Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Jehovah's Witnesses knock at your door. What do you do to shoo them away? I tell them I am Jewish.

Jehovah's Witnesses knock at your door. What do you do to shoo them away? I tell them I am Jewish.

Posted - July 14, 2019

Responses

They probably say something like "Oh, that's OK, we welcome all nationalities."  
      July 14, 2019 12:04 PM MDT

I got schooled.  

In the only way I can get schooled.  I looked into the face of the Witness and I was just about to tell him I was busy and he lisped and asked if I wanted him to come back another time.  

This man, an elderly gentleman, was spending his whole day, by himself, knocking on doors because he believes that is what Jesus would do.  

He was sincere.  And he was nice.  That is what a Jehovahs Witness is really like.  They are gentle people who mostly mean well and are trying to be nice. 
      July 14, 2019 12:09 PM MDT

Actually, a nice lady JW came to my house one day; I invited her in and we had a nice chat. She asked if she could come back again, as she liked our little arguments. I said sure. She would show up about once a month. I would make some coffee and we would chat for a while. Quite pleasant and I was always a gentleman.
      July 14, 2019 12:13 PM MDT

The advantages of living in a gated community. This nonsense never makes it to my door. 
      July 14, 2019 12:24 PM MDT

I take it you don't like fruit cakes either....:) 
      July 31, 2019 3:05 AM MDT

Tell the fruit cakes where to go....:( 
      July 14, 2019 12:37 PM MDT

Lucky for me that none of them have the code to get into the building. HA!!!!!!
      July 14, 2019 12:41 PM MDT

It' been more than 40 years since a Jehovah's Witness knocked on my door.  Of course, I live in an apartment building, so someone would have had to let them in.  

I do recall having a very interesting conversation with a couple that came to the door of my sister's house many years back.  Less about religion than the slow demise of morals and ethics.  As always, they were very polite.
      July 14, 2019 1:46 PM MDT

Yeah...like Canadians.
      July 14, 2019 4:34 PM MDT

Yes, like Canadians. :)
      July 14, 2019 5:37 PM MDT

Going on aboot Canadians, eh?
      July 30, 2019 7:57 PM MDT

Most all of the Canadians I've met have been very nice and very civil.  That's what I like about them so much.  
      July 30, 2019 9:32 PM MDT

Strangers at the door get the same treatment as incoming calls from me.  Ignore.  I have nothing against the JW......they are witnessing which does not surprise.  They can always leave the little book.  My community does not allow any kind of soliciting and if some of those old board members with absolutely no life get a call they will track those people down and give them a good what for and why.  Shaking my head.
      July 14, 2019 7:28 PM MDT

Crank up Motley Crue's "Shout at the Devil" full blast before opening the door.

Tell them they may come in, but I'll have to cast a spell on them like I do everyone else. 

Throw on a hijab.

July 14, 2019 8:50 PM MDT

I've never had any problems with Jehovah Witnesses. They came to my house once to talk and they chose prophecy as the subject. I love Bible prophecy so it was a treat for me. They asked me questions and I answered. I asked them questions they couldn't answer. Ten minutes later they left and never came back. They did leave me some literature that I promptly threw away after they left. They were very nice people though and pleasant to talk too. Contrary to the negative things some people say about them. :)
      July 23, 2019 1:41 PM MDT

I simply, but politely, make clear that I am not religious, I don't like or trust cults like theirs (they don't like it being called a "cult"!) but if I were to become religious I'd follow my family's old and rather nominal Anglicanism and attend the local church!

I've friend who'd establish which cult the evangelists represented, and if Jehovah's Witnesses would say he's a Mormon, and vice-versa. That usually sent them packing and not coming back!

I've another whose old ruse was to say "Bush Baptist", and on being asked to explain would describe naughty but totally fictitious pagan rituals like dancing naked in moonlit woods.

There is a sad side to that though. A former girl-friend was a White Witch (a Wiccan priestess). Wicca is a rather fey, slightly eccentric but totally innocuous nature-worship whose greatest sins to Christians and para-Christians, are apparently not only being pagan but worse, believing the supreme deity is female: the original "Mother Nature". One day her neighbour with whom she'd on good terms, suddenly stopped speaking to her for about 3 months. Nina (my GF) had not know this neighbour was a Jehovah's Witness, and vice-versa, until the woman was told by two fellow JWs to whom Nina had openly admitted her paganism when they came a-knocking.  Nina could not establish if the neighbour was merely intolerant of non-JW faith, or frightened to know a real, live pagan! 

'

I did have one unsettling moment with these JW clowns. Two respectably-dressed men, one in his 50s I suppose, the other 20s: may have been father and son but I had no way of telling. After some ten minutes or so of the older man rabbiting on, and me telling them why I'd not join them, but if I ever did I'd introduce myself at their local Kingdom Hall, not far away, they realised this going nowhere.

So the younger man, who had said nothing but listed attentively throughout, suddenly stepped forwards and asked my name. I was quick enough to say they don't need to know my name, which they did accept.

I think that was an ambush that often worked, but not this time.

They left, having handed me a pamphlet that went straight in the bin.
      July 30, 2019 7:37 AM MDT

Great and funny stories in your reply!  Thanks for sharing. 
      July 30, 2019 7:52 PM MDT

I have a better time with Hasidic Jews and their Mitzvah Tanks, where they stop you on the street and ask if you're Jewish. I just say, "Why, are you?" They're so surprised by this response that I escape and walk away before they can get me to take part in any ritual activities.
      July 30, 2019 8:26 PM MDT

I don't, I invite them in and have a nice little argument. I know the Bible better than most of them do (including Greek and a little Hebrew), so when they quote bits out of context I refute them, usually applying historical and cultural exegesis which NONE of them know - at least none I've ever met.
    A gay friend of mine was disowned by his JW family when he came out. 1 Tim 5:8 cowed them. He's accepted again, even if they don't accept his lifestyle.
      July 30, 2019 8:37 PM MDT

I don't know if they were religious missionaries or not but last summer some people in Sunday clothes came up my driveway but they backed out and turned around without saying anything when I walked up to their car and asked them what part of private drive they didn't understand.

I was outside taking a walk with somebody when they showed up.  Maybe my all black outfit and makeup scared them away.  It was either that or maybe the leash and collar and nothing else I had on the other person scared them off but they never came back again.  They probably went home and told all their friends to stay away also.

This post was edited by Livvie at July 31, 2019 1:28 AM MDT
      July 30, 2019 9:55 PM MDT

I'd tell them I am already a Jehovah Witness so please don't bother me anymore. 
      July 30, 2019 11:17 PM MDT

• Jehovah's Witnesses are OK but the Mormon boys that come by are usually way cuter.  I always find myself talking to them a little bit longer. The Baptists, Jews, Catholics, Muslims, Buddhists, Scientologists, and Satanists never come by.  Unless of course those volunteers campaigning door to door for Trump during election season count as satanists.  Anyhoo, none of them can even hold a candle to my Pizza delivery boy.  I like him, and seeing as how I already know Jehovah and Jesus pretty darn well, Dominoes serves a much greater need in my life at those times.  Thank God for Pizza, cute guys, and Salvation.

Image result for i like boys who love jesus
      July 31, 2019 3:41 AM MDT