Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » Like the male of the human species, in the animal kingdom, are there species that display their genitals to the opposite sex to attract? ~

Like the male of the human species, in the animal kingdom, are there species that display their genitals to the opposite sex to attract? ~

Posted - August 11, 2019

Responses

I was not aware that human males thought that displaying their equipment was attractive to females.
    Maybe it is for some women and I'm just unaware of it.
    But I think if it were the case, human cultures would have universally developed culturally condoned and creative ways of doing it.
    Very few cultures have, and those only in very odd and non-sexual ways.

When they're in oestrus, female apes spend a fair bit of time displaying their inflamed genitalia to the dominant male.
    Lower-ranking females defer to the alpha-female. They will also attempt to mate with beta-males when the dominant male is not looking.
    It seems that being in season and preferring the top male are the only factors involved in their choice.
    He doesn't display to them. He may beat his chest, but this is a dominance ritual aimed at other males, nothing to do with courtship or eroticism.
    Bonobos are different - their culture is a free-for-all.

Across all zoological kingdoms, the majority of animals do not use genital display for courtship at all.
    Dolphin males do display but, according to researcher John Lily, it's more a function of general playfulness and joie de vivre than sexuality.
    I did quite a few searches and could only find the mosquitofish.
    "In the Bahamas, mosquitofish cannot retract their gonopodia and they often display or swing them during courtship."
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/05/050514210341.htm

Courtship and selection occur via a vast array of display behaviours,
    but it seems genital display is hardly ever part of it.
    Sprays of urine are far more common - scent matters more than appearances.
    The male's tool rises to the occasion only after the female has made her choice.
    In most species, she's facing forward and he's behind her.
    She tends not to give even so much as a backward glance.

Ungulates and most land-living herd species are different.
    The male right to a harem of females is decided by battle between the older patriarch and the dominant male of a bachelor herd.
    Females get little or no choice in the matter - although occasionally a female will take a particular dislike to a male and reject him.
    When in the peak of oestrus, the female displays by urinating, winking with her vulva, and adopting the mating stance showing readyness.
    The male doesn't bother to display to his females,
    but he will display towards rivals by peeing, threatening postures and vocalisations.

All this brings into question why human males are reportedly so obsessed with the size of their equipment.
    I think I can guess - but it definitely wouldn't pass the TOS on this main page.

This post was edited by inky at August 12, 2019 3:24 AM MDT
      August 11, 2019 1:24 AM MDT

Wait, what?

August 11, 2019 2:04 AM MDT

I heard the term "balls out', but that is a railroad term that means  ' going full steam with the governor fully extended.' 
      August 11, 2019 7:50 AM MDT

•   August 11, 2019 9:47 AM MDT

• This question probably  says more about your dating strategy than you intended. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at August 12, 2019 3:24 AM MDT
      August 11, 2019 10:07 AM MDT

Huge Giggles!!!!!!!
      August 12, 2019 3:24 AM MDT

Count me among those disturbed by the implications of your question.  And why are you wearing a trench coat in this weather?
      August 11, 2019 10:28 AM MDT

I call it my Summer Surprise Actionwear. 

~
      August 11, 2019 6:03 PM MDT

Well it will certainly be a surprise if you get any action.
      August 11, 2019 9:11 PM MDT

I’ll get some wear and tear. 
    ~
      August 11, 2019 9:12 PM MDT

• I have zero answers regarding displays of genitalia within the animal kingdom.  I would refer any curious mind to bookworm's very informative reply at the top of this thread.  I could likely give you more sound information about such behavior in fraternities and gyms/spas than in the wild.  What I do know for certain is that men are wired to be visual.  We respond very quickly and easily to visual stimuli.  Unfortunately men erroneously assume that women are wired the same way.  Hence, the sharing of the "dick pic" or struting around flashing one's "junk".  
    I don't know how well that actually works in regards to the opposite gender, from what I understand it is most often a huge "fail".  I can tell you with absolute certainty, and with a deplorable lack of shame, that it sure gets my attention., and probably would many other gay guys as well. So, having said all that, got any pics you wanna share?
      August 11, 2019 10:47 AM MDT

SO-oo true. THANK YOU, Twinkle.
    We, women, are visual to some degree, but factors other than the visual matter far more to most of us.
    I have often wished that het. men would stop projecting or imagining that female sexuality works the same way as theirs.
    It just doesn't and never has.
    We're not biologically wired in the same way.
    Hets have the complication that they have to learn what the opposite gender needs and enjoys, learn each new individual, and avoid falling into the trap of template thinking.
      August 11, 2019 10:59 AM MDT

• I've never claimed to know very much about women, but what I have learned is that they are very layered and multi-faceted in a beautiful way but also in a way that can seem confusing and maddening to men at times.  They are a labyrinth of  thoughts and emotions.  It requires work on our part to fully comprehend the intricacies that coalesce to form the heart and mind of the female.  Love makes all that effort worth while.  Guys on the other hand can be rather trainable and affectionate.  We think, but not always too deeply and are easily distracted.  We are not overly complicated to understand.  If someone fails to figure us out its because they aren't trying and haven't been paying attention in class.  We eat, we sleep, we have sex.  Work and sports fall in there somewhere.  We often make good pets.  I think everyone should have one.  LOL!
      August 11, 2019 11:28 AM MDT

I don't seem to fit in when it comes to junk and if a guy is appealing to me. I've never really been drawn to seeing simply and only a junk/package image and/or a guy flashing his penis. (Which i admit has not happened very often at all to me, ha) .

Size/shape/etc - - means very little to me. I truly never know what I will find attractive in a guy -- and seeing just his dick? Eh. I like seeing all of him (not necessarily nude, I just like, literally, seeing a guy from head to toe). I fear I make no sense here. But, in the long run, yeah - - I'm with you -- I'd still look at just genitalia. After all, if it's guys it's good, ha!
    :)

But, as far as seeing a single-by-itself male body part?  - - - forearms? sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

;)

Image result for man's forearms

Image result for man\s forearms                           

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at August 12, 2019 3:26 AM MDT
      August 11, 2019 9:23 PM MDT