Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Environment » What are some popular misconceptions about Tiny Houses and owning one?

What are some popular misconceptions about Tiny Houses and owning one?

Posted - June 24, 2019

Responses

A.  They provide secure housing.  Have you read the number of stories about these houses being stolen.  Pop off to the grocery store come back and the house is gone

B.  Any idiot can build one.  I have known far too many folks who are screwdriver challenged .  These folks would provide evidence of Darwins Theory if they ever held a power tool
      June 24, 2019 11:53 AM MDT

No, Archer, I have NOT and I am so glad you are adding this information.  It stands to reason that it could happen for SURE.  

People STEALING someone's house?  It's  hilarious if its a movie.  But, if we can find a car that was stolen and a kid with an amber alert, CAN'T WE FIND A FREAKING HOUSE? 

Let me tell you this too.  I am NOT an idiot. My dad was a carpenter, handy-man, mechanic and built our House in Northlake, Illinois.  He made it a palace.  But it was a big house.  I digress.

I am no idiot but I could NEVER attempt to build any house even a DOLL house.   Even with my dad on display in my life during the entire construction.  I could NEVER build a house.  I would need plenty O' help. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at June 24, 2019 12:08 PM MDT
      June 24, 2019 12:06 PM MDT

I was not saying you were. My last time Stateside I was in a Home Deport and ran across two guys buying power tools.  The Doc and I wondered how long before they were headed to the Emergency Room
      June 24, 2019 12:16 PM MDT

I was just agreeing with you.  No one can just BUILD a house because other people can. LOL 

YES.  Re: The Home Depot story. LOL  I bet those Home Depot guys take bets just like that.  Who will cut off a limb first? 

I wish you lived next-door to me, I would PAY you handsomely for help.  I swear it is VERY hard to trust any handymen without having a clue of their credentials.  I know to research recommendations, but it is just easier to KNOW someone has skills and not worry AND TRUST them not to screw you or screw up. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at June 24, 2019 12:22 PM MDT
      June 24, 2019 12:21 PM MDT

HA!
    HAHA
    BwuaHAHAhahahahahahahaha  {cue thunder sound effect}

I know how I'm getting my next Tiny House.
    Thanks, Archerchef, for the idea.

Actually, were I that inclined, I'd just tow an RV out of one of those storage lots.

June 24, 2019 1:35 PM MDT

Why not the owners would not miss it.  A friends son owns a number of self storage places.  He has said there are some 100K plus rigs that have not been moved in years.  He has also said the the cheap ones get used maybe two to three weeks a year.  So I hope that helps your target list
      June 24, 2019 9:06 PM MDT

I get a kick out of a couple "secure" lots, locally.
    They have a gate you need an ID to get in ... but then they leave another gate on the other side open all day, so anybody can come through there.
      June 25, 2019 7:02 AM MDT

I do not believe the number of folks who drop $100K plus Stateside on these Land Yachts.  They use them once or twice, park them, then 5 years later their Estate is selling them with no discount per se.

The Dutch here are similar in that they buy them. Favorite are the Mercedes Sprinter Van conversions.   They then every Summer Day clog the motorways with them on their way to the Black Sea or Croatia.  Cheap Beaches which allow FKK, inexpensive wine and most of the time the unwrapped scenery is quite nice.  There are times however you do wish they would wear a Burka.

Related image

FKK = Sans Clothes
      June 25, 2019 1:07 PM MDT

We have "snowbirds" here.
    It's a term for people who live out of their RV ... during the summer, they live in the cooler states ... during the winter, they live in the warmer states.  They are generally retired, though some are self-employed.
    Then there are what I call the professional campers.  They live in their RV, and get jobs as the "hosts" for parks.  Basically, greeting people and telling what the local attractions are.  Needless to say, there is a lot of competition for those positions.
      June 25, 2019 1:17 PM MDT

Land yachts. LOL.

No YACHT is this rustic.  
      June 25, 2019 1:27 PM MDT

I knew of no better descriptor.  The VW ones which are not available in the US would drop your jaw and our €20,000 cheaper the the Mercedes.  The ones at the Zurich Auto Show were off the charts
      June 25, 2019 8:33 PM MDT

I see.  I see.  By the way, I was ADMIRING the term.  I think it is perfection.  I am sure that the ones you describe are exquisite, but comparing anything to a yacht is funny to me because of the ostentation and grandeur.   This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at June 26, 2019 12:35 AM MDT
      June 26, 2019 12:33 AM MDT

Walt I am familiar with the term, I was born and raised Stateside.  I just chose to escape for awhile and got trapped by a sneaky partner.  

We split our between the US and the EU, our careers are that flexible. 
      June 25, 2019 1:20 PM MDT