Active Now

Danilo_G
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Have you noticed over the past five years or so how many people have been given the lable 'hero'?

Have you noticed over the past five years or so how many people have been given the lable 'hero'?

I thought to be a hero, you must put your own life at risk. Jumping into a pool to keep someone from drowning is not being a hero, even though saving a person's life is important. Your thoughts?

Posted - July 20, 2019

Responses

• I haven’t noticed, but I like this song and I wanted to answer your question. 

July 20, 2019 1:35 PM MDT

The word has become widely over-used.  
      July 20, 2019 1:44 PM MDT

Pulling someone from a burning building makes a hero.
      July 20, 2019 1:46 PM MDT

You can drown jumping into a pool to save someone.  That almost happened to me when my niece jumped off the diving board and didn't seem to come up right away.  I was already in the water, but she fought me so hard that I almost drowned trying to keep HER head above water.  It wasn't until someone on the edge of the pool realize what was happening and came to my rescue.  However, I don't consider myself a hero.
      July 20, 2019 2:05 PM MDT

• I've rescued many many guys from a long lonely night of frustration and boredom.

I'M A HERO!

No need to thank me. Just doing my part to be a better citizen of the world,
    and a person of true quality to the gay community at large,
    Ok! Alright! More like a good patron of the Adult theatre downtown, WHATEVER!

Just remember kids, stay in school, learn the golden rule,

wash your hands, and don't take candy from strangers.
    One day you too can be a hero, just like me.

Your mom will be so proud!

July 20, 2019 5:51 PM MDT

The two different people I saved from possible death, never knew my name. I was just in the right place at the right time. 
      July 20, 2019 6:57 PM MDT

Yes.  Americans can ruin a word in a season.
      July 20, 2019 6:57 PM MDT

(lable label)

Especially when it refers to military service, I have long DETESTED the misuse and overuse of the words "hero", "heroic", and "heroism".  Instead, I prefer the words "patriot", "patriotic", and "patriotism" because the acts of serving one's country, doing one's duty, doing what is expected of someone, these do not denote heroism. Going above and beyond is how heroism should be defined.  I served in the US Marine Corps.  I love my country and I'm proud to have had the privilege to serve Her. That doesn't make me a hero. Thousands of men, women and even children have committed heroic acts throughout history. I have not. Calling a non-hero heroic cheapens true heroism. 

One man's opinion.
    ~

July 20, 2019 7:14 PM MDT

And a good opinion. Even those who are interviewed after an "heroic" act will deny it. They will say something like "Anyone would have done the same thing." or "Just doing my job."
      July 22, 2019 7:01 AM MDT

It's become a catchall phrase for anyone who comes to any rescue, even if it's just a stranger who picks up a baby's dropped dummy and returns it to the mother.

It's also the name of a personality type - the kind of person who as a child grew up rescuing his or her dysfunctional parents in various ways. The horse whisperer Monty Roberts is a good example. Comes with a package of side-effects.
      July 20, 2019 8:44 PM MDT