Active Now

Spunky
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Don't we all know what our strengths/weaknesses are? If someone compliments you on a strength why isn't that a good?

Don't we all know what our strengths/weaknesses are? If someone compliments you on a strength why isn't that a good?

If someone compliments you on a weakness you know it's bullsh**. Right?

Posted - June 11, 2019

Responses

I can't remember ever being complimented other than by numerous students. They were all positive. Oh...and one counselor who said I seem to be one of the only teachers who actually cared about their students. I'll never forget that. I still keep some of the notes I received from my students.
      June 11, 2019 6:53 AM MDT

I see you are EXCLUDING any interactions on internet social sites with complete strangers who, over the years, become pals. Oh well. My memory ain't what she usta be either. The compliments you get from students are assuredly the most precious you will ever get. Of course family/friends are wonderful too but students? You do know that I believe teaching is THE MOST NOBLE PROFESSION, right?

You do know that my son is a College Professor, right?

You do know that you and your colleagues open up the world and the minds of your students and that no amount of money can ever repay you for that, right? You are all priceless.

So when I see "parents" or others who dis you and blame you for all the failings they see in education I get on my high horse and just let 'er rip! The teacher is NEVER the problem. It is the parents who have this mind  within their child's head for six years or more before it ever goes to school. What do they do to educate it? Teach their kids to read? Why not? I did and so did a zillion other parents. I'm preaching to the choir. Forgive me.

Thank you for your reply E and how is the weather there earthquake-wise?
      June 11, 2019 10:31 AM MDT

I can't say never about the teachers. I have observed some real duds.
      June 11, 2019 10:33 AM MDT

One doesn't usually get compliments on a weakness, unless that weakness is only perceived by oneself.

However, if by complimenting a weakness it gives the person confidence to try harder, then the compliment isn't so much on the weakness itself, but on their effort to strengthen it.

For example.  Say someone didn't fold clothes correctly.  If they were trying but still were still lousy, a compliment might help boost their confidence.  Yet if they didn't care about getting better, a compliment would be meaningless.
      June 11, 2019 10:41 AM MDT

I think that after reading some of the answers found on various Q & A sites, some mistake their weaknesses for strengths and post answers and comments anyway.
      June 11, 2019 10:45 AM MDT

Hear! Hear!

Some are irritating buttinskis that just have to be endured who think they are being funny. I know. I know.  
      June 11, 2019 11:21 AM MDT