Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » How can i get any sleep while traveling?

How can i get any sleep while traveling?

Irn traveling on the 13th for about a wk, irn going all the way to south arnerica where i was born, rny brothers asked rne and rny sister to go with thern to see relatives there, as fun as it will be we're going to be flying overnight, so i wont have any privacy or be able to sleep alone, i'll have everyone on the plane to listen to, and irn a light sleeper, so how do i sleep, cant take sleeping pills cause i have to have benadryl cause of allergies, so that rnight help rne  sleep sornewhat, i could take rnelatonin with rne but theres no guarantee i'll sleep, any ideas of how to get sorne sleep when youre traveling overnight, i could try avoiding caffeine, anything else?

Posted - August 1, 2019

Responses

I have the same problem. I had a 13 hour flight from Saudi Arabia to NYC yeas ago and had a rough time sleeping. Try this. Don't try to sleep. Take two benadryls and watch a crappy inflight movie. Have a couple of drinks if you do so.
      August 1, 2019 6:57 PM MDT

cant rnix benadryl with drinking
      August 1, 2019 7:29 PM MDT

I have...puts me to sleep quickly. Only a few times after a painful surgery.
      August 1, 2019 7:31 PM MDT

They make these really cheap sleeping kits with an eye mask and ear plugs that I recommend. Also try some lavender-infused lotion. (Be sure it's in a small bottle or you can't bring it on the plane).  

Have a wonderful trip! 
      August 1, 2019 7:52 PM MDT

Fear not
    Your body will take whatever sleep it needs
    when it can. All you need to do is relax,
    have a good time and don't
    create problems for yourself.
      August 1, 2019 11:47 PM MDT

Wow, those words would be good thing to imprint on a T-shirt for myself and wear it every day. Or maybe I could put them on the fridge  or bathroom mirror.
    :)
      August 2, 2019 5:35 AM MDT

Enjoy your trip!
    :)
      August 2, 2019 5:36 AM MDT

I can't sleep well on planes either. Losing a night's sleep isn't that bad and you will likely have a catnap or two to tide you over. You'll be fine, just carry on and expect to catch up on sleep your first night at your destination. That fact that you are traveling south means that jet lag won't be an issue and your body won't have to adjust. Also, Benedryl  has the same primary ingredient as some sleep aids, so it should help you doze a little.  When I went to China and didn't sleep on a 17 hour flight and then dealt with a 12 hour time difference, I still managed to have a great trip.
      August 2, 2019 7:19 AM MDT