Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Why is it called 'News' if there is rarely anything new?

Why is it called 'News' if there is rarely anything new?

Posted - July 13, 2019

Responses

• Because if they called it "the olds" people would expect the History Channel.
      July 13, 2019 7:05 PM MDT

Which I would rather watch anyway.
      July 14, 2019 7:51 AM MDT

There are many new things happening on a daily basis. It's just that most of the mainstream media have knowingly and deliberately stopped reporting "all" the news in an unbiased and honest manner. They have instead chosen to report what they want you to see and hear not what we should and need to see and hear.  Not only that but the mainstream media (CBS, NBC, CNN, etc) have not only chosen to politicize pretty much everything but are collapsing in large part because of liberal, anti-American content. Which makes one wonder, who controls the mainstream media?
      July 14, 2019 12:39 AM MDT

I was once told (and I didn't believe it) that NEWS is an acronym for North, East, West, South.
      July 14, 2019 5:20 AM MDT

What you said got my attention because I had never heard that before. So I looked it up. I found an article that says in part the following:

"It all started in the 14th century when the English word ‘news’ developed as a special use of the plural form of ‘new’. As the name implies, ‘news’ is associated with the presentation of new information."

Whether or not that article is correct I don't know but it was interesting to look up. I love learning new things and researching them is half the fun. :)
      July 14, 2019 9:14 AM MDT