Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Do places that are allegedly HAUNTED appeal to you or scare the crap outta ya? Why?

Do places that are allegedly HAUNTED appeal to you or scare the crap outta ya? Why?

There are zillions of so-called HAUNTED places worldwide. It was hard to decide which to go with but here is the list of top ten according to Time Magazine

The Amityville House in Amityville, New York
Eastern State Penitentiary in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Edinburgh Castle in Edinburgh, Scotland
Gettysburg Battlefield in Gettsyburg, Pennsylvania
The Myrtle Plantation in St. Francisville , Louisiana
The Queen Mary in Long Beach, California
The Tower of London, London U.K.
The Whaley House in San Diego, California
The White House in Washington, D.C.
The Winchester House in San Jose, California

I've only been to Gettysburg. I found it to be so beautiful. Silent. I swear I thought I could hear the din of some actions going on in the distance. The mind plays tricks. Or perhaps what happened there isn't going anywhere.

Have you been to any of them? What was YOUR impression?

Posted - July 4, 2019

Responses

I suspect if you believe it haunted and go there expecting to be afraid of something, you will be alarmed by something that's unexpected to you but in reality really very "ordinary" - a sudden noise, a wisp of mist or a chilly draught perhaps.

I thought that house in Amityville has been investigated objectively and the only strange thing about it was an unpleasant goo on a basement wall, that proved to be crude oil seeping from the surrounding rock. I think the house still exists, occupied normally although after all the fuss resulting from the film, the owners removed those "eye" windows from the gable wall to deter the freak-show types. If anything really did odd genuinely did occur there, it was centred on or due to one or two of the residents, not the building. 

The Tower of London certainly has a right to be haunted - if there are such things as ghosts. It was built as a fort but used as combined garrison and prison for centuries, and was scene of a lot of horrible torture and a few murders. Though not executions, as they were carried out in public, away from the premises. It's now its own museum.  

Why the Queen Mary should be haunted I've can't imagine? Maybe out of despair at its undignified end? (Her sister ship, the Queen Elizabeth was being turned into a floating university but caught fire, rolled over and sank in Hong Kong Harbour. A total loss, she was cut up there. The fire was thought to be by arson.)

'

For a long time one of the most haunted places in England was claimed to be a house called Borley Rectory, built in 1862 for the Rector and his family, of the parish of Borley. (I don't know if you use the title "Rector" in the USA - it's a clerical rank in the Church of England.) It became famous - or infamous - in the 1930s when a group of "researchers" led by Harry Price published a book recounting all sorts of odd phenomena they'd observed during nocturnal vigils. It was badly damaged by fire in 1939, and demolished a few years later.

Although reports of "hauntings" had been made since its earliest occupiers, more recent analysis of the claims suggest mis-interpreted natural events; and of course no-one can corroborate what Mr. Price and his colleagues actually recorded. 

July 5, 2019 4:16 AM MDT

Thank you for your thoughtful and informative reply Durdle and Happy Friday. Well to each his/her own. What makes sense to some makes none to other somes. :)
      July 5, 2019 4:57 AM MDT

A good point, Rosie!
      July 5, 2019 2:26 PM MDT