Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Isn't the deal done at the inception of conception? Isn't everything you'll ever be already determined at that moment?

Isn't the deal done at the inception of conception? Isn't everything you'll ever be already determined at that moment?

How do you overcome a low I.Q. or lack of talent or lack of drive or lack of curiosity if you are born incurious talentless with no goal or drive or direction? Can an IQ of 100 perform at the same level as that of 180 and produce the same quality of work or invention or problem-solving intention? If the template is formed what mechanism reconfigures it after the product was already conceived?

Posted - June 13, 2019

Responses

No one is born with any goals.
    We either set our own goals, or they are set by those around us.

IQ is merely a measurement of potential.
    Someone with a low IQ who works hard, will accomplish more than someone with a high IQ who is a "couch potato".

The vast majority of people who are "talented" spend more time practicing / perfecting their ability, as a full-time job.
    IE: Very few musicians had a natural ability to read/play music.
      June 13, 2019 12:03 PM MDT

Thank you for your reply Walt. How do you overcome limitations? How do you make a great meal out of road kill? Isn't it easier to do with a PRIME cut of meat?  I'm gonna ask.I'm just sayin' the ingredients of which consist at conception won't change. Any condiments or herbs or spices you apply isn't going to change what you have to work with. It will just flavor it. Superficially. Extrinsically. Not intrinsically. I think. :)
      June 14, 2019 4:03 AM MDT

Some things our DNA sets (eye, hair, skin color).  But we can superficially change some of those (contacts, dye, tanning).

Other things, it gives us a preference towards ... but we have a choice.  
    IE: recent research shows DNA may give us a leaning towards crime, but it is still our choice whether to commit crimes or not.

One may have DNA for musical talent - but they will still (generally) be less talented than someone without such DNA who constantly practices.
      June 17, 2019 8:33 AM MDT

No one is born with any ANYTHING as far as goals or hopes or dreams are concerned. But your DNA allows you to make choices according to your measure.  You cannot think like a stable genius if you are not built that way genetically.  You are not programmed to fail or not succeed but you may just be much more likely to develop a criminal mind if your DNA encourages it by screwing up your brain signals.  

So, we cannot create an adonnis of perfection yet, but we certainly can create monsters who are way more than just likely to corrupt and destroy others.
      June 17, 2019 10:25 AM MDT

No, there is much more  to a person than just their DNA. 
      June 13, 2019 7:01 PM MDT

Like what?  Everything that happens to you is outside of your abiility to control. But the DNA controls how you respond to the circumstances.  No? 
      June 17, 2019 10:22 AM MDT

Your DNA may give you a tendery to react a certain way but we can learn to react better kr worse.
      June 17, 2019 11:25 AM MDT

I hear you.  There is no way to determine some probable outcome given the many possibilities.  But if your genetic makeup makes you a vegetable, you have less of a chance of being elected, unless there is Russian interference.
      June 17, 2019 11:29 AM MDT