Discussion » Questions » Food and Drink » I am cooking swordfish for the first time. I know nothing about it. It looks like a steak. Is this a bad idea? Is this gonna taste poor?

I am cooking swordfish for the first time. I know nothing about it. It looks like a steak. Is this a bad idea? Is this gonna taste poor?

Posted - June 6, 2019

Responses

Swordfish have to die just so that you can fill your belly?  What happened to all that high and mighty preaching you did about being a veg?  Oh, I see; killing certain animals is ok as long as you pick and choose which ones, while coming up with a wishy-washy excuse as to why it's not hypocrisy. Ok, let's have it.

Tap, tap, tap, tap.

(I have missed you so much, Sis.)

~
      June 6, 2019 5:48 AM MDT

I was wondering the same thing but being I don't like to cause a ruckus, I take the fifth.  Again.  It's such a pleasant place to be. ;) :)
      June 6, 2019 9:19 AM MDT

I eat fish.  Sue me.
      June 6, 2019 9:32 AM MDT

I would never sue you.  It's not my style and on top of it, you are my friend. :) :)
      June 6, 2019 9:46 AM MDT

I don't hold lawsuits against friends.  The law is not about friendship.  If you fell on my porch because I didn't fix something, you may have to sue to pay for the hospital bill.  I would never hold that against you.  
      June 6, 2019 9:51 AM MDT

Huge Smiles and Giggles.
    I know if I ever were to be so lucky as to fall on your porch in catastrophe, you would be the first to nurture me back to health in all sincerity.
    Hugs and Loves!

This post was edited by Merlin at June 6, 2019 5:23 PM MDT
      June 6, 2019 9:54 AM MDT

I need to clear this mess Randy made up.

I NEVER said that I did not eat fish.  I have spoken about my dietary habits for years now and I never said I do not eat fish.  What I have said is that I am trying to eat only vegan.  I am not a vegan.  I am a pescatarian.  Meaning I eat fish.

I don't think it is right to eat fish.  I think it is dangerous and fish are animals.  They have the right to life just like a cow, but they are not being as compromised during their lives as other animals we eat are.

But, that aside, the reason I eat fish is because I still do not have a perfect diet.

I am getting there.  Mostly organic, mostly food that is grown out of the ground and FISH.  

June 7, 2019 1:27 AM MDT

I eat fish.  I already explained that.   They are not housed in slaughter houses, they are not having their lives compromised so we can eat it, and I should not be eating fish.  

I don't think they should be eaten by me.  I don't think fish are healthy anymore, but there it is.  They are not compromised like a cow.  They are hooked and die.  Not too bad for them.  Compare that to life in a slaughterhouse.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at June 6, 2019 5:23 PM MDT
      June 6, 2019 9:31 AM MDT

I would never wish you to drive between L.A. and Sacramento. 
    Anyone who sees the filth and disrespect to these animals bred only to slaughter and has a heart would become a vegetarian, immediately.
    I'm with ya. :( This post was edited by Merlin at June 6, 2019 5:23 PM MDT
      June 6, 2019 9:41 AM MDT

Just curious---what's the difference between a fish farm and a feed lot besides the amount of water necessary to operate each respectively?

And while I'm still curious, what are your thoughts on this?

A new animal protection law in Switzerland requires that lobsters be stunned before being cooked.

Animal rights activists and some scientists argue that lobsters' central nervous systems are complex enough that they can feel pain.

There is no conclusive evidence about whether lobsters can feel pain.

People are more sensitive about killing lobsters than other animals.

Few diners cringe at the thought of a fish slowly suffocating to death, for instance, but there is considerable more stress associated with dropping Maine's icon into a pot of boiling water.

I used to fish and hunt; I don't anymore---and I have a hard time refusing my dog a bite of my steak.  (I may well have gone overboard on the "Do onto others admonition.) This post was edited by tom jackson at June 6, 2019 5:24 PM MDT
      June 6, 2019 11:16 AM MDT

Fish don’t have faces. They don’t feel pain when they’re killed to stuff the gullets of hungry humans. They’re never raised in crowded fish farms with the sole purpose of human consumption. Keep convincing yourself of flailing fantasies of heroism that flies against the four-legged animals being slaughtered; you’re a saint because you onlymurder seafood. 

June 6, 2019 12:15 PM MDT

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1600&bih=786&ei=szT4XMbVE86osgX6zJLgCQ&q=swordfish+recipes&oq=swordfish+recipes&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0l10.58977273.58983690..58984202...0.0..0.170.2352.0j17......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71j35i39j0i67j0i131.npx0B4a7szc
      June 6, 2019 7:55 AM MDT

It's not too bad, actually.  Not my favorite, but not bad.  
      June 6, 2019 9:32 AM MDT

I have never eaten it.
      June 6, 2019 5:26 PM MDT

Meh.  I don't think it is that outstanding.  OK and probably needs a better recipe.  I just put it in the oven and tried lemon and salt and olive oil.  Needs something else.  
      June 7, 2019 1:48 AM MDT

Unguard!
    No.  It won't taste poorly. Don't worry. He's not going to ask you do anything at this point. You won.  He's dead.

This is a relatively easy and clean way to cook your kill.
    You need olive oil, lemon, ginger, garlic, and parlsey, an oven, and tin foil, not necessarily in that order.  It depends on how much you like the taste of swordfish, which I do.

I'll start you with preheat your oven to 375 or 400 degrees.  Out of the foil, make a basket for your swordfish. The rest is up to your discreation.  
    Man, I wish my spellcheck would come back on! 
    Enjoy and "May the sword be within you." ;) :) This post was edited by Merlin at June 7, 2019 1:49 AM MDT
      June 6, 2019 9:35 AM MDT

I kind of did that, but did not add ginger and garlic and parsley. I think those ingredients were sorely needed because it tasted too bland.  
      June 7, 2019 1:50 AM MDT

Good Morning and I forgot fresh ground pepper and slices of onion to put in your foil basket. Maybe a dash of sea salt.
    The other ingredients I added just to make the steak have a little more bounce.  Like you said, they really aren't needed.  You can put those on many other things were they would be more appreciated.
    Fresh parsley would be the one to use to top it off.  The dash of salt, few swirls of pepper, with sliced onion and olive oil (or real butter) and lots of fresh lemon, probably is the standard way. :) :) 
      June 7, 2019 9:16 AM MDT

I have to try it again.  I think it has a lot of potential.  It is like halibut in a way.  The texture.  I like that it is thick.  It can be marinated and put in salads too.  I need to get a really good piece not something that was on sale. LOL 

I broke my own vow to never buy any fish ON SALE.  But I soaked it in milk first and it didn't smell or anything at least.  I need to give it a better chance.  

June 7, 2019 11:15 AM MDT

You can cook it as you would a steak - grill it or pan fry it.  Or put it in the oven. 
      June 6, 2019 8:48 PM MDT

I put it in the oven.  I am not crazy about the flavor, but it has possibilit8ies.  
      June 7, 2019 1:46 AM MDT