Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Weather » Why do I rarely, if ever, hear people get excited about rain?

Why do I rarely, if ever, hear people get excited about rain?

Just yesterday, the female radio DJ, in the weather forecast, said in an extremely happy and perky voice -- " for the next three days, PLENTY of sunshine . . ."
She was practically losing bowel control she was so happy.

I've never heard anyone in the same tone of voice say - - "for the next three days, PLENTY of rain . . ."

Image result for raining gif

Posted - August 3, 2019

Responses

Maybe you don’t hang around many farmers. (?)
      August 3, 2019 7:38 AM MDT

Great point, Don Barzini.
    I actually do hang around a lot of farmers. And, shame on me, I may have taken them for granted. When I posted the question, I think I may have been thinking of the general population and simply this particular radio DJ. My choice of words -- "never heard anyone"  -- was not so good or appropriate.
    I'll leave them, though.

Thanks for answering and for the gentle reminder for me.
    :)

August 3, 2019 8:50 AM MDT

What is amusing to me about all of this, is that your DJ was so all-fired perky about 3 consecutive days of sunshine. 
    3 days of sunshine, or even 20 days on a row is somewhat of a banality here in S Fla. 
    I guess you have been having lousy weather of late.  This post was edited by Don Barzini at August 3, 2019 6:51 PM MDT
      August 3, 2019 9:09 AM MDT

Not really, actually.
    Around me, it seems anytime there might be a day or two of clouds, the SunnyMajority go into major depression and have to scream for the sun. Ha!
      August 3, 2019 6:52 PM MDT

I don't get excited, but we really, really need some.
      August 3, 2019 8:46 AM MDT

I have always loved the rain. In spite of a recent flooded basement, I still like rain over sun, in general.

I think I even get excited about it ha!

Thanks for answering, Element 99.
      August 3, 2019 8:52 AM MDT

come visit.

I live in Arizona.  We get excited.  Really excited. It hasn't rained much in months so far and we need it.  BADLY.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at August 3, 2019 7:28 PM MDT
      August 3, 2019 8:51 AM MDT

i LOVE your answer about excitement -- I get excited almost every time I see rain. Fortunately, I experience it more often than you do.

Thanks for answering, "Michelle"! I'm off to work -  - see you!
      August 3, 2019 8:54 AM MDT

I'm an idiot sometimes - -  this looks like one guy portraying all four Beatles? I don't know this song -- is that the Beatles singing or this guy doing a cover of a Beatles song?

In any case, I enjoyed it all - - watching and listening!
      August 3, 2019 6:57 PM MDT

I like but I want it to do it at night. 
      August 3, 2019 9:02 AM MDT

I enjoy night rain, too.
      August 3, 2019 6:58 PM MDT

• Wait a couple more years. People will be praying for it.
      August 3, 2019 9:35 AM MDT

You may be right, LoonLips.

or maybe I should put a frown, considering the subject.
    ;(
      August 3, 2019 6:59 PM MDT

• We get excited about it here in California because we're so accustomed to drought. 
      August 3, 2019 9:39 AM MDT

Amen to that statement!  Only here in L.A., the streets weren't built to accomodate any substantial rain at all.  This leads to oil slicks on the roads.  Bad. Bad. Bad.  :(  
    I do agree with you.  Rain is a welcome sight when it comes for the flowers and the ground itself. :) :)
      August 3, 2019 6:10 PM MDT

I think i may have been a bit "myopic' in my question --  not considering how dry and sunny it can be all the time for various parts of the world.
    I live where no one type of weather tends to dominate.
    Good to see you, Nevan B.
      August 3, 2019 7:00 PM MDT

I think it stems back to when we were children.  On rainy days we were sad because we couldn't outside and play.  Now-a-days, people seem to want to be inside more than outside.  
    On rainy days, we would have no freedom.
    On sunny days, everyone was happy and could do anything they liked at any time.
    The weather has always fascinated me.  Being from the Pacific Northwest originally, I haven't been a big fan of rain.  However, since my adult life, I have found a good dousing every once in a while is good for the soul.
    :) :) This post was edited by Merlin at August 4, 2019 6:44 AM MDT
      August 3, 2019 6:15 PM MDT

I remember one time in school when I was ten years old- - the teacher talked about weather patterns. And he mentioned the weather in Seattle, Washington, USA being rainy. I knew then I wanted to live there. I haven't made it there yet. I've loved rain my whole life -- my parents always allowed my siblings  and I to play in the rain. We only had to dry off before coming into the rest of the house. We were outside a lot.

My dad, specifically, introduced us children to the joys of thunderstorms - -we would go outside and watch the storms approach. (Of course, we'd go inside when it got dangerous.)

I love my dad for sharing his love of stormy weather with us. We'd even sit at the dining room windows, watching the storms and then applaud at particularly impressive lightning.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at August 4, 2019 6:44 AM MDT
      August 3, 2019 7:06 PM MDT

That is the coolest of cool for your dad to do that!  Way to be Daddy!  And you for appreciating it!!
    The "stuff" that goes on in our skies every day and night plays a huge factor on all of us.  Our attire.  Our attitudes.  Our hobbies.  Our sports.  Our everything!!
    Many take it granted or don't care to notice and go on day to day without giving it another thought.
    Then, there are people like us who pull over and take a picture of cool clouds or a great sunrise or sunset.  Us, who get up to get snapshots of the sunrise or lay awake with our cameras during a meteor shower hoping to catch one on film.  Or, appreciate a good sunset at night and even take a picture of it in a Lowe's parking lot.  A parking lot of all places!!  How dare Lowe's to buy such great real estate and put a parking lot there!  I'm serious!  It really bums me... but still, I take sunset pictures. It reminds me of this song:
      August 3, 2019 11:00 PM MDT

I like Counting Crows.

I still SO equate this song with Joni Mitchell. Wait - - is she the one? now I can't remember.
      August 4, 2019 12:55 PM MDT

My other comment to you made me think of this song I like -- Lindsey Buckingham's "Play in the Rain."

I really like Buckingham's solo stuff.

August 3, 2019 7:28 PM MDT

Very awesome.  I haven't thought of Lindsey Buckingham in years!  Defintiely a great call!  Thanks for sharing, Welby!
    Happy! Happy!
      August 3, 2019 11:20 PM MDT

You're welcome, Merlin!
      August 4, 2019 7:07 PM MDT

•   August 3, 2019 7:02 PM MDT