Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Statements » I'm watching and listening to many people today - - and I just shake my head

I'm watching and listening to many people today - - and I just shake my head

and I think Aimee Mann is making much sense for me

" it's not going to stop . . .

it's not going to stop . . . 

it's not going to stop . . .

. . .  til you wise up "

Posted - August 5, 2019

Responses

I'm not shaking my head QUITE so much, four days after posting

-- except, Aimee, I bet some people out there who have not taken time to listen to your song here - - they don't know what they're missing. But I know. I've heard. And you've bettered my life with just your one song here. (Even though I like everything I've heard from you.)

Disclaimer - - WelbyQuentin has not lost his mind. Ha! Unless he lost it long ago and he's simply now used to this new strange norm of talking to himself in the third person. Ha!
      August 8, 2019 8:36 PM MDT

Not a single person posted even being here, let alone listening - - after over a month.

Their loss.

Huge loss.

September 16, 2019 7:02 PM MDT

• Let's just post Aimee videos back and forth. 

I'm in your camp on this one.  She's great.

I love this one...

September 16, 2019 7:19 PM MDT

Yeah, good idea-  - if Rosie can have a corner, than this could be Aimee's Corner.

Yup, I love the song you posted, too.

I know I posted this song to you once before in a thread somewhere but I remember your mentioning that you like the character "Jacob Marley" :

"Jacob Marley's Chain"

September 17, 2019 3:13 PM MDT

• I'm so glad you posted this song because if you hadn't it was gonna be my next one. 

I don't know if you recall me mentioning it before but I have waxed on many times around here in holiday and literature posts about how much I love Dickens' Story "A Christmas Carol".  Hands down my favorite.  Which easily gives old Jacob Marley the position of being one of my all time favorite fictional characters. 

Anyhow, because of all that I make it a point to consistently include this song in my Christmas playlists.  LOL!  Other people when they hear it often find it depressing and even a little off-putting.  Ask me if I care.  Not one bit.  It stays on the list.  Sandwiched right between the "Winter Wonderlands" and the "Little Drummer Boys".  Good one, Welby.

And now here's my next one.  One of my faves from back in her days with 'Til Tuesday is a 1988 song called "Rip In Heaven" from their third studio album titled "Everything's Different Now"  It has always moved me since I first started getting into her.  Melody and lyrics are pop perfect.

September 17, 2019 3:38 PM MDT

i WILL be back  - I need to leave for work now! Darn! I like 'Til Tuesday -- but unfamiliar with most of their stuff.

Thanks again!

Real quick - -as far as depressing goes -- it's all good ot me.

Hey, and if you don't know it- - look this one up -- the most depressing christmas song I've yet to hear -- and i LOVE it- - 

"C'mon Christmas"   by Dwight Yoakam

hey, I just got done listening to this 'til tuesday song while i was typing - - i like this!! Thanks

typos galore now --

i'm going to go really quckly and post Yoakam's song- - you got to hear it if you ahven't heard it beofre= = be right back to psot, then out of here- - 

see ya!
    :)
    be well

EDIT:

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at September 20, 2019 11:26 AM MDT
      September 17, 2019 3:45 PM MDT

• I quite like it, Welby.  I love Christmas music and it is definitely one exception where I am open to many genres and artists, and moods.  I actually have a few little gems by Mr. Yoakam in my collection.  One of my faves is a duet he does with Sheryl Crow on a cover version of Sonny and Cher's "Baby Don't Go". 

Anyhow while we're on Christmas music.  I know you're a fan of Christina Perri, or at least of her song "Jar Of Hearts".  I'm posting a wonderful Christmas tune from her Holiday EP.  This ones called "Something About December"  So lovely. 

Oh yeah, in keeping with the theme I am also posting a track I love by Aimee Mann from her Christmas release.  Its a cover version of Frank Sinatra's "Whatever Happened To Christmas"

I'll be waiting here to see what you come back with.  LOL!
      September 19, 2019 3:55 AM MDT

I have to get going now but I will be back!
    Thanks, and I am almost totally certain that once I listen I will really like both of these songs you posted -- both women have yet to disappoint me and I've heard neither song.

