Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Does everyone DESERVE to be loved unconditionally? Should everyone love everyone unconditionally? Why wage war against loved ones?

Does everyone DESERVE to be loved unconditionally? Should everyone love everyone unconditionally? Why wage war against loved ones?

Posted - June 6, 2019

Responses

How and why do soldiers obey blindly when they are forced to go fight in countries where they have friends and relatives ....
    You could have emigrated and then been forced to go to war in the place you were born in and still have all your extended family living there....
      June 6, 2019 5:02 AM MDT

If it were when there was a DRAFT you'd have no choice D. Now you do have a choice so I think folks wouldn't CHOOSE to kill friends/family. But ya never know when a cockamamie wackadoodle political philosophy will envelop someone and totally destroy the brain and all that remains is a fighting machine devoid of all human characteristics. Also some love to kill/murder/maim/torture/dismember/blow up. No reason a reason some reasons who knows? I think it's the stupid dumbs who prefer war. Smart folks do everything they can to avoid it. I'm gonna ask. Thank you for your reply D and Happy Thursday to thee! :) This post was edited by RosieG at June 6, 2019 5:28 PM MDT
      June 6, 2019 5:56 AM MDT

I would never want to hurt a person from any country I was friends with Rosie ...no matter what my so called government wanted me to do..
    If I have my own issues with others I deal with it...I have no desire to kill them or eradicte them...:( 
      June 6, 2019 5:34 PM MDT

No of course not.  Beyond God there is no such thing as "unconditional" love.  I do not wage war against people I love. 
      June 6, 2019 8:41 PM MDT

If I can love you unconditionally, then DEFINITELY everyone deserves it.

The Universe operates on unconditional love.  It has ZERO to do with deserving anything.   Love is GOD and it just IS.  There is no condition necessary.  We are all part and parcel of God and God is unconditional love.

Christianity[edit]

In Christianity, the term "unconditional love" may be used to indicate God's love for a person irrespective of that person's love for God. The term is not explicitly used in the Bible and advocates for God's conditional or unconditional love, using different passages or interpretations to support their point of view, are both encountered. The civil rights leader Martin Luther King Jr. was quoted as saying "I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word in reality".[8]

The main use of unconditional in Christianity is the assertion "That God so loved the world..." In other words, God loves the world enough to suffer for us without preconditions. There is then that postcondition of actually accepting that Grace. The two together are not fundamentally different from psychology's unconditional positive regard with the added proviso that some actions are inherently flawed and that only God knows the true nature and consequence of our actions. Whereas psychology's unconditional positive regard allows one to fail utterly since the psychologist can not demand that we take care of the whole world since he has no fundamentally better idea of how to do that than the patient. The consequence is that we need to be in a relationship with God who does know how. However, this view is not particularly supported by scriptures found in the Bible. Jesus himself said that receiving his love is based on condition, specifically the condition of following his commandments (example at John chapter 15 verses 10 and 14). Other conditions are found throughout the Bible.

Buddhism[edit]

In Buddhism one of the most important concepts is called Bodhicitta. There are two kinds of Bodhicitta. They are Relative and Absolute Bodhicitta. In Relative Bodhicitta one learns about the desire to gain the understanding of unconditional love, which in Buddhism is expressed as Loving-Kindness and Compassion. The point is to develop Bodhicitta for all living (sentient) beings. Absolute Bodhicitta is a more esoteric Tantric Teaching. Understanding the principle of Loving-Kindness and Compassion is expressed when one treats all living beings as if he or she was or had been (in former lives) their own mother. One's mother will do anything for the benefit of her child. The most loving of all relationships is that between a mother and her child. Of course if all beings treated all other living beings as they would their own mother then there would be much less enmity in this world. The importance of this cannot be overstated. At every moment one has the opportunity to make a choice how to act, and to be completely mindful of one's actions means that in every interaction with another being one will consciously act with Loving-Kindness and Compassion toward every other being no matter what the nature of that interaction.

Hinduism[edit]

Hinduism and Buddhism, the Sanskrit word Bhakti is apparently used by some to refer to the concept of unconditional love, even though its root meaning seems to be "participate". Bhakti or Bhakthi is unconditional religious devotion of a devotee in worship of a divine.

Islam[edit]

Unconditional love can only be directed to Allah.[citation needed] The highest spiritual attainment in Islam is related to the love of God. "Yet there are men who take (for worship) others besides God, as equal (with God): They love them as they should love God. But those of Faith are overflowing in their love for God."[9]

O lovers! The religion of the love of God is not found in Islam alone.
    In the realm of love, there is neither belief, nor unbelief.[10]

In Islamic Sufism, unconditional love is the basis for the divine love Ishq-e-Haqeeqi, elaborated by many great Muslim saints to date. Prominent mystics explain the concept in its entirety and reveal its hardcore reality.[11]

Rabia of Basra was the one who first set forth the doctrine of Divine Love known as Ishq-e-Haqeeqi[12] and is widely considered to be the most important of the early renunciant, one mode of piety that would eventually become labeled as Sufism.[13]

She prayed:

"O Lord, if I worship You because of Fear of Hell,
    then burn me in Hell;

If I worship You because I desire Paradise,
    then exclude me from Paradise;

But if I worship You for Yourself alone,
    then deny me not your Eternal Beauty.[14]

Ishq itself means to love God selflessly and unconditionally. For Rumi, 'Sufism' itself is Ishq and not the path of asceticism (zuhd).[15] According to Sultan Bahoo, Ishq means to serve God unconditionally by devoting one's entire life to Him and asking no reward in return.[16]

Other religions[edit]

Neopaganism in general, and Wicca in particular, commonly use a traditional inspirational text, Charge of the Goddess, which affirms that the Goddess's "law is love unto all beings".[citation needed] Mohism, China c. 500BCE bases its entire premise on the supremacy of such an element, comparing one's duty to the indiscriminate generosity of "The Sky", or "Heaven", in contrast to Confucianism which based its model of society on family love and duty. Later schools engaged in much debate on exactly how unconditional one could be in actual society. (cf "...who is my neighbour?" in "The Good Samaritan" story of Jesus of Nazareth )

Unitarian Universalism, though not having a set religious creed or doctrine, generally accepts the belief that all human begins are worthy and in need of unconditional love though charity in the community and spiritual understanding. The Unitarian Universalist Association explicitly argues this in the Seven Principles, where the "inherent worth and dignity" of all humans is a regularly-cited source arguing for unconditional love.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at June 7, 2019 2:01 AM MDT
      June 7, 2019 1:58 AM MDT