Active Now

Malizz
Spunky
Zack
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » Am I the only one?

Am I the only one?

I begin to believe I am the only one tired of the seemingly-endless movie remakes.

Literally just seconds ago I read that Steven Spielberg is directing a new version of "West Side Story" to be released in 2020.

C'mon Steven -- you have the talent -- make a new original movie, not a movie remake of an already-existing movie. Especially a remake of a movie that is already a classic.

I'd rather see a big theatrical re-release of the original movie (which was, as we know, a movie version of the original Leonard Bernstein Broadway musical).

If you read my question all this way, thanks for reading my quasi-frustration.

:)

Posted - June 5, 2019

Responses

Some times the gaps between the letters are more interesting.....hehe....

Most remakes loose the plot big time.....they destroy the story and new actors ain't what they use to be..... 

To much money destroy eth all actresses and actors....Why they view themselves as gods and goddesses ,I just don't know....
      June 5, 2019 6:05 PM MDT

Thanks, Nice Jugs. This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at September 13, 2019 6:58 PM MDT
      June 5, 2019 6:11 PM MDT

:)D 
      June 5, 2019 6:29 PM MDT

I don't  care what they make.  If they interest me fine.  If they don't, I ignore.  Sometimes I ignore even if they interest me.  If I can't see it on my television, I'm not going to see it.  I don't do movie theatres.
      June 5, 2019 6:05 PM MDT

Thanks, Thriftymaid.

"Sometimes I ignore even if they interest me."

I like that a lot.

I need to learn to ignore more in a lot of ways.
      June 5, 2019 6:10 PM MDT

Remakes should only be made of movies that bombed or did poorly (1 star movies).  You know, remake them into non-flops.  To "remake" a classic is like saying that it wasn't good enough to start with.  Unfortunately, all movie makers see are dollar signs.  They figure that remakes of classics are surefire money makers.  (like that theory holds water).  

Furthemore, writes are lacking imagination these days.  A classic already is already written.  Just touch it up here and there to cater to a modern (younger?) crowd (add some nudity, gratuitous violence and special effects, along with characters from all "walks of life") and voila - instant money.  Hardly any imagination required (and it shows!)
      June 5, 2019 6:09 PM MDT

Yes, Shuhak, you've touched upon many of the same things I've thought about remakes, too.
      June 5, 2019 6:12 PM MDT

It's like reading the book first.... then you see the movie.
    The only book/movie that work with both being compatible was Gone With The Wind.
    Granted, I read the book and then saw the movie.  Many people swore by the movie because of the actors and actresses.
    It was a let down to me. However, many people don't have the time or patience to read such a long novel.
    I did think the movie was good.  I think the book was better.
    This same rule applies to my mom who will Never see The Lord of the Rings Trilogy.  She has religiously read the books in the summer, year after year.  She must know them by heart by now.  
    I asked her to watch just end with Smog because the artists did such an amazing job.  To this day, she will not watch them.
    West Side Story is my favorite love story.  The original. With the dancing and the conflict between the cultures and ways of life is an amazing tale about life as we know it.
    As much as I admire and love Steven Spielberg's work, the musical and black and white rendition will always be the Best in my book. :) :) This post was edited by Merlin at June 6, 2019 6:30 AM MDT
      June 5, 2019 6:53 PM MDT

Even with posting the question, I admit I've only seen the movie "West Side Story" once.

I know what you mean about books and movies. Though, as far as books and movies, some movies, for me, are right up there with the book. Brian DePalma's original movie version of "Carrie" based on Stephen King's book, is really good. Frank Darabont's "The Shawshank Redemption" was good, too; also based on a King work.

In some ways, I thought the original movie version of "Coma" was better than the book.

June 6, 2019 6:37 AM MDT

No. You're not the only one.

My husband and I no longer bother to go along to either re-makes or the serial and formulaic films.

We love original films with deep themes, believable and interesting characters, unexpected plot turns and beauty in sound and imagery.
      June 5, 2019 7:26 PM MDT

I tend to like movies like that, too.

I see from your answer and others' answers, I'm not alone.
      June 6, 2019 6:39 AM MDT

I agree. How many Godzilla movies must we endure. Oh...and the obvious reason is of course...

June 5, 2019 11:06 PM MDT

Cool. 
    Thanks.

Yeah, you're probably right.
      June 6, 2019 6:38 AM MDT

OMG hell no you're not the only one!!

I can't for the life of me understand why all these highly paid writers, etc., cannot COME UP WITH AN ORIGINAL IDEA..that's not a prequel or copy of stuff that's already been done!!!

it's very sad that our creative community is so lacking in ideas!!!!!   gimme a break!!

as for WSS, I'd NEVER see the remake!!  the original was just fine, thank you!!!

and I think that's why so many of us LOVE the older Hollywood films! and the foreign films too!!

so come on, Hollywood,,,get your act together......we're tired of the rehashing you keep giving us!!

so there!

:-D
      September 13, 2019 9:03 AM MDT

Ha!
    Excellent, ben1011!
    I love your passion here!
      September 13, 2019 6:36 PM MDT

Truly good remakes of movies are few and far between. I agree with you on this topic. 
    ~
      September 13, 2019 9:14 AM MDT

Thanks, Randy.

I'm sort of surprised at how many people are wholeheartedly agreeing or sharing similar thoughts. When I posted the question, I thought most would tell me to go jump in a lake.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at September 13, 2019 7:02 PM MDT
      September 13, 2019 6:35 PM MDT

Some remakes are great though.  

The ones that are not, and there are hundreds, ruin it for the remakes that are really good and fresh takes on the originals.

The Woman in Black

Not enough people gave this film credit for its sheer creepiness alone — not to mention that you get to see Harry Potter (Daniel Radcliffe) be relentlessly harassed by a ghost. And not a fun playful ghost like Nearly Headless Nick, but a weird and mean ghost like that pervy Moaning Myrtle.

woman-in-black-daniel-radcliffe

Image via CBS Films

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at December 8, 2022 8:04 PM MST
      September 13, 2019 9:07 PM MDT

EDIT: Another "old" question that then does not allow us to post replies to individuals. This post was intended in reply to Sharonna's answer about her Daniel Radcliffe.

Yes, a good point. I just now saw your answer for the first time. 

I hope somehow you see my reply.

Thanks for answering.  :)

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at December 8, 2022 8:45 PM MST
      December 8, 2022 8:05 PM MST