Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » How attached are you to your reputation? Do you feel in control of what you think others think?

How attached are you to your reputation? Do you feel in control of what you think others think?

Posted - June 9, 2019

Responses

I'm very attached to my reputation it helps making new friends go smoother and it helps  keep enemies and thief's away from me.  Not sure about the second part of this question but I guess I don't feel in control of what people think but that's fine with me. Cheers!
      June 9, 2019 9:57 AM MDT

You are really good at it from what I have seen over the years.  You keep your head and you are nice and cool and calm and serene.  

Everyone wants you as their next-door-neighbor.  

Everyone wants me because I mind my own business and don't bother a soul.  LOL 
      June 9, 2019 10:00 AM MDT

I'm pretty much attached to my reputation especially in regards to my immediate family, "my loves". 
    I try to set a good example for my kids because I don't want them turning into a bunch of mindless jerks with bad manners and mush for brains.  

I can't control what others think of me.  People morph-out all of the time which leaves me confused and bewildered.  Then it just p!sses me off.
    I've tolerated the worst kinds of people since I was a baby.  Now I have zero tolerance for those who cross the line with me.

However, I'm a very forgiving person, so I have adopted a new rule:  3 strikes and you're out!  

June 9, 2019 10:40 AM MDT

You are just nice.  Period.  And, I am not.  And I do not ever want to be not nice to you.  But I am because you don't hate Donald Trump.  So it is not you, whom I think very highly of, but that Trump tic that ticks me.  

You are wonderful.  No matter what you think of me.  I cannot control that.  LOL  
      June 9, 2019 10:49 AM MDT

I like you too.  You are interesting and amusing.  AND, you can be really funny!

June 9, 2019 10:53 AM MDT

The fact that we are both on here and do this insanity makes us interesting in a very weird way.  YES.  LOL 

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at June 9, 2019 6:12 PM MDT
      June 9, 2019 10:55 AM MDT

• Fortunately my attention span keeps me guilt free

I'm aware of what others think of me, but not in control of it - Especially if that means being "good" This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at June 9, 2019 6:12 PM MDT
      June 9, 2019 10:41 AM MDT

Do you have ADHD? Or some variation of that?  Weeeeeeeeeeeeeee.  That is like flying mentally.  I have a friend like that.  She can't sit still ever.  
      June 9, 2019 10:47 AM MDT

• I guess it would be a variation.

But isn't everything ? 
      June 9, 2019 10:49 AM MDT

• yeah. im always in control. if not, its break time for me and not even the good kind of break know what I'm saying. 
      June 9, 2019 10:51 AM MDT

I just pray for you every second.  Not a judgmental religious kind of prayer. NO. I am concerned and care. I want you to be okay.  I am glad you chime in with how you are doing.  VERY glad.  You matter.  A LOT.  You are a warrior princess.  

June 9, 2019 10:58 AM MDT

I concern myself too much in what I fear people are thinking of me. I often can think people are mad at me.
    But intellectually I do realize I am not in control of other people or what they think of me.

In fact, late last night I posted a long rambling post to you, and then I got concerned I was too blunt in the post.
    Thanks for your patience with my self-doubts over these years.
    :)
      June 9, 2019 10:54 AM MDT

Paste this on your bathroom mirror:

I concern myself too much in what I fear people are thinking of me.
      June 9, 2019 10:59 AM MDT

Yes, good idea, there, thanks!
    :)
      June 9, 2019 11:08 AM MDT

People will think what they think
    I cannot control that.
    But This reminds me of a situation...
    sorry if I step outside your box.
         Once, one of my Spiritual teachers,
    Neem Karoli Baba, whom upon me being in his presence
    stepped out of his body and took me with Him to the oneness
    in the depths of Consciousness, was on a train coming back from a DRs visit.
    His only possession in this life was a blanket that he wrapped himself in.
    On the Train he was sitting on the floor of the train, wrapped in his blanket.
    A new person from the Ashram was sent to meet him,
    to accompany Him back to the Ashram. The person walked through the train,
    and returned to the Ashram reporting that He did not see him. The person
    said the only person he saw was some Bum sitting on the floor wrapped
    in a blanket.
         Strange what others think sometimes.
      June 9, 2019 6:11 PM MDT

No one can control what another thinks,
    and there will always be others who interpret one's words and behaviours differently to the way we see ourselves.
    Sometimes they might be correct because others can sometimes be more objective, perhaps see the whole from a distance more clearly.
    Other times, others may be missing crucial bits of information which interfere with their ability to accurately understand.
    If the relationship is important, it's worth talking about.

As far as I know, I don't have a reputation.
    My actions rarely make enough of a difference to others to be worthy of comment.
    If I'm wrong, no one has told me about it.

If I discovered I had one and that it was affecting my life in some way, I might care quite a bit.
    I'd want to know if it was a good reputation or a bad one, and how I earned it.

A reputation can affect a person's business, their creative opportunities or their career trajectory.

If I'd made some mistake that had damaged my reputation, I'd work pretty hard to ensure that it was not my norm. This post was edited by inky at June 9, 2019 6:53 PM MDT
      June 9, 2019 6:45 PM MDT