Active Now

Danilo_G
Randy D
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Books and Literature » Do you have 13 minutes to listen and look at this book question?

Do you have 13 minutes to listen and look at this book question?

I know I probably wouldn't, ha! 

But I do believe the 13 minutes to listen and watch this book is worth it.

As a young child, I was not crystal clear why I read this book so often but looking back I now know -- the author respected me, a young kid, by writing about such topics in a realistic way.

Thank you, Evaline Ness (author and illustrator )

"Sam, Bangs and Moonshine"

Posted - June 17, 2019

Responses

• It's the first time I've heard that story. Thank you for sharing it me :) 
      June 17, 2019 7:04 PM MDT

You're welcome.
    :)

Thanks for listening. I was not overly impressed with the reader's style in this video.
    It almost works better as a silent read to me.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at June 18, 2019 9:24 PM MDT
      June 18, 2019 1:07 PM MDT

A good teaching story for kids of the right stage of education and ability.

I found the reading style of the audiobook a bit too slow, the tone of voice too flat and depressing, even though the story has a happy ending.
    Because of that, I'd rather give a child the book than the audio version.

I thought it would suit kids from about 6-9 if the parent does the reading - because that's the age when kids natural development starts to shift from fantasy to concrete reality. The publishers recommend 9 -12 years old presumably because, by then, a kid can read for him or herself. 
      June 18, 2019 11:46 AM MDT

I forget the actual age I first started reading the book.

Yeah, this reader in the video is not too impressive, for the reasons you shared.
    I so equate the book with my reading it by myself, to myself, that hearing the words spoken doesn't work for me so well. I think I could have done a better job of reading it out loud than the reader here.

Thanks for looking in and listening in.
      June 18, 2019 1:10 PM MDT

NO.  Sorry.  No.  NO NOOOOOO
      June 18, 2019 11:50 AM MDT

Ha! 
    I don't blame you at all!
      June 18, 2019 1:11 PM MDT

It's the work thing. I just don't have the time is all. I would watch a two hour vid if you recommended it, I just cannot do anything for 15 minutes at once right now.  A thousand pardons, Welb.
      June 18, 2019 1:14 PM MDT

No worries at all!

Yeah, there are a lot of things going on in my life at the moment (some of them unnecessary - - like excess worry and, admittedly, creating my own worries; 'no  worries' and 'not to worry' - - expressions I admire because they are goals for me) - -

yeah, lots of things and doing one of those things was where I came across this book from my childhood -- I even saw where I printed my name very nicely in the front of the book.

The book for me, I've decided, may be best when read alone and silently -- I base that only on the fact that that is the way I always read it as a child/young guy. And the reader in the video is rather lackluster.
    Ha!

Thanks for coming in and visiting my question.

June 18, 2019 3:37 PM MDT

And this movie popped into my head when I read you'd watch a two hour video.

I don't know this movie's time length but I found if FASCINATING. And actor Arno Frisch is in it - - he's always great (and great looking). That's him in the image - - I've seen better images of him, though he looks great here, of course.
     These three all were great -- they're the main people in the movie.

I watched it years ago.

"Fetish"

Related image

June 18, 2019 3:42 PM MDT