Active Now

Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Is it harder for you to concentrate when those around you are discussing things/people you like or those you don't? Do you shut them out?

Is it harder for you to concentrate when those around you are discussing things/people you like or those you don't? Do you shut them out?

Posted - June 18, 2019

Responses

Sounds like my breakroom at work.

I get caught up in the drama because work lends itself to stress and getting on each other's nerves and in the way.  But we are all pretty good friends and most people are okay.  So, I take it in stride and just try to remember not to be part of the problem and leave the room when necessary and do not judge nor get involved in things that are not my business.  
      June 18, 2019 12:41 PM MDT

It probably would be.

Generally, I think concentration is one of my strengths; if it's important, a shift of my will can shut out secondary perceptions.

But on second thoughts I may be deluding myself.

When I need to focus, I usually take myself away from possible distractions.

I have found that there's a difference in my writing between when I'm focused or when there are distractions. If it's academic, the thinking is less clear and needs more editing. If it's creative, the deep juice is not there and I might come out with less than the optimum choices in words.
      June 18, 2019 9:58 PM MDT

Once I focus on the work at hand I can shut anything/anyone out. I'm a retired Internal Auditor bw. In fact I've been told that my concentration is so complete I'm very scary! My mom even told me years ago when I was intensely focused on something she would never disturb me. Me scary? That's a crock but mebbe I was and am. If a fire were surrounding me I'd still keep working because I wouldn't be aware of it. That's what I've been told by others. Hopefully they're wrong but you know once I go deep inside whatever I'm doing I really lose track of time or space and just stay in that place following one path or another. HOWEVER in a waiting room it's a different matter entirely. I engage if the vibes are good. I don't make eye contact  if they aren't. I read or write or sometimes I will just there quietly lost in thought. Of course it depends on the what and the whom in the room. Thank you for your thoughtful reply bw! :)
      June 19, 2019 5:35 AM MDT