Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
my2cents
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Language » I just used a racial slur and did not even realize it. I called myself an Indian-Giver. How did Indians ever earn that moniker anyway?

I just used a racial slur and did not even realize it. I called myself an Indian-Giver. How did Indians ever earn that moniker anyway?

Posted - June 17, 2019

Responses

I would say it's an instance of the government trying to hide its bad behavior, by trying to place that behavior on someone else.
    IE: The government was the one that always broke Indian treaties, so it wants to paint the Indians as the ones doing so.

But I guess the truth is due to misunderstanding about how Indians gave gifts / bartered.
    https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2013/09/02/217295339/the-history-behind-the-phrase-dont-be-an-indian-giver
      June 17, 2019 1:14 PM MDT

GOD GAVE US TRUMP TO MAKE UP FOR THESE MANY MANY MANY LIES AND TRANSGRESSIONS FROM WHITE MAN.  You are so right-on.  
      June 17, 2019 1:18 PM MDT

The English ,French and and God know what other European county gave it to the indiginous people of Ameirica big time ,just so they steal what didn't belong to them...  :(
    Love it or hate it,that's what really happened.. 
    Funny how people now defend as theirs what was origanally stolen....
    England to has systematically raped the world , how does it to pay back what it stole....it doesnt and will never ever bother to try to make amends.... 
      June 17, 2019 2:38 PM MDT

More of the endless indignities heaped upon the annihilated natives of North America by white people.
    Anyone who speaks the name of the NFL team in the US capital is also guilty of a racial slur. 
      June 17, 2019 4:56 PM MDT