Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Slartibartfast
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Environment » Do you remember far enough back when it was actually kind of weird and indugent to BUY WATER? What happned? Why do we have to BUY this now

Do you remember far enough back when it was actually kind of weird and indugent to BUY WATER? What happned? Why do we have to BUY this now

Remember when CLEAN, filtered water came from our taps?  What changed this operation that we are still paying the water company for?  And WHY are we doing it?

Did you ever figure out just how much money you spend on water?  

Posted - June 12, 2019

Responses

I spend very little on bottled water.  Living in NYC, we have some of the best water available from the tap.  I find myself buying bottled when I'm in the car and I've forgotten to bring a reusable water bottle with me.
      June 12, 2019 1:57 PM MDT

WOW. So clean tap water really still DOES exist?  Well, too bad it costs a fortune to live in New York or this would be a big savings to me.  
      June 12, 2019 2:00 PM MDT

Well, what we save on water, we use for rent. :)
      June 12, 2019 6:56 PM MDT

Water bill (tap water) is approximately $70 a month.
      June 12, 2019 2:01 PM MDT

And how much do you buy?  Or do you not?  
      June 12, 2019 2:01 PM MDT

All of it. Automatic debit. Isn't that 'buying' it? Yes I do buy bottled water. I will drink it and fill it up with the filtered water from the fridge. A case lasts a long time and I recycle the bottles.
      June 12, 2019 2:07 PM MDT

My water filter is busted. I need a repair man.  I don't trust any water but my water.  I do love that alkaline water though.  I love that stuff.  
      June 12, 2019 2:15 PM MDT

Our tap water has a pH of 9.5...slightly alkaline. Great for lawns...bad for pipes. Our bedrock is limestone. Yours comes from the Colorado river, through many layers of sedimentary rock and is some of the 'hardest' in the country.
      June 12, 2019 2:20 PM MDT

I do remember pure artesian water coming out of the tap.  It tasted so good.  Perhaps that is why I dislike water now.  It is the same with clean and dirty air.  You know the difference when you go to the mountians and smell that clean crisp air....awwww...sure miss it. 
    I heard those same artesian wells are now contiminated from chemical runn off, what a horrible loss.
      June 12, 2019 2:02 PM MDT

Artesian water can become naturally contaminated by the various chemicals in the surrounding rock formations.

June 12, 2019 2:11 PM MDT

And that is HOW MUCH worse than the plastic containers in which they are housed in the store? 
      June 12, 2019 2:13 PM MDT

Huh? Is WHAT how much worse? Our tap water is awful.
      June 12, 2019 2:16 PM MDT

Okay.  Back to my question then.  WHY DO WE HAVE TO PUT UP WITH THIS?  IT NEVER USED TO BE LIKE THIS IN THE OLDEN DAYS.
      June 12, 2019 2:29 PM MDT

The "olden days" are over, never to return.  Look at the fish in the oceans and lakes who are consuming plastic and other contaminants.   One day the earth willl be overwhelmed and 1/3 of the living things in the ocean will die.  Our sustainability will collapse and there will be mass starvation of people and animals.  I know my great grandchildren are going to have to be strong to endure.   Bad times are unpon the earth today ad it willl only get worse. All the leaders of the world are preaching the problem instead of insisting that countries like India and other 3rd world countries do something about contimination of the earth, land and air.  Unless something big happens soon there is nothing anyone will be able to do when we reach that fail safe point.  
      June 12, 2019 2:44 PM MDT

• I have an artisan well and the water sucks.  Its full of iron and turns everything orange.

An artisan well or spring doesn't mean crap as to water quality.  It just means it is under pressure and percolate to the surface itself.
      June 12, 2019 3:23 PM MDT

The tap water in Longview Washington is terrible.
    If you leave the tap running for a few seconds, it has a bleach smell.
    The city claims they have done testing and there is nothing wrong - but nobody trusts them, since we can smell it.
    While we can filter it or get bottled water ... just bathing in the city water can cause rashes and other dermatological problems.
      June 12, 2019 2:24 PM MDT

That explains it.  I bet the Senate drinks this swill every day.  
      June 12, 2019 2:28 PM MDT

I can smell the chlorine in ours across the room and it burns my eyes in the shower.
      June 12, 2019 3:54 PM MDT

I just read an article about the cities that probably are going to actually run out of water.  Yours was  number one on the list.  
      June 12, 2019 2:57 PM MDT

• I do,but bottle it myself for 2 bucks/gallons. It's limestone water instead of iron water so money well spent.
      June 12, 2019 3:25 PM MDT

Also a good antacid.
      June 12, 2019 3:55 PM MDT

• If you take a glass of it, and mix it with the hard well water.   You can see the iron and hard minerals precipitate out.  Kinda cool the first time you see it.
      June 12, 2019 3:58 PM MDT

Chemical reaction of Iron sulfate and calcium carbonate yields calcium sulfate, which is almost totally insoluble.
      June 12, 2019 4:03 PM MDT

• If you take a glass of it, and mix it with the hard well water.   You can see the iron and hard minerals precipitate out.  Kinda cool the first time you see it.
      June 12, 2019 3:58 PM MDT