Active Now

Malizz
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » answerMug Members » What did you secretly hope for when you joined answerMug?

What did you secretly hope for when you joined answerMug?

Posted - August 6, 2019

Responses

Let ‘er rip, Officegirl. The weak of spirit can scroll past. 
      August 6, 2019 3:02 PM MDT

Thank you.  No I don't want to make people uncomfortable but I do miss the sharing and comparing notes in private messaging we used to do on AB.  I learned so much.  And especially that there were others like me out there.  On here private messaging is pretty rare and discouraged.  People don't seem to be into that. 
      August 6, 2019 3:13 PM MDT

How is private messaging discouraged?
      August 8, 2019 12:04 AM MDT

It's awkward here, to me.  I don't use it.  Plus you can only message with people you are friends with.  The whole friend thing is not important and I don't do much requesting and accepting.  There is nothing to it other than being able to private message.
      August 8, 2019 12:34 AM MDT

Thank you for your openness.

I'm sure there will be some very nice Mugger gentlemen who'll be happy to hear it.

Though perhaps your hands and heart are already as full as time allows - behind the scenes.

August 6, 2019 3:18 PM MDT

Certainly are nice gentlemen on here as there were on AB.  I think is not only them but we don't talk about those things on here because we are more private about them.  Which of course I can understand. I'm sorry to be so shallow and there are many interesting things but what is more interesting than love and sex and human relationships?  Which to me just seem to be so much at the center of life!
      August 6, 2019 3:37 PM MDT

What's more interesting than sex?  What do you want to know?  Hey wait, won't JA censor any messages that are too graphic?
      August 7, 2019 2:14 PM MDT

Agreed.
    Love and sex compel attention.
    That recipe rarely fails.
      August 7, 2019 3:01 PM MDT

I was on Answerbag and it was just suddenly gone. I was posting an answer and it just came back with a banner that said "Thank You for your Patronage"
    Upon searching to find out what happened, I found AM and saw other members also had found it, as well. 

The hope was that all members would also find their way here. Some did...some did not...some stayed...some did not. This post was edited by my2cents at August 8, 2019 12:35 AM MDT
      August 6, 2019 4:16 PM MDT

*saw*  *their* Come on, my2cents.
      August 6, 2019 4:29 PM MDT

Gawd...that's all we need...another grammar correctional officer.
      August 6, 2019 5:34 PM MDT

I'm not "another."  I'm the original grammar patrol.  
      August 6, 2019 6:05 PM MDT

You are Stu and Randy's mentor?
      August 6, 2019 6:09 PM MDT

They grow up so fast................
      August 6, 2019 6:13 PM MDT

Ha!
    :)
      August 6, 2019 6:37 PM MDT

LOL!
      August 6, 2019 6:52 PM MDT

I didn't know that.
    You're certainly sparing with it.
    I see it as useful.
    It's easy to make mistakes, and sometimes they have a critical effect on meaning.
      August 7, 2019 3:08 PM MDT

Here, we can use conversational English and let some of the rules be relaxed.  I do have a few pet peeves though...their/there/they're, then/than, see/seen/saw, you/your/you're, to/too/two, and if XX would have/if XX had.  These I cannot ignore easily.  A few misspellings drive me crazy, the worst is spelling judgment with two Es.  I know legal writing is responsible for that.    Also, even here, ending sentences with a preposition is like nails on a chalkboard.  Where's it at?  OUCH!!! This post was edited by Thriftymaid at August 8, 2019 12:46 AM MDT
      August 8, 2019 12:44 AM MDT

Judgment and judgement are both correct, so don't let it bother you so much. This post was edited by Stu Spelling Bee at August 8, 2019 1:56 AM MDT
      August 8, 2019 1:53 AM MDT

Does anyone here know how or why Answerbag disappeared?
      August 7, 2019 3:03 PM MDT

Just the people who shut it down. We had not warning or anything just gone. 
    The reboot is not the same format or anything. They do have some of the old content.
      August 7, 2019 4:08 PM MDT

It would seem to simply be a financial decision on Demand Media's (now Leaf Group) part, but I do not know for certain.  The people who bought the name have created about the worst QnA site I've ever seen.  
      August 7, 2019 4:19 PM MDT

Just checked out the current incarnation of Answerbag.
    Looks like just two people asking questions, except for a few Car Dealer Salesmen and the like - no answers.
    Certainly doesn't appeal to me.

The people in the finance dept over the takeover group must have been clueless.
    From the way it sounds like it was - such a close community where people really loved each other -
    I can imagine many would have felt an awful loss when it suddenly went off-line.
      August 8, 2019 12:11 AM MDT

Many of us did.  About four years prior they made changes that angered many of us and many of us found other sites to play on.  Thankfully we shared that on Answerbag so lots of us became members at Fluther, even though we all pretty much stayed on AB for the most part. But we had a way to contact each other on Fluther private message and some of us on Facebook.   But we did make an Answerbag group on Facebook so that we could always find each other.  There were two to start with as I remember then eventually the admins dropped off the grid and I'm the only one left.   I still talk to folks on that group sometimes.   It's nice to be able to announce things that matter to all of us from back then.  Sadly, we've had quite a few to die through the years.   That group helped us direct so many here to Answermug in 2015 (I think that was when Demand shut down AB).   We flooded AM and made this a full-time job for JustAsking there for a while.  We appreciate her creating a nice site here. This post was edited by Thriftymaid at August 8, 2019 1:50 AM MDT
      August 8, 2019 12:22 AM MDT

I stumbled on AnswerBag when I was trying to find I site where I used  to ask and answer software questions. It may or may not have been Answerbag, but if it was it was unrecognizable from the site I used. Anyhow, I was attracted by the humor and witty banter and I stuck around and then migrated to answerMug when that site shut down. I still primarily prefer light-hearted Q&A, but will occasionally join in a more serious discussion as long as it doesn't get too contentious.
      August 6, 2019 5:32 PM MDT