Active Now

Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » So to be a Christian all ya gotta do is believe that Jesus was God's only begotten son? That's it? Are you sure there isn't more?

So to be a Christian all ya gotta do is believe that Jesus was God's only begotten son? That's it? Are you sure there isn't more?

Posted - July 15, 2019

Responses

No. Believing is step one.

1. Believe (in God, Jesus and His sacrifice for our sins)
    2. Repent (acknowledge your sins and change)
    3. Learn and Follow God's teachings (then go back to step 2.)
      July 15, 2019 7:17 AM MDT

• m2c is correct,
    and if I might expand on her reply just a bit, learning and following his teachings was made so very simple for us.  When Jesus was asked which is the greatest commandment he said this,

"'Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.  This is the first and greatest
    commandment.   And the second is like it:  Love your neighbor as yourself. All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."  Matthew 22 37-40

This is why love is so important;
    and its so incredibly uncomplicated.

"Above all, love each other deeply,
    because love covers over a multitude of sins."
    1 Peter 4-8

If we love the way Christ loved then everything else will fall into place.
    God's plan is easy.  He designed it to be so for his children.
    Its Satan that wants to make it complicated for us.  
    He is the master of Chaos in his endless efforts to deceive.

LOVE,
    because God is Love,
    and for a Christian it starts with both the belief in love
    and in its truest and ultimate expression
    the life and death of Jesus Christ.
    This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at July 16, 2019 5:46 AM MDT
      July 15, 2019 7:39 AM MDT

Thank you for your thoughtful reply TD. Here's the backstory. A respondent said that being a Christian had nothing to do with behavior. All you have to do is believe Jesus is the only begotten son of God. I questioned that. I said being a Christian is all about behavior. That is why we have the Ten Commandments as guidelines. I don't know if he replied. But I think people have radically different ideas of what a Christian is. I'm going to ask. Happy Tuesday!.
      July 16, 2019 5:48 AM MDT

Someone said that's all that being a Christian means m2c. I forget which respondent. He said it has nothing to do with behavior. I brought up the TEN COMMANDMENTS which is all about behavior. I don't think he/she responded to that. I think different people really have radically different ideas of what it means to be a Christian. Thank you for your reply! :)
      July 16, 2019 5:46 AM MDT

Sadly many churches teach that because we are under grace that we can do what we want just ask forgiveness later. 
    Yes, we are under grace and yes God will forgive but we are required to make those changes in our behavior as they come to light. 
    Rom 6:15 Well then, since God’s grace has set us free from the law, does that mean we can go on sinning? Of course not!
      July 16, 2019 6:10 AM MDT