to America. I consider myself a Davis even though my last name is not. (My middle name is.)
      June 5, 2019 7:54 AM MDT

• My British surname has several different spellings and pronunciations; it has changed at least twice. And there's one "splinter" clan of my ancestors that spell it an alternate way to this day. 
      June 5, 2019 9:25 AM MDT

My Irish surname has only one spelling in Ireland, but too many to count everywhere else.
      June 5, 2019 2:23 PM MDT

Her Curt -- Harcourt, circa C11th, Normandy
      June 5, 2019 8:40 PM MDT

Dads side from 968 in Aachen - no change No change upon arrival in the US per se.  The Umlaut has been dropped however
    Moms side from 1066 in Southern England - no change pre se, the accent mark has been removed in the spelling
      June 17, 2019 1:09 PM MDT