Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Food and Drink » What do you put in your tuna fish?

What do you put in your tuna fish?

Posted - August 8, 2019

Responses

Two ways.

This one is great.  It's Italian and simple and delicious.  You chop up a stalk of celery, finely.  You get the best, freshest lemons around (DO NOT DARE USE BOTTLED LEMON JUICE AWFUL)
    You get a clove of fresh garlic.  NOT bottled and not dry.  GOD NO.

FRESH garlic

And fresh parsley.  NOT that Chinese stuff and not NOT cilantro.  PARSLEY.  (I will allow good dried here, but fresh is better)

And very good tuna.  It can be canned, but it must be packed and solid.  Meaty. Not that watery stuff that has a few threads of flesh floating around.  And I don't care if it is in water or oil.  

Then you get the FINEST olive oil you can buy.  You need to taste the oil and not try and fight the taste but enjoy the taste so it has to be fresh and clean tasting.

So, mix the celery, mince the garlic, (one clove is enough) add the olive oil (a few tablespoons is normal),  and make sure there is enough oil and lemon juice to cover all the tuna and mix thoroughly.

OH GOD. I forgot the most important part.  Chop up an onion.  Put that in too.  We need that flavor.  Red or white and not an insane amount but at least a few tablespoons chopped.  

This is a great sandwich and you can put it on any bread but of course GREAT bread is best.

Or do the same thing and instead of lemon juice and oil just add a lot of mayonnaise.  

Also yummy.   Top both with chopped parsley. FINELY chopped.

This one you can add cheese to as well and use your favorite kind. I am partial to Havarti. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at August 8, 2019 8:10 PM MDT
      August 8, 2019 1:00 PM MDT

We do it two ways:  1)  with onion and chopped olives and 2) with celery and sweet relish.  Both recipes use salt, lemon and Mayo.  AND the previous commenter is right, everything must be chopped very finely.  I like mine best on toasted white bread with lots of crunchy iceberg lettuce.
      August 8, 2019 1:44 PM MDT

Dude. That sounds really really really good.  
      August 8, 2019 2:04 PM MDT

Pork grease and vegemite. With mayo and peanuts.
      August 8, 2019 3:36 PM MDT

First ,the  pointy bit of my can opener and then my fork ....  :)D 
      August 8, 2019 4:34 PM MDT

I don't put anything in it. The cats will just eat around whatever it is.
      August 8, 2019 5:28 PM MDT

• Greek yogurt
    Dijon mustard 
    Chopped pickles & green onion 
    Pepper & salt

August 8, 2019 6:29 PM MDT

I always enjoy some noodles/pasta with it in a baked casserole.
    :)
      August 8, 2019 8:11 PM MDT

And Hot Tuna is quite good on its own

;)

August 8, 2019 8:15 PM MDT

A Pick! Yay! Thanks, Zack!
      August 8, 2019 8:30 PM MDT

I only buy albacore, solid, in water.  I squeeze out the water and flake the tuna (one can).   I mush one boiled egg with a potato masher and add.  I add two tbsp diced dill pickle.  One teaspoon apple cider vinegar.  Then I add parsley, celery, pakrika,  and celery seed, and a heaping tbsp of mayo (the olive oil kind).  I mix and refrigerate at least an hour.  My favorite way to eat is to put lettuce on a plate, then place a tomato in the center and cut wedges without letting the knife go all the way to the bottom.  Spread the wedges and put the tuna inside.  This makes a very pretty plate of delicious food.   If you must have bread I suggest rye.   
      August 9, 2019 11:57 PM MDT

That sounds wondrous to me.

And albacore - -  I've really liked albacore.
      August 10, 2019 12:47 PM MDT

I only have it a few times per year so I don't worry about mercury.  I wanted to mention this.  The albacore has three times more mercury than regular light tuna.  It's a much larger fish than what regular light tuna comes from.  The difference to me, though, is huge.  Albacore is white with a less fishy smell and taste.
      August 10, 2019 3:03 PM MDT