Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Entertainment » Which dance have you done more at weddings: the marcalena or the Cha cha slide?

Which dance have you done more at weddings: the marcalena or the Cha cha slide?

Posted - June 28, 2019

Responses

I only do one dance and it's the dance to the bathroom.
      June 28, 2019 8:46 PM MDT

• Lol :) that counts. 
      June 28, 2019 8:50 PM MDT

Neither of those.  For me it has been the Chicken Dance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5sIspLfmXM
      June 28, 2019 9:49 PM MDT

• LOL! Omg that made me cry laugh. Is that an Austria dance??? I love it :)
      June 28, 2019 9:55 PM MDT

Nope generally found in Minnesota,  Wisconsin, Iowa, Dakotas, Michigan and a lot of of other Northern Tier States with either a German or Scandinavian  contingent.  You were introduced to it in Grade School.  It is a staple at weddings, followed by what is popular.  The only wedding in the last 20 years that I have not heard it has been in NYC
      June 28, 2019 10:00 PM MDT

• I’ve been to 5 million weddings and I’ve never seen anyone do that. 
      June 28, 2019 10:13 PM MDT

Whre are you from and currently living?  I think there may be a failure to inculturate, possible even a failure to communicate.

Generally there has been enough time between the toasts and the Bar being open that alcohol has loosened everyone's inhibitions.  I have seen a number of brides  have problems with it.  My niece at her wedding, slipped and bruised her Tailbone.  As she said, Doggie Style it is.  I will swear on a stack of stolen Bibles that no alcohol was im;''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' This post was edited by Archerchef at June 29, 2019 1:12 PM MDT
      June 29, 2019 11:47 AM MDT

You ARE very sophisticated as far as world-travels are concerned.  You have person-to-person evidence of this phenomena.  I am from Chicago.  We NEVER did no chicken dances.  We did the Hokey Pokey.  But what do we know?  

This here chicken dancing seems too complex for us Chicagoans.  We need instructions.  In the Hokey Pokey, they SING what you need to do next right in the song.  This chicken thing, is for an actual MASTER OF DANCE LIKE A RUDOLPH NURYEV.  Or a Bob Fosse.  Or a Big Bird.  

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at June 29, 2019 1:11 PM MDT
      June 29, 2019 11:54 AM MDT

June 29, 2019 2:38 PM MDT

There are things that I shelter myself FROM and weddings are one of them.  I don't like them.  I am bored.  I am itchy. I am stuck there and I want to leave.  That's a wedding.  So, while I am totally joined with my brothers and sisters in society that want  a crowd at a wedding, and  the fact that two people need to be honored and their love celebrated, I  thank GOD most people love to go to those things.    I do not, so I will let them take my seat.  I'll send a gift. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at June 29, 2019 10:52 PM MDT
      June 29, 2019 10:48 PM MDT

• Your niece sounds fun :) From Quebec originally, live in Ontario, Canada. No duck dancing here. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at July 1, 2019 12:01 PM MDT
      June 29, 2019 1:13 PM MDT

Jamie Quebecois ahh  I now understand.  My aunt was from Quebec and lot of fun.  Now I do not know where the Hokey Pokey and chicken dance came from, however I a have only been at one wedding where niether one or both were not  played.

Alcohol, a festive time and a lot of singles looking to hookup.  Somedays I miss those experiences. and opportunities
      June 29, 2019 2:32 PM MDT

• A lot of alcohol and singles looking to hook-up at weddings is common here too. No chicken dance in common but the Wedding hookup is pretty universal. 
      June 29, 2019 5:08 PM MDT

I have had a lot of wedding Hookups.  Easy place to meet and greet on the face of the planet
      June 30, 2019 4:25 AM MDT

• Here we go,  back to your sorted past of one night stands.....lol :)
      June 30, 2019 8:34 AM MDT

Sordid not sorted past........  Not really sordid, however it was experiential fun
      July 1, 2019 12:03 PM MDT

We did the chicken dance in high school gym class.  Very funny memories.
      June 29, 2019 5:17 PM MDT

At our wedding, it was the hora - my husband is Jewish, of Polish parents, born in Berlin in 1947 and grew up in Israel.
    We had a klezmer band with a didgeridoo player - loved by all but especially by Ari's mother and her siblings and friends.

Our friends come from a wide range of alternative backgrounds.
    Two are classical Indian dancers, so they treated us and the wedding guests to Bharata Natyam, Kathakali and Kuchi Pudi dances.
    Three others had studied belly dancing and had developed their own forms - great fun - got the young-enough up and dancing.
    A lesbian couple mesmerized us with their take on Argentine tango.

Other weddings we've attended - all different - about 50% with no dancing - just everyone circulating and chatting.
    Actually, most of our friends haven't bothered marrying. If they want to be together they just move in.
    In Australia, once you've been living together for two years or more, you are automatically given the legal status of being married.

June 28, 2019 9:58 PM MDT

• Your wedding sounds like it was a blast :) We have same common law thing here. I think it’s 3 years though. Not sure exactly.
      June 28, 2019 10:11 PM MDT

It was. 200 people.
    Ari's and my mother have died since then, and all their generation.
    But the friends of our generation still mention it.
      June 29, 2019 2:37 PM MDT

• Nice you have that memory :)
      June 29, 2019 5:09 PM MDT

I love Klezmer music.  
      June 29, 2019 8:53 AM MDT

Yes, the De-facto couple.  
      June 30, 2019 4:59 PM MDT

Who goes to weddings?  Are people still doing that stuff?  Having weddings and getting married?  I thought that was last century.

Because last century was the last time I went to one and I do not think we had names for dances when I went.  We just drank and boogied.  

June 29, 2019 1:41 AM MDT