Active Now

Element 99
Slartibartfast
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Does the stupid, unscrupulous, honor-less buffoon in the WH really understand his tariffs are actually paid by Americans buying goods?

Does the stupid, unscrupulous, honor-less buffoon in the WH really understand his tariffs are actually paid by Americans buying goods?

... NOT the countries exporting them. Surely doesn’t appear he gets it.

Posted - June 7, 2019

Responses

I really don't think he does. Cheers and happy weekend!
      June 7, 2019 4:38 PM MDT

He probably knows but doesn't care. Just as long as chaos ensues.
      June 7, 2019 4:40 PM MDT

I think his logic was that the tariffs would cause more companies to purchase American materials and would ultimately put more Americans to work, improving the economy overall. 

It's not going to happen that way- economists are pretty much in agreement with that, but I don't think it was ever really about who pays them. If anything it was probably a mixture of the above and him intentionally starting a pissing contest to see which countries would bow. 
      June 7, 2019 4:59 PM MDT

That may be a possibility in the very long term, but that is assuming other issues don’t arise before that. These tariffs hit (and are paid by) American consumers in the short term, and throughout their duration, but Trump has somehow convinced himself this isn’t so. 
    Think about it, Walmart gets a huge portion of its merch from places like China and Mexico, they will have to raise prices; these tariffs hit the largest and most vulnerable classes of American consumers. Trump is either clueless, in denial, or straight doesn’t care. 
      June 7, 2019 5:16 PM MDT

I think he knows it and doesn't care.
    I think he wants to help American manufacturers make more profits at home.
    It may backfire. If people choose to live within their means they will simply learn to make do with less.
      June 7, 2019 5:54 PM MDT

I would assert other steps should be integral in that process, instead of just dropping the hammer and forcing constituents to bite the bullet. 

The problem I see is that Trump looks at tariffs as the magic bullet, his convenient go-to, because he can do it at his whim, and it looks like action. Now, to spin it. 
      June 7, 2019 8:27 PM MDT

People will either buy American or pay more. Or the other countries will cave. 
    We will see how it plays out. If it hurts the Amercan people and/or sours the economy Trump will pay in 2020. 
      June 7, 2019 8:23 PM MDT

Problem is, buying American often IS paying more. Imported goods are so pervasive because they are either more competitively priced, or we don’t make them here anymore,... or make them as well. 

Between you and me, I figure Trump has already done enough to “pay in 2020”, but we agree that if the economy suffers, it’s a done deal. 

This post was edited by Don Barzini at June 9, 2019 7:14 PM MDT
      June 7, 2019 8:33 PM MDT

Mexico has already caved. 

They have agreed to:
    Deploy troops to the border
    Allow asylum seekers to be sent go Mex until the process is complete
    Provide Job opportunities to migrants
    Work to stop human trafficking and smuggling
    And agree to do further actions if these do not work. 
      June 7, 2019 9:08 PM MDT

Let rational minds prevail. For a change. Rushed agreements tend to have flaws. 
      June 7, 2019 9:43 PM MDT

I read somewhere that transport was being made available to move migrants to remote areas where it is easier to sneak across. 
      June 7, 2019 10:41 PM MDT

If something like is proven then we should slap the tariff in effect immediately. This post was edited by my2cents at June 8, 2019 1:04 PM MDT
      June 8, 2019 4:24 AM MDT

June 9, 2019 11:46 PM MDT

It's hurting
    the American people 
    right now...wake up
      June 9, 2019 7:13 PM MDT

Economy is booming. Over 3% GDP for nearly a solid year. Lowest Unemployment we have seen in decades....
      June 10, 2019 10:27 AM MDT