Active Now

Randy D
Malizz
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » Was any 'mad scientist' kind of person ever become renowned for inventing or discovering something of any value?

Was any 'mad scientist' kind of person ever become renowned for inventing or discovering something of any value?

Or are mad scientists just a thing of mythology or fiction? 

Posted - June 15, 2019

Responses

I am willing to wager that there are a goodly number of scientists who are nuttier  than fruitcakes.  

It seems that insanity has nothing to do with intelligence.  Unlike the President, who is simply insane, there are SMART people who are just as batsh**t crazy.  Let's see.  Look at A Beautiful Mind Guy, James Nash. He was not a scientist, per se, but he was way up there in Maths, even defined some new branches.  He was gone with the wind.  

Then there was Rasputin.  Remember that guy?  Ok.  He was a fake scientist and a mystic healer, but he was smart and he was able to fake it and he was NUTSO.  

n late 1906, Rasputin began acting as a healer for Alexei, the Tsar and his wife Alexandra's only son, who suffered from hemophilia. At court, he was a divisive figure, seen by some Russians as a mystic, visionary, and prophet, and by others as a religious charlatan. The high point of Rasputin's power was in 1915, when Nicholas II left St Petersburg to oversee Russian armies fighting World War I, increasing both Alexandra and Rasputin's influence. As Russian defeats in the war mounted, however, both Rasputin and Alexandra became increasingly unpopular. In the early morning of 30 December [O.S. 17 December] 1916, Rasputin was assassinated by a group of conservative noblemen who opposed his influence over Alexandra and the Tsar.

Historians often suggest that Rasputin's terrible reputation helped discredit the tsarist government, and thus helped precipitate the overthrow of the Romanov dynasty, which happened a few weeks after he was assassinated. Very little about Rasputin's life and influence is certain, however, as accounts have often been based on hearsay, rumor, and legend.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at June 16, 2019 12:08 AM MDT
      June 15, 2019 11:40 PM MDT

Interesting. 
      June 16, 2019 12:08 AM MDT

So, you didn't read it.  Okay.  LOL .  Sorry.  That is what I do when I don't read something.  I KNOW I didn't read it.  It was not even a good example.   This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at June 17, 2019 5:00 PM MDT
      June 17, 2019 1:14 PM MDT

Let me see, off the top of my head

Michelangelo - truly an odd personality if the writings are to be believed
    DaVinci - Mistresses, idiosyncrasies, and genius 
    Nicholas Tesla - do you really question this one
    Madame Curie - Glow in the dark girl
    Walt Disney - technology meets entertainment.  His list of patents is impressive
    George Westinghouse - crazy as a loon
    Look at Kellogs founder, pervert and nutritionist

The list is longer than you might believe
      June 17, 2019 12:54 PM MDT

Wow! That's something. 
      June 17, 2019 1:05 PM MDT

I fail to see why having mistresses constitutes insanity.  But the rest of your list sure proves something is askew.  LOL 
      June 17, 2019 1:17 PM MDT

Read up on the guy and his kink........  It is surprising the church did noit have him burned at the stake.  Oh yeah he was a favorite of the Medicis and Borgias
      June 17, 2019 1:40 PM MDT