hey!  I'M REAL BUSY!
CosmicWunderkind
Zack
kjames
Nice Jugs
MorningStar
Lenina Crowne
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » Have you ever cut yourself with a knife or other sharp object? Was it bad?

Have you ever cut yourself with a knife or other sharp object? Was it bad?

...

Posted - Tue at 6:16 PM

• 1532
    Yes.
    I keep my knives super sharp.
    About six months ago I was preparing a meal without having donned my glasses.
    I was also tired and in a bit of a rush.
    While cutting onions I neglected to keep my fingertips curled under.
    It happened so fast it was over before I felt it and saw the blood.
    I'd sliced off the tip of my left middle finger and nail.
    The nerve is still damaged - a very weird sensation in response to contact - slightly numb and yet hyper-sensitive at the same time.
    I think it's very slowly coming right again.
      June 11, 2019 6:30 PM MDT
    4

• 6545
    HOLY MOLY!  I'm glad you're o.k.  I'm sure I'd be crying from both the onion and my missing part of finger.  OUCH!
    Note to self: Buy an onion slicer on the way back from the hospital. 
      June 12, 2019 12:03 AM MDT
    2

• 2700
    Of course I have.  In fact, the only way to break in a new knife is to deeply slice oneself.
    Even so, none of the scars I have are from knife wounds (unless you count cat claws)
      June 11, 2019 6:32 PM MDT
    5

• 8851
    Yes, but never deep enough to need medical attention.
      June 11, 2019 8:48 PM MDT
    4

• 6797
    I used to get cut a lot using glass but what was in the glass was how I got cut.
      June 11, 2019 11:58 PM MDT
    3

• 6545
    I'll bite.  What, per say, was in the glass?  Knives, perhaps?
      June 12, 2019 12:05 AM MDT
    3

• 6797
    Usually rum and coke.
      June 12, 2019 12:08 AM MDT
    3

• 6545
    Maybe I'm tired but I'm still fumbling on envisioning your scenario.
    Did the rum rumble you into cutting the coke and the coke cut you back?
      June 12, 2019 12:29 AM MDT
    2

• 6797
    I was cut or half-cut from saucing up too much rum and coke. I hear that expression used around here sometimes to say a person is drunk 

"I had an accident with glass last night"

"Oh ya got badly cut didja?"

"Yeah but it was what was in the glass that got me cut". This post was edited by Kittigate at June 15, 2019 4:58 PM MDT
      June 12, 2019 1:04 AM MDT
    3

• 6545
    Gotcha! That one should have been easy for me.
    Maybe I had had too many rum toddies when I read it last night.  ;) Thanks kittigate! :)
      June 12, 2019 9:46 AM MDT
    2

• 35815
    Forget the knives, it's always glass with me.  I have had some glassadents. 

Accidents with glass, that is.  
      June 12, 2019 12:06 AM MDT
    3

• 6545
    Great new word!!!
      June 12, 2019 12:24 AM MDT
    2

• 6545
    Sure! I broke a window with a rock trying to break in.  I was successful in breaking the window.  I was forgetful about letting go of the rock.
    The glass slashed my right hand and wrist. Don called an ambulance who took me to the hospital. They gave me a bunch of stitches.  Now, on my right wrist it looks like I tried to commit suicide.  The scars even go the correct directions.
    Just a quick note to tie this up. We were breaking into our own house.  We had only been there a DAY and were out celebrating.  Coming home, we couldn't find the new keys.  It ended up, the keys were in Don's side pocket the whole time. He found them at the hospital.  Who knew? Oh, those drunken nights.....
    That is just one of many encounters my body and sharp objects have intertwined.
      June 12, 2019 12:15 AM MDT
    4

• 3058
    I've never cut myself so badly that it's required surgery, but I've had to have sutures more than once. 

I'm kinda known for my klutziness. :(
      June 12, 2019 9:08 AM MDT
    3

• 5355
    I cut myself with a box cutter and made 4 3" cuts on my right forearm. It was intentional. You can't see them now.
      June 12, 2019 9:51 AM MDT
    2

• 14127
    Yes, I could not find the can opener. But I did find the bottle opener, with the pointy end to poke a hole in a can.

I used it to go around the cans surface making a star around the top.  I got so far and decided I could just fold the rest up.  I did and sliced my hand.  Got several stitches. 

I am also not allowed to peel potatoes in my house. No one wants blood in their potatoes. 
      June 13, 2019 1:40 PM MDT
    3

• 2980
    when i was in my late teens i used to cut myself alllll the time. at first it was just when I was distressed but then i got so addicted i would just do it out of boredom. that was until i cut a little too deep on my ankle and the skin split and it didn't even  bleed. freaked me out so much i stopped for like two years

now im just too full of anxiety to intentionally harm myself (you know, MRSA and all that). I still get the urge tho

now I just knick myself at work sometimes on accident with bread knives and catering pan lids 
      June 13, 2019 1:51 PM MDT
    2

• 4777
    I cut off two of my fingers
    with a sharp saw blade...Does that qualify?
      June 15, 2019 4:56 PM MDT
    2

• 6545
    AAAHHHHHHHH!
    Did you find them?  Were you able to reattach them?  OH MY!!  
      June 15, 2019 6:53 PM MDT
    2

• 4777
    Yeah
    what a scene
    finding the fingers that weren't on my hand anymore.
    Hospital sewed them back on
    but after two weeks infection
    had set in so they removed them.
    oh well
    life has many surprises haha

June 16, 2019 8:56 AM MDT
    1

• 6545
    Good Morning Baba~
    As amazing as it may be (this early in the morn,) more than one response has entered my brain.
    Gosh, I wish you wouldn't get up so early on Sunday!
    I'm biding time because Don keeps distracting me about Belgin Waffles or Cranberry/orange muffins..
    O.k. I think I have a quiet moment.
    Where was I ?
    Ahhhh, yes.  Your missing digits.

On your journey
    to pro found 
    You needed
    not 10 roads to diverge
    Your spirit to knew
    8 was enough for you to merg.

I'm glad your body was able to fight the infection. 
    You know that wasn't your destined direction.

Hugs and Loves, Always!

This post was edited by Merlin at June 16, 2019 10:24 AM MDT
      June 16, 2019 10:23 AM MDT
    0

• 22450
    In deed. Yikes.
      June 16, 2019 7:57 AM MDT
    2