Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » I honestly do not know which is worse. PLAYING DUMB OR BEING DUMB. You suffer bigly at the hands of both. How many ARE BOTH?

I honestly do not know which is worse. PLAYING DUMB OR BEING DUMB. You suffer bigly at the hands of both. How many ARE BOTH?

Posted - June 19, 2019

Responses

I think being dumb is the more unfortunate, assuming it means the person has an intellectual disability -
    because it means the person has no choice in the matter.

At least the person who merely plays dumb need not be the life-long victim of his own stupidity.

My mother had a best friend who was very smart but played the dumb blonde whenever flirting with men.
    Jenny started out as a fashion model, became a writer of children's television programs, then boss of the ABC children's TV department, and later a successful campaigner for the Labour party. She also did lots of advocacy work for disadvantaged children and was a foster mother.

Her flirtatious wiles won her three marriages:
    one to a psychiatrist - ended in divorce;
    the next to a scientist - ended with his death;
    the last to another psychiatrist also ended with his death.
    The deaths were natural.

I watched Jenny play dumb.
    For instance, when it was time for daylight saving, she'd look at her watch in a puzzled way and ask the man, "should I put my watch an hour forward or an hour back? I can never work out which way it goes." The man would then be delighted to come to the rescue. It made him feel smart, useful and valued. It worked every time.

If such tactics became widespread it would put the feminist cause back by a hundred years.

I couldn't bear to behave like that. It seems to me the antithesis of honesty, authenticity and integrity.
    However, I was never successful with men. I had to wait to be chosen and thus had very few choices.

So I have to ask, which was smartest, playing dumb or being straight?

This post was edited by inky at June 20, 2019 2:42 AM MDT
      June 19, 2019 10:20 PM MDT

I have never flirted. I don't get the point of it. I think it's silly frankly. So pretending to be "ignorantly dumb" is not something I'd do. I look at women like your friend and see them as being vapid superficial flighty and uninteresting. They probably have tons of success with certain kinds of men but not the kind I'd be interested in.  There have been times when I could have probably figured something out for myself but chose instead to ask for help. It's nice not to have to do everything yourself all the time.

I think the extremely stable genius sb prez is DUMB. He allegedly has an IQ of 158 which would make him a genius but I have seen no evidence of that ever from him. What good is potential if it is not realized or utilized? I'm gonna ask. He goes through life doing/saying the antithesis of what a SMART person would do and be and say. Sadly he is successful because there are millions of people who seem to admire respect even worship such people s he is. Go figger! He dumbs down to play to his base. They despised the erudite intellectual prior prez. He made them feel ignorant dumb slow. They like the current guy because he lives down there in the muck where they do. They don't have to look up to him because he is nothing they aren't. Or so they think. Dumb is as dumb does. Dumb is a as dumb says. Once dumb works for you why be anything else? Thank you for your thoughtful reply bw!
      June 20, 2019 2:54 AM MDT