Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Does your SOCIAL life ROCK? The more friends you have the happier you are? Always somewhere to go something to do?

Does your SOCIAL life ROCK? The more friends you have the happier you are? Always somewhere to go something to do?

How would you do living a life of serene calm quiet solitude? Not hermit-like necessarily but lots of space to be alone? Would you love it or deplore it? Do you hate being alone or adore it?

Posted - June 26, 2019

Responses

• I have a fair amount of friends but I don't necessarily spend a lot of time with them. Some of them try to drag me out to clubs and/or other events but that's just not my deal. On rare occasions, I'll give in if there's live music involved but I'm not a fan of of crowds and find those types of environments both annoying and stressful.

I'm more of a quiet/outdoorsy person and prefer to do outdoor activities w/ maybe one or two other people. Currently, I live in a very densely populated area but eventually, I do want to move to a more rural/semi-rural environment. 
      June 26, 2019 7:48 AM MDT

You're not a big-city gal! Me too neither! I do like to be able to "drive in" at my convenience to a big city but I am definitely a small-town gal. I'd love to visit New York City on  a vacation but I couldn't live that tempo for long. I'm not a fan of crowds either which limits one's choices for concerts of any kind. I'm always by the nearest exist for quick retreat just in case! Thank you for your thoughtful reply to my question Lenina. It gives me a  window into you which is always a treat for me. I'm not really outdoorsy unless you count loving walking on a beach somewhere. I'm not athletic. I don't like camping. I like hiking as long as I can get a shower and sleep in a clean bed afterwards. So a vacation somewhere where hiking was the activity would suit me to a T! Had a bad experience once upon a time riding a horse so that's kinda not my cuppa tea. Oh. My depth perception is shot due to eye surgery so playing tennis is not something I can do. Golf doesn't appeal to me. Jim enjoys both and plays both. I'm a happy fan just watching! Happy Wednesday to thee! :).
      June 26, 2019 8:06 AM MDT

I thought you lived in a town with 200,000 people? Not my idea of small town. My town has less than 20,000
      June 26, 2019 8:32 AM MDT

Size is relative to one's environment and experience m2c. I used to live in LOS ANGELES. For five years I lived near BOSTON. I was born in a suburb (Highland Park) of DETROIT. Those are large cities. Your 20,000 occupant "town" is a hamlet to me. Very tiny. Tiny is fine. Thank you for your reply.
      June 27, 2019 6:14 AM MDT

• I've been to NYC and have spent time in a number of large cities (I'm within driving distance to one of the largest in the US), but these days, that's more rare for me. I do enjoy art museums and architecture, so there is some appeal for me. Mostly, I plan a lot of short weekend getaways to areas where I can disconnect and just enjoy the scenery, usually in higher elevation mountainous areas. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at June 27, 2019 6:14 AM MDT
      June 26, 2019 8:34 AM MDT

Sounds ideal and idyllic to me Lenina. Having the ability to drive into the city to see all the wonders there are available there is very good. I would not want to live hundreds of miles away in some isolated hamlet.  But living there 24/7? I'm not wired for that or rather for what I perceive it to be. Thank you for your reply and Happy Thursday to thee! :)
      June 27, 2019 6:16 AM MDT

• My "social" life revolves around doctors, nurses, clinics and hospitals, so it follows that I haven't become Mr. Excitement. To complicate the situation, there are more demands on my time than there ever were before I retired. But I have a good support group in my wife and kids. My mother and siblings are living, but they have physical problems also. We look out for each other as best we can. That sometimes means not having enough time for the things we'd like to do, but that's alright. Perhaps the day will come when I can travel more and do more around the homestead. I still find time for reading and public speaking. I enjoy friends and I fortunately have many, but I like the "calm quiet solitude" also.
      June 26, 2019 8:00 AM MDT

• My social life is about where I want it.  Hang out with friends at the shop working on something, and  spend weekends in medium sized groups outdoors somewhere.  Boating, bonfires,  fishing,  picnics, etc.

I need about 70%  alone time and about 30% social life time.
      June 26, 2019 8:47 AM MDT

I second that. I require solitude but I also like to get out there in mix in. WHEN I AM IN THE MOOD. Which is why an internet social site is ideal for me. I answer to no one. I come and go as I please. I stay as long as I please. I engage with those I like and not with those I don't. Perfect! Thank you for your reply G-gMcM and Happy  Thursday. Interestingly enough I used to work for a couple who owned SEVEN McDonald's Restaurants. Small world.
      June 27, 2019 6:32 AM MDT