Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Fill in the Blank » Without ______’s contributions, the world certainly would not be as we know it.

Without ______’s contributions, the world certainly would not be as we know it.

Fill in the blank.
Give as many examples as you like. 

Posted - August 12, 2019

Responses

• Oh, I am quite sure of my answer to this one.  Maybe its because I am a writer.  Maybe its because I love books.  Words are my medium, not spoken words, but rather the ones that fill blank pages like beautiful paints on a canvas. 

The list of historical and even some contemporary figures whom the human race are beholden to is a long one indeed.  Many are even controversial and open to interpretation.  I submit to you however, that without Johannes Gutenberg's contributions to all of us through the invention of the printing press the world would have advanced quite differently.  Perhaps if he hadn't brought about such a marvel at the time, someone else eventually might have.  These small revisions though could have had ripple effects causing many varied outcomes. 

I think of his contribution as significant because it completely changed our ability to disseminate information.  Now spreading faster and greater in volume, words of knowledge were able to grace quiet empty pages that had been anxiously waiting to be given a voice and something to say.  These pages, these books, made their way into longing hands that could hold them up before eyes wide with wonder and give drink to parched minds thirsting to learn. 

Much time has passed since 1445 when this new technology was birthed, yet I argue that even the year 2019, so far removed from that prior time, still stands on this firm and integral building block.  One of many blocks that have helped construct the foundation of society and eventually giving us the ability to reach our gleaming pinnacles of today. 
      August 12, 2019 3:48 PM MDT

As you say, there are a great many worthy examples that can be cited, and you picked a good one. 
    I’ve always ranked written language as mankind‘s most significant achievement, the power to share thoughts and words across time and distance. So indeed we agree. 
    I would point out that Mr Gutenberg really only improved upon the movable printing techniques that had been in use in China since before the 7th century. But he seeded world literacy.  This post was edited by Don Barzini at August 17, 2019 10:28 AM MDT
      August 12, 2019 4:08 PM MDT

Definitely cheating on my part; but if I could read this out loud, I'd probably finish with a "mike drop."

https://thomasaquinas.edu/a-liberating-education/syllabus
      August 12, 2019 4:09 PM MDT

This is all good stuff, but what are we putting in the blank? 

Education, or Aquinas himself? 
      August 12, 2019 4:21 PM MDT

That was my problem---choosing; and I was trying to pick an author who was widely known and perhaps even studied in "1st world" countries. 

I googled "Great books of the Western World" for inspiration since I no longer had my set.  On that site, I found the link that I posted in my answer.  I think I slipped into a trance as I read the names in the syllabus and thus did not specifically answer the question.

Aristotle said, "Things are said to be named equivocally when, though they have a common name, the definition corresponding with the name differs for each." 

The fallacy of equivocation seems to be the basis for numerous wrong answers on here.  Reading Aristotle and Aquinas can teach one how to think.

So, I'll put Aristotle since he brought up the issue before Aquinas; but if one seeks to a copy a style of proving one's point, Aquinas is the one to read to learn how to argue a point.
      August 17, 2019 10:45 AM MDT

Excellent. 
    Anytime we can invoke classical reasoning on this site, we are all well served. 
      August 17, 2019 12:15 PM MDT

I fear I will find a unicorn first.
      August 17, 2019 12:28 PM MDT

Dr. Jonas Salk - without him, we would still be dealing with polio
      August 12, 2019 5:59 PM MDT

Thanks to some anti-vaxxers of the Radical Muslim persuasion, some countries in Africa still are. 

But for the civilized world, what a gift Dr Salk brought us. 

August 12, 2019 6:10 PM MDT

Yes, it was quite a gift.  Anti-vaxxers are not just the Muslim persuasion.  The Orthodox Jewish community is just as bad.  Most of the concentrated outbreaks of measles have been in the Orthodox communities.  Their rabbis have stated that the vaccines are safe and encourage them to get the shots.  In fact, in NYS, if you can't show you've gotten vaccinated, or medically exempted, you can't register your child for school.  I think that's an excellent way to approach it.
      August 12, 2019 8:08 PM MDT

That’s how it was when I was a kid.
    You couldn’t attend school unvaccinated, your parents had to present shot records, and some vaccinations were even provided in school. 
      August 12, 2019 8:12 PM MDT

For me as well.  We had to present proof of vaccinations and every September we had to show that you had been to the dentist.  
      August 12, 2019 9:21 PM MDT

Me either! :) :)
      August 13, 2019 12:49 AM MDT

Nikola Tesla
      August 12, 2019 8:13 PM MDT

Doesn‘t it boggle the mind, genius that he was, he died broke and alone? 
      August 12, 2019 8:32 PM MDT

He honestly DIDN'T CARE about money, his most brilliant concepts were all patented by others. It's commonly believed that he was autistic.
      August 12, 2019 8:34 PM MDT

I think a fair comparison can be made to Mozart. Another odd genius whose greatness wasn’t recognized in his lifetime. 
      August 12, 2019 8:46 PM MDT

Neither was Beethoven. However, WAM and LvB had no problems with social interaction, Mozart in particular was a known partier with a lewd sense of humour. Tesla was a recluse. Late in life he was often seen feeding the pigeons in Bryant Park, he related more with the birds than people.
      August 12, 2019 8:52 PM MDT

Damn musicians, right?
    I hope Motley Crue don’t think they invented it. lol.

Mr Westinghouse owes his legacy to Tesla. Modern civilization owes him a debt of gratitude. 
      August 12, 2019 9:03 PM MDT

American Red Cross
    Betty Crocker
    Soliders
    Truckers

The list could be endless.  We all need one another :) :)
      August 13, 2019 12:52 AM MDT

Henry Bessemer and James Watt
      August 14, 2019 3:01 PM MDT

Science, baby
      August 17, 2019 1:02 PM MDT

your
      August 16, 2019 3:34 PM MDT

Why Vlad Putin and the Hackers of course.

August 17, 2019 12:21 PM MDT