Active Now

Danilo_G
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Is it about time that car manufacturers designed an in-car air conditioning unit that will work when the ignition is off?

Is it about time that car manufacturers designed an in-car air conditioning unit that will work when the ignition is off?

There has been a lot of talk recently about the ethics of leaving dogs in locked cars in hot weather. If there was a small battery-powered air-con unit that would either plug into the existing air-con system, or have a separate vent, there would be no need for animals to suffer in cars, and people wouldn't have to worry about the security risk of leaving a car unattended with the window part rolled down.

Posted - July 30, 2019

Responses

If the A/C ran off the car's battery, the battery would die after a period of time.  As you drive, the battery recharges itself.  If the engine is not running, the battery doesn't recharge.  
      July 30, 2019 10:38 AM MDT

I meant "battery-powered" in the sense of having its own battery. I realise the wording may not have made that clear.
      July 31, 2019 11:44 AM MDT

Or just put one of those grills in your vehicle window ... like the police K9 units have.
    And if you want airflow ... they already have solar-powered vehicle fans.
      July 30, 2019 10:57 AM MDT

Good Morning Rev~
    I hope I'm reading your question correctly.  It's a bit early.
    I think it has been thought of by these companies.
    Here's the link:
    https://phys.org/news/2011-10-solar-powered-air-conditioning-vehicles.htm

The problem may lie in other companies not wanting to implement this idea into their vehicles.  Dogs sufffer because of this.  Well, this and not being a responsible pet owner. This post was edited by Merlin at July 31, 2019 11:44 AM MDT
      July 31, 2019 6:56 AM MDT

Thank you Walt and Merlin - I had not heard of those products. I will recommend them to dog owners.
      July 31, 2019 2:07 PM MDT