Be Well!
      September 19, 2019 7:34 AM MDT

• BTW.  Not sure if its a fact that's ever appeared on your radar, but in addition to all the different artists I like, at the very core of a few of my faves, is Amy Grant.  I love her.  Occasionally I will post something and mention it around here.  So, a little factoid for you.  The same year, 1985, that Aimee Mann was bursting on the scene with "Voices Carry" by Til Tuesday Amy Grant was making her crossover from Christian music to pop music.  Grant's second single from the album "Unguarded" was titled "Wise up".  It was the follow up song to her top 40 hit, "Love Will Find A Way".  Every time I look up Amy's song "Wise Up" inevitably I am presented with Aimee Mann's "Wise Up" as well.  Outside of sharing the same title though the two songs are nothing alike.  Amy's has the true scent of 80's on hers because its one of her older tracks.  OMG!  Blah!  Blah!  Blah!  Stupid music info that only you and I would care about.  So without further adieu here comes another way back flash back video in keeping with the theme of Wise Up.  Or singers named Amy/Aimee...

I'm cracking up watching this Shizz! 
    What was in the water in the 80's?  LOL!  
      September 19, 2019 6:54 PM MDT

Getting ready to leave for the day again. Haven't listened yet but wanted to let you know I've seen your posts here, thanks!
    Hope to be back later at some point!
    I do know of Grant, yeah. :) I think there was an 'Angels" song of hers I liked.

Be Well!
      September 20, 2019 6:20 AM MDT

• Its Ok, Welby.  No rush to get them watched.  Don't tell everyone around here, but you and I both have lives outside the Mug.  If they were to ever find out though we wouldn't be allowed to hang with the cool kids anymore.  so, Shhh. 

Hey I was wondering if you are familiar with any of the music done by Aimee Mann's husband, Michael Penn.  He one of actor Sean Penn's brothers.  I think his other brother Chris Penn died a few years ago.  Anyhow, she and Michael have been married since sometime in the far away time of the 90's and he records and releases a lot of stuff as well. 

He had a top 20 hit back in...I think it was 89 or 90.  I'd have to look it up.  The song is called "No Myth"  I like it alot.  Has a great sound, at least to me it does.  I'll post it in case you aren't familiar with it.  That way you can listen and love it as much as I do.  LOL!  

BTW.  I hope you don't mind me sort of loitering around this post of yours and littering it with an eclectic mix of videos and mind numbing music trivia.  Please let me know if you do so I can increase my presence here just to annoy you even further.  I'm like that, but I'm a good boy.

Aimee and Michael have also recorded a number of duets together maybe I might post a couple of those later.  Gotta run right now.  Gotta goat to see to.
      September 20, 2019 11:25 AM MDT

I heard the Perri song just now! Jesus! Literally! Christina Perri just SENDS me!!!!!!!!!
    Thank you!
      September 24, 2019 7:16 PM MDT

• Oh Good.  I'm tickled you like it.  Its one of my faves.  While I was going through this thread again I had music playing in the background and one of the songs that popped up was that cover version of "Drive" by the Cars that I introduced you to performed by "Britta Phillips".  It occurred to me while that was playing that I have failed you miserably as a musical friend because I never even mentioned at the time we were discussing Ric Ocasek's death that Aimee Mann also did a version of it as well for a 2018 program about Gianni Versace and Andrew Cunanan.  It was called "The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story" and is the second season of the FX true crime anthology television series American Crime Story.  I'm posting the song here for you.  Hope you like it and please forgive me if you already know of it.

September 25, 2019 12:01 AM MDT

I just listened to Aimee's Christmas song you posted. Nice! Thanks again!
    Hope you're well.
      October 1, 2019 7:03 PM MDT

I worship Aimee Mann.  But?  You need to shake something else, Welb.

September 20, 2019 11:31 AM MDT

Cool -- finding out you and Twinkle Dink like Mann so well, too! And Jon liked a lot of the answers/comments here, too.

I like this piece you posted! This is Zappa? I'm so out of it! 
    Thanks for sharing!

Yeah, at this point I'll take suggestions on other things I could shake! Ha!
      September 24, 2019 7:14 PM MDT