Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Are you a PILL POPPER? Do you take them often for what ails you or would you rather endure some pain instead? Because?

Are you a PILL POPPER? Do you take them often for what ails you or would you rather endure some pain instead? Because?

Posted - June 18, 2019

Responses

Never ever. I even try not to take vitamin PILLS because they are so concentrated, they cause acid to form in the body which is toxic to the system.  So, rather than that, I do caps whenever possible, or just eat something that can be super nutritious like a probiotic food.   Pills burn my stomach if I take too many.  

Supergreens or microgreens are getting popular.  I have to let everyone know about them, because they are the wave of the future.  They costs literally pennies to grow enough for two people in the space of maybe two feet on a few shelves near a window and you get a loaded amount of vitamins in greens that are the size of large sprouts.  

They have more nutrtion than their fully grown denatured counterparts, sold in grocery stores by one thousand percent. I am not exaggerating either.  This is the answer to grocery bills and land needed for clean food.

What Are Microgreens?

I read that microgreens are actually more nutritious than their larger-sized counterparts. However, I’m not really sure what microgreens are and how much they differ from baby greens or sprouts. Can you explain?

– May 29, 2015

Raw sprouts(microgreens) on wooden background
    0 shares
    2 min

According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture “microgreens” is a marketing term referring to tiny, edible greens grown from the seeds of vegetables and herbs. They’re smaller than baby greens and bigger than sprouts. Microgreens germinate in soil or soil substitute, require sunlight for growth and are harvested when they’re seven to 14 days old and one to three inches tall. Their flavor is much more intense than that of mature greens. You can add them to salads or use them to garnish soups and sandwiches.

By way of comparison, baby greens are just small versions of fully mature plants that are picked before they’re fully-grown. Sprouts are seeds that germinate after soaking in water and grow for up to 48 hours before they’re harvested.  (Because they’ve been associated with at least 30 outbreaks of food borne illnesses since 1996, mostly due to the bacteria Salmonella and E. coli, the U.S. government warns against eating raw sprouts

NOTE:  MICROGREENS ARE NOT SPROUTS 

Microgreens do appear to have a significant nutritional advantage. A study from the USDA’s Agricultural Research Service (ARS) found that, at equal weights, almost all of the tiny greens contained about five times more nutrients than found in the mature leaves of the same plants. The investigators measured essential vitamins and carotenoids, including vitamins C, E (tocopherols), K and beta-carotene in 25 commercially grown varieties of microgreens, including red cabbage, cilantro, garnet amaranth, and green daikon radishes.

They found that the nutrient content varied widely. For example, total vitamin C content ranged from 20 to 147 mg per 100 grams of seed leaves, (cotyledons). Amounts of the carotenoids beta-carotene, lutein, zeaxanthin and violaxanthin (an orange coloredpigment) ranged from about 0.6 mg to 12.1 mg per 100 grams of fresh weight of the cotyledons. (The authors noted that for comparison purposes, the weight of an apple is 100 to 150 grams.) They also reported that red cabbage microgreens were highest in vitamin C, and green daikon radish microgreens contained the most vitamin E.  However, nutrient content can vary widely depending on where the greens are grown, when they’re harvested and the kind of soil used.

If you buy or grow microgreens, you’ve got to use them quickly since they have only a few days of shelf life. The ARS investigators found that the plastic clamshell containers in which they’re typically sold don’t provide the right balance of oxygen and carbon dioxide for live greens to “breathe.”  Reportedly, microgreens are easy to grow at home on a sunny windowsill.

Be sure to wash them gently and thoroughly before eating. Cooking them isn’t recommended.

Andrew Weil, M.D.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at June 19, 2019 5:43 AM MDT
      June 18, 2019 11:43 AM MDT

Are mung bean sprouts good? (home made of course.)
      June 18, 2019 12:01 PM MDT

Excellent. Get the organic ones.  Very little price increase.  
      June 18, 2019 1:12 PM MDT

We eat a lot of sprouts. BROCCOLI sprouts are incredibly nutritious spo they're the ones we mostly eat. We put them on sandwiches, in salads or even take a clump each day to just eat out-of-hand that way. They are crunchy and delicious. Thank you for your thoughtful and informative reply and the graphic! :)
      June 19, 2019 5:45 AM MDT

I twisted my ankle some years ago and had to use crutches to get around for a week or so.  Pain pills are just another form of a crutch---I use them if I need them, but my small bottle of tylenol is usually expired way before it is empty.
      June 18, 2019 11:45 AM MDT

That is exactly how it is in our house too Tom. Neither Jim nor I will take them if at all possible. We ALWAYS get the prescription filled of course because you never know what level of pain might come at you. Only if it is really painful do we take one. Always much fewer than the amount allotted. Just to take "the edge off" to make it bearable. My sis has a very bad back and was on opiods for years. She weaned herself off slowly over many months and now she will just take over-the-counter as needed. I fear being addicted to anything. That happened to me once long ago on diet pills. Amphetamines as it turns out. When the doc would no longer renew the prescription  because I had lost enough weight I CRASHED. It was AWFUL. Took me two weeks to get back to "normal". Never again will I be hostage to something like that. Well of course if I am in excruciating pain and dying I want to go painlessly. Short of that exigency I'l struggle through it. Thank you for your reply and Happy Wednesday! :)
      June 19, 2019 5:52 AM MDT

Yes, three to keep my heart alive and one to keep everybody else alive. 1 Naproxen/day. No narcotics.
      June 18, 2019 12:00 PM MDT

I rarely take pain pills - only if the pain is so severe that it prevents me from breathing properly, as when I had four broken ribs.

In general, I think it's better to bear the pain because
    - it helps us ease back and not push our bodies too much during the process of healing
    - it is an important guide, telling us when we might need to consult a doctor or perhaps change our lifestyle (e.g., eat a more nutritious diet, exercise, have a better sleep schedule.)
    - pain is less painful when we accept it
      June 18, 2019 9:39 PM MDT

• NSAIDs for arthritis in my elbow and wrist.
      June 19, 2019 6:17 AM MDT

I hate meds. I do not have to take any pills regularly. 
    I do have a ointment for eczema.
      June 19, 2019 7:04 AM MDT

Have not "popped" a pill since I stopped drugs in my 20s. 
      June 19, 2019 8:51 AM MDT