Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Finance » Did you know that 40% of America's corn (maize) crops are used to make ethanol for fuel?

Did you know that 40% of America's corn (maize) crops are used to make ethanol for fuel?

36% is used for animal feed. It takes 22 pounds (10Kilos) of corn to make one gallon of ethanol and uses more energy to make it than is created when burned. It is quite inefficient as an engine fuel compared to gasoline. It's carbon dioxide product is slightly less than gasoline, but more is needed to travel the same distance. IOW, using ethanol as a clean alternative fuel is a government scam, paid for by the corn industry lobby. I could go on, but I don't want to bore you.

Posted - July 15, 2019

Responses

Interesting. And not surprising.

Paper bags vs plastic is similar paper bags leave more of a carbon footprint than paper. But everyone thinks paper is more green.
      July 15, 2019 7:41 PM MDT

True...But my latest research shows over 35% of paper products are made from recycled. I personally refute that, as not every one recycles their paper. I cant remember the website where I got that.
      July 15, 2019 7:45 PM MDT

That same corn lobby is what has covertly insinuated corn and its many derivatives into every and any kind of food product you can imagine. 
    Corn isn’t even that nutritious. This post was edited by Don Barzini at July 15, 2019 8:32 PM MDT
      July 15, 2019 7:48 PM MDT

It fattens up those cattle, though.
      July 15, 2019 8:33 PM MDT

The exhaust coming outta a modern diesel truck engine is reported to be cleaner than when it gets sucked into the engine intake. (that's what DEF does) Hard to believe. I thought I'd throw that in there. Oh, and truck diesel fuel is about 20% soybean oil.
      July 16, 2019 7:27 AM MDT

I know that sweet corn (that which we humans buy at the market) is a small percentage of corn that is grown here. Popcorn is a small percentage too.   Field corn is the biggy.  That is what is used for ethanol as well as farm feeds.  There are other types  too.  I remember this "lesson" I had to endure when walking acreage with my inlaws many years ago.

I've never thought so much about ethanol as cleaner, but rather as a way to enhance fuel independence.  The science is there which is a good thing. This post was edited by Thriftymaid at July 16, 2019 4:44 PM MDT
      July 16, 2019 4:42 PM MDT