Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Language » How often do you curse?

How often do you curse?

XYZ the adjectival expletive of an illegal, unprintable and highly improbable obscenity! I delete all over your censored!

I say that all the firetrucking time, for fudge's sake.

Posted - August 9, 2019

Responses

Whenever it seems necessary, or for purposes of entertainment. 
      August 9, 2019 5:09 AM MDT

Very rarely.
      August 9, 2019 5:38 AM MDT

When ever things go wrong bodes well with me....in some strange way it helps alive the pain if I ever stub my toe ,cut myself or break things....
    Mostly I take my anger out on some kind of imagiineary being....  That truly does help quite a lot ,God knows why though...:( 
      August 9, 2019 6:50 AM MDT

Often enough to underscore what I'm saying and infrequently enough for it not to lose its potency.
      August 9, 2019 8:22 AM MDT

I curse all of the time, but I am capable of cleaning up my language when I have to.
      August 9, 2019 8:26 AM MDT

A bit too much, but mostly at home and rarely in public. NEVER around children. I was at a party at my daughter's house and many were tossing around f*** as if they were in a biker bar, including my daughter. MY FOUR GRAND DAUGHTERS WERE THERE. (She got that from her mother; I never cursed around my children.) My wife and I were very disturbed and wanted to leave. I told my daughter about it and she agreed and is now avoiding it, at least when her kids are around.
      August 9, 2019 8:35 AM MDT

Stopping that little annoyance before it became an actual problem? BRAVO!!! Unfortunately, my whole family and the extended one never bothered to clean up anything around me. This post was edited by Zack at August 9, 2019 3:34 PM MDT
      August 9, 2019 8:53 AM MDT

I never curse or am profane.

Just because I don't believe in any "higher power" ... so it's impossible for me to profane it, or ask it to curse (or bless) anyone.

LOL
      August 9, 2019 9:16 AM MDT

Have you ever said the name of the president.  That is profane as hell.  

Trump.  There I said it too.  The sound is a fart.  Even the sound.  

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at August 9, 2019 9:50 PM MDT
      August 9, 2019 3:26 PM MDT

• I may actually try that, substituting his name in place of profanity.  I do like the idea, however speaking his name in an exclamatory manner reeks of summoning the devil.  LOL!
      August 9, 2019 3:37 PM MDT

Trump damn you. Go Trump yourself.  Son of a Trump.  

IT TOTALLY WORKS.  
      August 9, 2019 3:41 PM MDT

Trump damn you? NOOO.
      August 9, 2019 5:05 PM MDT

• It depends on whom I'm around. Around my friends who also swear often, I tend to as well, though usually not in anger. Around others, it's rare and it usually is in anger. 
      August 9, 2019 10:18 AM MDT

Gee Slarty.   I only think of a dirty word when I see your name in print.  Why is that, you ask?  Well I'll tell you why. It's because I can't stop thinking about a Smarty Fart Blast.  Oh, forgive me.  It's not personal.
      August 9, 2019 2:12 PM MDT

Douglas Adams was trying to invent a name that sounded vaguely obscene, but would still be broadcastable. "Slartibartfast" is what he came up with.
      August 9, 2019 9:52 PM MDT

• All damn day
      August 9, 2019 2:42 PM MDT

I blow in waves it seems.  

Sometimes I am chaste as hell.  
      August 9, 2019 3:24 PM MDT

• How often do I curse?  Only always...

"I work in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay.
    Its my true medium; I'm a master.

I've woven tapestries of obscenities that, as far anyone knows,
    is still hanging in space over Lake Michigan."

(very loosely and very lovingly lifted from "A Christmas Story")

August 9, 2019 3:25 PM MDT

Coming from you, I'd be in stitches with laughter.
    You'd put a particular spin on it which would leave no sting.
      August 10, 2019 3:06 AM MDT

Rarely. Super rarely.

I choose milder ones like "bl**dy".
    On the odd occasion that I do, I deliver it deadpan, as a joke - never in anger.

The strong swear words I don't use for swearing at all. 
    Those Anglo-Saxon terms for intimate body parts and actions are part of my day-to-day language with Ari.
    They've lost their swear-word resonance - no connection to anger.

It has always struck me as odd to use the terms for organs of generation and love as terms of abuse.
    What does that say about the way we think about love-making or the actions which bring new life into the world?
    Shouldn't such words be held in reverence and wonder? Or playfulness and delight? Or respect?

It strikes me as weird that to speak politely it might be preferable to ask my husband if he'd like to stroke my gluteus maximus...

takes a microsecond extra to compute the meaning
    just at the moment when one most needs to simplify.
      August 10, 2019 3:05 AM MDT

Come on, you're an Aussie. We call mates "c**t" and c**ts "mate".
      August 10, 2019 3:13 AM MDT

Sorry - I wasn't brought up that way.
    My parents didn't swear either - not even during their worst fights - and in those Dad left her with bruises and sometimes nearly killed her.
    Neither did I ever hear there friends swear.

The first time I heard swear words was at school.
    If I made the mistake of using a swear word I'd be sent to bed with no dinner.
    I'd come home and ask, was told the meaning, and told never to use them and why.
    My parents were not religious.
    Their view was that searing was inarticulate and there were far better ways to say what one meant.
    Dad was a journalist and novelist - among other things.

August 10, 2019 3:39 AM MDT

Sorry - I wasn't brought up that way.
    My parents didn't swear either - not even during their worst fights -
    and in those Dad left Mum with cuts and bruises and sometimes nearly killed her.
    Neither did I ever hear their friends swear.

The first time I heard swearing was at kindergarten - kids having fun being naughty. 
    If I made the mistake of repeating a swear word at home I'd be sent to bed with no dinner.
    I learned to ask the meaning of any new word - and was always answered.
    If it was a swear word I'd be told never to use it again and why.
    My parents were not religious.
    Their view was that swearing was inarticulate and there were far better ways to say what one meant.
    Dad was a journalist and novelist - among other things. Words were of paramount importance to him.

I've heard some psychologists argue that swearing is at times a necessary way to express powerful emotions.

I may be an Aussie, but I've never been a typical one.

This post was edited by inky at August 10, 2019 5:15 AM MDT
      August 10, 2019 3:39 AM MDT

Cursing is far preferable to physical violence imo. Any man who strikes his partner is lower than snake sh**.
      August 10, 2019 5:16 AM MDT