Active Now

Chief Ten Beers
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » answerMug Members » Who's thinking of leaving this site due to the recent spate of puerile and trollish questions?

Who's thinking of leaving this site due to the recent spate of puerile and trollish questions?

Posted - July 14, 2019

Responses

me 
      July 14, 2019 2:38 PM MDT

• I have often tried to strike a balance between the absurd and the introspective when posting here.  Sometimes I have succeeded and other times I have failed.  Even miserably.  Whenever I have crossed the line I generally get a slap on the wrist and a friendly reminder of the rules by which the game is to be played.  I accept it and move on.  Personally I think a site is at its best only when it reflects many different points of views and interests.  With answerMug being at the fulcrum, the playful inane antics help give balance to the intellectual higher-minded musings and vice versa.  However, balance is a tricky thing it requires perfect calibration.  If things are thrown too far in one direction or the other, it doesn't work correctly anymore.  I personally think this site needs to have a little fresh air breathed into it, but we need to be careful that too much of that air blowing through isn't coming from the sewer.  I would hate to see anyone leave because they have taken offense at topics presented in the main forum, especially if I were the perpetrator of said posts.  I am equally disappointed to hear that those, whose only desire it is to have fun, might want to exit also because of sheer boredom.  Perhaps it is asking too much for people to police themselves, but surely we all have the capacity within us to know when enough is enough and how to let good sense and common courtesy prevail.  Then again, I'm a dreamer and I like to believe the best in myself as well as others.  Silly me.
    This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at July 14, 2019 10:17 PM MDT
      July 14, 2019 3:10 PM MDT

You're one of the ones I love - and I've never taken your playfulness as trollish in intent. 
    I like your balance.
    I will try to think up a few fresh air questions.
    Many thanks, my twinkly friend. :)
      July 14, 2019 3:38 PM MDT

• It may be the height of arrogance to present you with a link to one of my own questions

in the hopes that you'll visit and grace myself as well as others with your thoughts, 
    but I know you are environmentally minded
    and I thought that in lieu of answering a litany of crude questions
    you might prefer to reflect on this one.  Either way, as I've said before,
    I always enjoy your post no matter what the topic. 

https://answermug.com/forums/topic/85137/so-you-take-much-from-god-s-garden-this-earth-but-what-do-you/view/post_id/665379
      July 14, 2019 3:59 PM MDT

The puerile questions are less a spate than a bubbling stream, usually sprung from the same sources. Disjointed word salads and lowbrow queries about sandwiches, trash bags and inane hypotheticals are more the norm than the exception.

So be it, won’t chase me off. There are pearls sprinkled here and there. 

Society at large seems populated in a similar proportion. 

This post was edited by Don Barzini at July 14, 2019 8:52 PM MDT
      July 14, 2019 4:14 PM MDT

I'm not ready to leave the site, but I will admit that those childish, attention seeking questions masquerading as the epitome of intellect and wit are beginning to irritate me.  I could skip those few posters if the irritating language was not glaring out in the headline itself.  
      July 14, 2019 4:16 PM MDT

(I'm sorry.)
      July 14, 2019 4:56 PM MDT

Hey, I'm just old-fashioned.  What can I say?  :)
      July 14, 2019 5:33 PM MDT

I never meant you, Element.
    You can be cheeky, funny, ironic, mad - but I've never seen you puerile - i.e., grossly-over-the-top-offensive-just-to-provoke-peeps-for-the-fun-of-it.
      July 14, 2019 5:53 PM MDT

No, I would not, even though I am guilty of a few of those. I would sorely miss your thoughtful answers. I would especially miss the challenging science questions you PMd me.
      July 14, 2019 4:47 PM MDT

It's the balance of life
    presenting itself
    in all of it's myriad
    costumes and creations...
    ...wherever you go 
    outside of your Self,
    ...there it is
      July 14, 2019 5:05 PM MDT

(its)

No apostrophe. 
      July 14, 2019 5:28 PM MDT

• I'm so glad it was someone other than me making the its/it's mistake this time.
      July 15, 2019 4:19 AM MDT

True  :/
      July 14, 2019 5:53 PM MDT

Why would I leave?  I’d miss out on opportunities to rebut them!

July 14, 2019 5:29 PM MDT

Well I'm not planning on leaving because of the puerile and trollish questions but if the questions start being too much of an adult nature I might have to leave for safety reasons. When I see questions that are adult I blush and my face turns a bright red then if I go outside like that a bear might mistake me for a Huckal berry and bite my head off. Cheers!
      July 14, 2019 6:26 PM MDT

• Nanoose, you always make me giggle.  I so enjoy your lightheartedness.
      July 15, 2019 4:22 AM MDT